DVR review Seahawks vs. Raiders

kearly

Reaction score
-After calling every fringe hold and a few phantom holds last week, the officiating crew in the Raiders game was far more lenient. On the first drive alone, I counted three blatant holds by Seahawks OL. All three went unnoticed by the officiating. Seattle had a good number of penalties in this game, but holding wasn't called for very many of them.

-Unger had some trouble with whoever the nose tackle was on the first play. He was beaten on the very first snap, turned as the guy ran past him and practically bear hugged him before counting one-one-thousand and letting go. A few plays later, Unger would hold again on the play where Wilson scrambled to his left for a big gain.

-Giacomini got away with a hold on the catch and run play where Luke Willson caught the ball and got inside the 5 yard line.

-Stephen Williams had just one catch, and apparently that one catch gave him a concussion. Watching the game again, you can totally see it. Williams is so focused on catching the ball he doesn't control his body and ends up whipping the back of his head right on the ground violently. He was slow to get up afterwards and looked woozy.

-Some good blocks set up Turbin's rush TD. Sweezy and Giacomini doubled a DL and drove him four yards back while disrupting other defenders in the area as well. It's not often you see a bulldozing of that caliber on a goal line area snap. Zach Miller did just enough to keep his assignment engaged. Derrick Coleman performed a patented John Moffitt™ run block, the kind of clutch block that gets the job done with little to no margin for error. Doing so held the hole open just enough for Turbin to complete a leaping, semi-stumbling TD run from about four yards out.

-Siliga and McDonald started. Malcolm Smith essentially started (didn't see him on the very first snap, but he was out there after that).

-Red Bryant was roughly 50/50 splitting time between DT and 5-tech. He had a batted pass once again. Bryant looks stronger, faster, more sudden, and more explosive than I remember him being in any preseason prior. He only occasionally dominates and when he does those displays usually aren't jaw dropping, but he really knows how to play disciplined, savvy football. Of all our D-linemen, Red Bryant looks the best coached.

-Siliga was driven back a couple yards on one double team but for the most part he's got a quality anchor. He's not really much of a run defender in terms of closing in on the tackle or shedding blocks, but just having the ability to take on blockers while getting in the runner's way has value.

-McDonald took some snaps at the 5-tech. He didn't stand out there good or bad.

-Carpenter played almost the entire game and looked solid out there, which meant he was our best lineman after the starting unit left. On one play early in the game he had maybe the most violent looking hit on a cut block that I've seen. Carp has brute strength, no question. He's slow as molasses attacking the 2nd level though and at one point had a linebacker run right around his block attempt before making the tackle for no-gain.

-Oakland frequently had 8 or even 9 players in the box, and was constantly gambling to blitz the run. Seattle's run blocking wasn't great, the RB performances weren't great, but I think this was the biggest factor in regards to the lack of rushing production.

-Christine Michael turned chicken shit into chicken salad at times during the first three weeks, but not so much luck this time. He was slower making decisions and also had some poor reads. He did have a very nice catch and run and a quality 10 yard rush, so there were a couple bright spots.

-Turbin struggled too, although he had a nice run on 3rd and 1 that got the first down after Turbin showed good patience and dove for the first down at the first hint of opportunity.

-Bowie, Johnson, and Bailey had issues with defenders slipping off of run blocks, even run blocks that promising beginnings.

-Rishaw Johnson had a nice start in San Diego, but since then he's regressed back to his 2012 version. In this game he slid off numerous blocks and Ole!'d several swim-moving DTs for instant pressures and QB hits. He had trouble with player's slipping off his good blocks, too. He's got plenty of power and is great at the second level, but there are too many times he plays like he has T-Rex arms.

-Person had a terrible game.

-Jeanpierre had no shortage of "Ole!" moments in pass pro.

-Bowie was doing decent before leaving with an injury.

-Bailey has cooled off some, but still looks the part of a future starter.

-Spencer Ware had a solid game at RB and added a big hit for a tackle on special teams.

-Jaye Howard had quite a few pressures and QB hits in this game. His swim move and spin move are both effective.

-They should probably move kickoffs back 5 yards in the preseason so that prospective kick returners can actually return kicks.

-Michael Brooks took some snaps at 5-tech, and did not look good there. He was pancaked on the very first snap I saw him there.

-Coleman made my notes a few times for weak lead blocks that contributed to failed runs. However, he continues to flash terrific ability as a receiver and what really caught my attention in this game was how fast he looks after the catch. If there is one area where Coleman has a genuine advantage over Robinson (other than age and salary), it's his speed after the catch.

-WIllson showed nice hands on his catches. Fells was a body catcher on his second reception though he looked smooth and in control while doing it.

-The best block of the game was from Turbin. It came on 4th and 1 when T-jack did a naked bootleg to his right for the first down and more. Turbin launched himself like a missile into the defender's lower body and completely took him out of the play. Awesome block.

