Ducks and cougs

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
No pride in this victory. Poor defensive performance marked by an error in game planning so obvious, J and I were ready to go apoplectic.

Officiating was horrible all around, and I'm glad it's over. Hell of a game by the Cougs, though.

cesame

Reaction score
Blatant holding by Washing State WR's and pick plays for Washington State all night.

Smellyman

Reaction score
most blatant non call PI I have seen in a long time.

p12 needs to protect that playoff spot

kearly

Reaction score
How weird is it that WSU is 1-3 and UW is 4-0, and yet WSU has looked more impressive this season?

davidonmi

Reaction score
Terrible call at the end, but I don't think WSU would've been able to stop Mariotta regardless.
Their defense combined with the attrition on the offensive line, I don't think Oregon is that great this year.
However with the lack of competition at the top of the pac-12 I still think they win the conference. Will they get into the playoffs though? Probably not.

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":cgqxty38 said:
How weird is it that WSU is 1-3 and UW is 4-0, and yet WSU has looked more impressive this season?
Both have been pretty bad, hard to say one has looked more impressive than the other

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":jtgxrf7x said:
Sarlacc83":jtgxrf7x said:
Protecting? WSU has 4 penalties for 39 yards vs 10-86. Not a chance. In fact, the bad calls have mostly gone the Cougs way. Like the PI where there wasn't any contact by the Oregon DB.

And then the uncalled OPI on the most recent TD.

Come on dude... anyone could have played O-line for Oregon tonight... they weren't going to call holding no matter what, so you know, tackle them, sweep the leg, pull out a knife and slit the throats of those Cougar rushers -- whatever it took - the league was not going to risk their superstar QB again in the that second half.

I'm not saying Oregon didn't get away with stuff. I an saying the Cougars received the same help because the crew was straight up awful.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Wait a minute people are complaining that the refs called the game for UO? What a joke, WSU benifited far more from crap no calls and phantom face mask than UO did. Everyone runs a pick, but they don't get away with knocking the DB down over and over again. And on 3rd and a 100, WSU is bailed out on a bs facemask.

Good news is, the OL should be close to 100% in two weeks, so anyone who thinks this OL is what the rest of the PAC will see is kidding themselves. With Fisher the OL played great vs arguably the best DL UO will play all year in Michigan state. Get him back and this O looks a lot diffrent.

The cougs played great, and good luck the rest of the way.

drrew

Reaction score
CPHawk":3oezr3m7 said:
Wait a minute people are complaining that the refs called the game for UO? What a joke, WSU benifited far more from crap no calls and phantom face mask than UO did.

The defender clearly led with the crown of his helmet and was lucky not to get thrown out of the game. That head ref didn't throw the flag, and the fact that he managed to mix-up exactly what was called is secondary to the actual penalty that was committed.

I don't thing the refs did either team any favors, but the non PI call was especially egregious and it ended the game. That call at that point in the game cannot be missed.

Lastly, a good chunk of the Oregon passing game is built around pick plays and has been for years, making it especially amusing to see Duck fans complain about another team turning the tables.

kearly

Reaction score
Some missed calls are bigger than others. In terms of win probability, that missed PI call at the end was probably bigger than all the rest of the blown calls combined. It was huge. I wouldn't hold it against WSU fans for being sore on that call, especially since they aren't used to hanging with Oregon.

davidonmi":7wfehd76 said:
kearly":7wfehd76 said:
Both have been pretty bad, hard to say one has looked more impressive than the other

I've been impressed by the Cougs. WSU was competitive in all three losses, against 2 decent teams and nearly upset Oregon. Halliday is putting up monster numbers. WSU had just one cupcake on their schedule and crushed them 59-21.

WSU reminds me of UW a couple years ago when they put up great stats but somehow finished 7-6 thanks to bad luck in close games. WSU had the same problem last year too. Maybe it just comes with the territory with Mike Leach.

