Eagles Targeting Hauschka

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1g4czxml said:
RolandDeschain":1g4czxml said:
If we lose Hauschka, I hope we sign kickalicious.

That'd be fine by me.
I want to see if he can make it in the pros. It seems like the kind of signing Pete Carroll would do, and it'd turn out well, lol.

drdiags

Reaction score
That article was more like Eagles beat reporters are targeting Hauschka. I guess they may have heard something in the hallway but the article is just speculation about possibilities for upgrading the kicker Henery or not.

sutz

Reaction score
drdiags":3ageex4j said:
That article was more like Eagles beat reporters are targeting Hauschka. I guess they may have heard something in the hallway but the article is just speculation about possibilities for upgrading the kicker Henery or not.
Yeah, it's kind of early in FA for people to start targeting kickers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Total BS. Philly drafted Henery in the 4th round for good reason.

"Henery set a team record and rookie NFL benchmark with a 88.9% field goal percentage after being selected in the fourth round of the 2011 draft and already owns two of the four most accurate seasons in franchise history."

"A first-team All-America selection in 2010, Henery handled the kicking and punting duties at the University of Nebraska, and finished his career as the most accurate kicker in NCAA history."

I'm sure they'll re-sign Hauschka, he's too big a part of this team and without him we lose 2+ games this year. His leg strength has improved, his distance and accuracy is getting better, and he is comfortable with the team.

I don't want to bring in a new kicker only to have him lose us 2 or 3 games because he's not familiar with the long snapper, the holder, and Centurylink field conditions. It would be absolutely foolish.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
1. Eagles aren't replacing Henrey. Don't buy that for a second.

2. Like everyone Hauschka will regress to the mean (or, his mean, which is definitely lower than last season -- the same is true of Dawson, of course). Last year was an unreal year for him. He hasn't done it before, and I'd bet on him not ever doing it again. Per usual, you don't want to pay for someone's best year that they've already had.

3. We can re-narrate it every which way we want, but him calling a timeout and not taking a kick most likely isn't viewed too favorably by a lot of coaches. Maybe that's wrong and he should be commended for it, but for better or for worse I think it's a flag for some ST coaches and HCs.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zgn48wh said:
3. We can re-narrate it every which way we want, but him calling a timeout and not taking a kick most likely isn't viewed too favorably by a lot of coaches. Maybe that's wrong and he should be commended for it, but for better or for worse I think it's a flag for some ST coaches and HCs.

But a QB that changes the play at the line is desirable?

drdiags

Reaction score
I agree with item 3. Will have to see if that affects the team bringing him back. I am sure if things had turned out differently there would have been a lot more blowback from that incident.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1woj79jn said:
Popeyejones":1woj79jn said:

But a QB that changes the play at the line is desirable?

You're creating a fight where there isn't one. Twice in the same sentence (to deter a response like this one) I clarified that I wasn't making a value-judgement about him doing it and if it was actually good strategy or not, just saying that for some coaches I suspect it wouldn't be viewed favorably.

Also, I think you're smarter than your rhetorical question, which doesn't really make sense as a comparison.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Creating a fight? I just found the critique deserving of it's own. He went up to the line, thought "This really isn't going to work" and changed the play. I don't see how it's a bad thing. Not any different than a QB getting up there, seeing the D has them pegged and asking for a TO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, "creating a fight" just meant that you somehow believe I was making a critique (which you thought was "deserving of its own"), despite my efforts to be quite clear twice in one sentence that I wasn't making a critque.

If you seriously can't see the difference between this and the QB scenario you're proposing, I don't know what to tell you. TBH I don't really believe that you can't see the difference, so rather than listing all the reasons I'll just say this: one of them happens ALL THE TIME and the other one basically NEVER happens. You can start from there and work out the rest of the equation. ;)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I'd say that a kicker turning down a kick in good weather would be considered a bad thing.

In Hauschka's case, I'd almost certain that Pete preferred hearing that it was likely going to be a miss because of the preparation before the game instead of Hauschka going out there and missing a long field goal.

Especially since the resulting TD resulted in the 20-17 lead. A FG there (and that sounded unlikely), and it's 17-16 with the 49ers owning the ball at the end of the game. Worked out just fine.

mikeak

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1851o2ma said:
Creating a fight? I just found the critique deserving of it's own. He went up to the line, thought "This really isn't going to work" and changed the play. I don't see how it's a bad thing. Not any different than a QB getting up there, seeing the D has them pegged and asking for a TO.

Kerry Collins went into the Panthers Coach at the time and said that he wasn't the best option as a starter or something to that effect. At the time he took about 10 sacks per snap or something close to that......

Then he was gone from the team. As in immediately, signed with the Saints then ended up with the Giants and while never great made a superbowl with Oakland if memory serves me right

Some coaches will not take any self-doubt / not executing / open to opinions. PC is clearly not like that

Some may be ok with input etc but figure it out quicker, bad use of timeout in that situation and may not like what he did there

The difference between a qb doing it and a kicker is that the qb can throw, run or hand-off the ball. The audible is within those parameters. Hauscka's "audible" took him out of the play completely and cost a time-out. The result of his actions should not be considered when you look at how it went down.

Again - PC most likely has no issue with it and it is within the parameters of how he wants players to act. We also applaude PC for being different and having a completely different leadership style than other coaches......