-Before his two big receptions, Kearse had an awesome block to set up a 17 yard catch and run down the sideline, though it was wiped out due to a (legit) holding call on Arceto Clark.

-Clark made up for it the next play with a tough catch in the middle of the field.

-Luke Willson released a run block too early and it resulted in an easy TFL, the one where it looked like Michael rolled right into the defender.

-On one run play Howard guess a gap (he guessed wrong) while Irvin shot upfield too aggressively. That left a massive hole with two lead blockers coming through against two LBs. A great RB probably takes that run to the house, but Bradford limited the damage to only 10 yards despite having two blockers in his face.

-Irvin's "sack" came on a read option keeper by Pryor. Sure, the WRs were running downfield, but it looked pretty obvious to me that the play was intended to be a run all the way.

-Not only did Lane down a punt around the 5 yard line, he also came extremely close to blocking the Raider's 2nd field goal.

-Jeanpierre and Person kept making my notes for bad reasons, in regards to both the run and pass. Jeanpierre had one nice run block, and that's about it.

-Winston Guy looked faster, explosive, and in control. He had a good game and made my notes a few times for quality plays. He very nearly had an acrobatic interception, but ran out of bounds. Had he dragged his feet while still in-bounds, he would have gotten one.

-Bradford had a nice game. Plenty of tackles plus a recovered fumble. He looks promising as a blitzer and seems capable in coverage.

-Mayowa had a sack + forced fumble.

-After slumping for a while, Michael Brooks finished the end of the 4th quarter with 3 splash plays. Howard had a surge of splash plays at the end as well.

-Shead is a big looking corner, not tall, but wide and sturdy. He's been good in coverage and had a big hit to end Oakland's final drive.

-Irvin played a decent amount and didn't have a ton of impact, though he did have at least one good pressure on the QB that I saw.

-Fat Rabbit played some center at the end of the game. He has a long way to go, but I was impressed watching his athleticism and speed on display when he was running to the 2nd level to block a LB.

seatownboy

Reaction score
Kearly said the S word in this post, what a bad boy! Why you be ragging on our oline for holding man, they blocked just fine get off there backs.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Alright, gotta ask, who's fat rabbit? I saw you refer to that before as well and I have no clue who you're talking about.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Most disturbing nickname ever, if only people knew what fat rabbit meant to SOME people.

drdiags

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3q06pz0t said:
Alright, gotta ask, who's fat rabbit? I saw you refer to that before as well and I have no clue who you're talking about.

Jared ????, former DL being converted to center? Or maybe it is Ryan Seymour? Now I have to go figure it out.

drdiags

Reaction score
I see you guys are too quick and I should avoid trying to answer questions. It is of no use. ha ha..

seatownboy

Reaction score
Irvins "sack" is him chasing down an elite athlete in the backfield, what a bum. Oh yeah I forgot you been ragging on him all offseason, he will only get 5 sacks this season. I would like these posts more if they were bias. Irvin also played well in coverage and had a few hard tackles too mention. Take the goggles off, if your going to try and write a constructive review. Not just write posts like he did squat, when he had an above average performance with good production.

hawksnfcsbest

Reaction score
seatownboy":enxhjvfm said:
Irvins "sack" is him chasing down an elite athlete in the backfield, what a bum. Oh yeah I forgot you been ragging on him all offseason, he will only get 5 sacks this season. I would like these posts more if they were bias. Irvin also played well in coverage and had a few hard tackles too mention. Take the goggles off, if your going to try and write a constructive review. Not just write posts like he did squat, when he had an above average performance with good production.

Are you a Seahawks fan? just wondering so I didn't assume from ALL your back handed posts on this site about the Hawks, that you are just a boy that lives in Seattle and roots for a team besides the team in his own town. Because I would hate to make that mistake.......

I do however know that the author of this post, who has been a member here for a looooong time and has earned his due respect, took the time and wrote a pretty dang good review of the Raiders game and you just want to bring up some BS about his post so you can rag on him and pat yourself on the back for doing so. I would truly love to read your summary of the game if ya have one? :thirishdrinkers:

:49ersmall:

Tical21

Reaction score
seatownboy":q7rfdw46 said:
I went to the game with the intention of watching five players: Irvin, Bradford, Brooks, Michael and Carpenter. When I go to preseason games, I don't follow the ball or the play, I just focus on individual players. For some reason I got enthralled with watching Irvin, and ended up solely focusing on him for about 75% of our defensive plays. Sorry bro, but he didn't do much. A lot of it wasn't his fault. They didn't run at him all that often, and they didn't send many receivers his way either. In the 4th quarter he played DE, and tried to speed rush a few times and ended up stymied. As a LB, he dropped back into coverage and followed the QB's eyes, but there wasn't much going his direction. When they ran at him, he danced with the TE. He did make a very good play on Pryor. Nobody else would have been able to chase him down. And that could come in handy against a good number of NFC QB's. But to say he had good production is stretching more than my spandex.

seatownboy

Reaction score
LOL saying he got a sack nobody else could have got in a post, than saying he wasn't that good makes you look like a guru bud. I just watched every Seahawks preseason game from start to finish, so I can troll the boards you caught me! I with the double poster here, Irvin sucks he just got the most sacks as a rookie last year because im not a Seahawks fan.