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":d13xa14m said:
Some missed calls are bigger than others. In terms of win probability, that missed PI call at the end was probably bigger than all the rest of the blown calls combined. It was huge. I wouldn't hold it against WSU fans for being sore on that call, especially since they aren't used to hanging with Oregon.

davidonmi":d13xa14m said:
kearly":d13xa14m said:

I've been impressed by the Cougs. WSU was competitive in all three losses, against 2 decent teams and nearly upset Oregon. Halliday is putting up monster numbers. WSU had just one cupcake on their schedule and crushed them 59-21.

WSU reminds me of UW a couple years ago when they put up great stats but somehow finished 7-6 thanks to bad luck in close games. WSU had the same problem last year too. Maybe it just comes with the territory with Mike Leach.
C'mon kearly. Rutgers and Nevada aren't very good football teams. 1-3 is bad no matter which way you slice it

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Its funny hearing all the complaining from Oregon fans about WSU's pick plays when their final touchdown drive included four passing plays in a row with pick plays, three of them borderline illegal. Regardless, WSU played more man than they should have, there isn't a universe where the WSU secondary can run with Oregon's receivers.

Fun game, great atmosphere. Fun game to be at. A little pissed about that horrible non PI call. The crew was bad/inconsistent all night. In the stadium I didn't get multiple replays on calls, but I think the complaining that Mariota should have been flagged for intentional grounding is unfounded. A receiver was in the area, and he made an unbelievable play to elude the sack. He's incredible.

WSU's front seven played up to their ability last night, tenacious with excellent technique for the first time all season. If that energy was brought every week this team is 3-1.

Oregon's defensive scheme was awful, but, I figured going in that he didn't really know what he was doing, Aliotti knew how to handle the Air Raid, this guy doesn't.

Cougs needed to play perfect to win and didn't, couple fumbles screwed up solid scoring opportunities and missed a field goal. I can't say they would have scored if the refs had made the obvious, and correct call, but I would like to see them have the opportunity. Felt robbed of a real exciting moment at the end there regardless of outcome.

It's unfortunate that a great, exciting game in the Pac 12 was once again marred by dicey officiating. Maybe they will fix that in another decade or so.

CPHawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":1gww8g6c said:
Its funny hearing all the complaining from Oregon fans about WSU's pick plays when their final touchdown drive included four passing plays in a row with pick plays, three of them borderline illegal. Regardless, WSU played more man than they should have, there isn't a universe where the WSU secondary can run with Oregon's receivers.

Fun game, great atmosphere. Fun game to be at. A little pissed about that horrible non PI call. The crew was bad/inconsistent all night. In the stadium I didn't get multiple replays on calls, but I think the complaining that Mariota should have been flagged for intentional grounding is unfounded. A receiver was in the area, and he made an unbelievable play to elude the sack. He's incredible.

WSU's front seven played up to their ability last night, tenacious with excellent technique for the first time all season. If that energy was brought every week this team is 3-1.

Oregon's defensive scheme was awful, but, I figured going in that he didn't really know what he was doing, Aliotti knew how to handle the Air Raid, this guy doesn't.

Cougs needed to play perfect to win and didn't, couple fumbles screwed up solid scoring opportunities and missed a field goal. I can't say they would have scored if the refs had made the obvious, and correct call, but I would like to see them have the opportunity. Felt robbed of a real exciting moment at the end there regardless of outcome.

It's unfortunate that a great, exciting game in the Pac 12 was once again marred by dicey officiating. Maybe they will fix that in another decade or so.

Aliotti gave up over 400 yards passing both times he went against the air raid, is that handling it? NA was a avg at best DC, and Pellum seems to be a notch above Holt.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
CPHawk":132xqmq3 said:
seahawk2k":132xqmq3 said:

Aliotti gave up over 400 yards passing both times he went against the air raid, is that handling it? NA was a avg at best DC, and Pellum seems to be a notch above Holt.

A fair amount of yards both of those years came when the game was decided. Aliotti always did a good job mixing up his coverages and bringing pressure from multiple places. Eventually, both years, the WSU quarterbacks broke and made huge turnovers in the second half.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
cesame":1aibthya said:
Blatant holding by Washing State WR's and pick plays for Washington State all night.

LOL

Leave it to spoiled Oregon fans to whine about this nonsense. You are grasping at straws.