I always forget everyone knows what is what on this board, cause Mrob is still on the team. Oh that's right 95% of you mocked people for posting anything saying he might get cut. Sorry for not agreeing with everything posted by everyone on this board bud.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
seatownboy":3jikzrvw said:

love it when the new guy comes in and talks down to the respected veterans.

hawksnfcsbest

Reaction score
seatownboy":2au7cidq said:
LOL saying he got a sack nobody else could have got in a post, than saying he wasn't that good makes you look like a guru bud. I just watched every Seahawks preseason game from start to finish, so I can troll the boards you caught me! I with the double poster here, Irvin sucks he just got the most sacks as a rookie last year because im not a Seahawks fan.

I always forget everyone knows what is what on this board, cause Mrob is still on the team. Oh that's right 95% of you mocked people for posting anything saying he might get cut. Sorry for not agreeing with everything posted by everyone on this board bud.

Actually you have done one heck of a job at disagreeing with someone in almost every post you have on this site since you joined, what, 2 weeks ago. Just change your name already, embrace what fanbase you are truly a part of. Because if you truly are a Hawks fan I feel bad for you because your negative-only attitude will prevent you from enjoying anything positive that may happen to your favorite team.

that's all i'll stop feeding trolls :thirishdrinkers:

seatownboy

Reaction score
I have plenty of posts agreeing with people all over this board. You can choose to ignore those and say I am bad fan for defending a player that I like a lot. Just because I am sarcastic, doesn't mean I don't like the Seahawks. I like reading Kearly posts, its just sometimes I feel he takes his feelings from the offseason, into his reviews. Even though in my eyes the players did well. Me being positive about Irvin and negative towards kearly, makes me not enjoy the Seahawks?

chris98251

Reaction score
No body thinks anyone thats a fan of the Seahawks is a bad fan, the point thats being made and asked is are you a Seahawks fan or just a Troll trying to stir shit up? your whole 107 post count is a sign of a truly lengthy and stimulating career here judgeing contributors. We have sarcasm here, we have jerks, assholes, and kiss ass's and elitists, we have serious fans, those that can't help themselves and are obsessive compulsive about grammer and spelling,but we all are fans, now the question is are you ?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
seatownboy":2ywm0mv8 said:

What is wrong with you?

hawksnfcsbest

Reaction score
chris98251":1337e1tr said:
No body thinks anyone thats a fan of the Seahawks is a bad fan, the point thats being made and asked is are you a Seahawks fan or just a Troll trying to stir shit up? your whole 107 post count is a sign of a truly lengthy and stimulating career here judgeing contributors. We have sarcasm here, we have jerks, assholes, and kiss ass's and elitists, we have serious fans, those that can't help themselves and are obsessive compulsive about grammer and spelling,but we all are fans, now the question is are you ?

This is exactly what I was wondering

Also if your using sarcasm please let the rest of us know, :sarcasm_on: since we are on an internet forum and truly can't tell, their should be emoticons on the left side of your computer screen and many come in handy from time to time. :sarcasm_off:

I'm one of the posters that would be grouped in the serious fans clique since I really only come around really quick to check out if there is any kind of Hawks related news or tidbits that is truly hard to find without a great community like .NET. I figured that out over 10 years ago but as you can see by my post count that I don't post much, that is unless I have something to add or really want to say about a certain subject. Just like a lot of environments its hard to read people unless you have some sort of idea what their personality/attitude might be.

So if you are a Hawks fan and not just another one of the sum-odd hundreds of trolls that just like to talk trash about the Hawks just to annoy people that I have seen roll through this community over the years, Welcome to .NET and I hope to have some sort of constructive banter about the team we both love so much that we take time out of our day to visit this site just so we can either find out news about the Hawks and/or want to talk to like minded fans of the awesome Hawk Nation!

olyfan63

Reaction score
seatownboy":3ctblto0 said:

By God, your precise grasp of formal logic to pick apart other's posts over trivialities makes you one helluva Seahawks expert above all others. How giving of you, you've appointed yourself as God's gift to NFL talk forums. Yup, you're like a traveling missionary, sharing your gift, dumbing down NFL message boards everywhere. You sound like a Raiders fan stuck in Seattle. Must be a living hell for you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seatownboy, someday they will drop, and you will be a seatownman.

I think after you get banned, when you come back under a new name, it should include the word Pomeranian, or some other small yappy dog.