Eagles wanted to draft Wilson

hungarian_hawk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've found an article , and according to it Andy Reid and the Eagles wanted to draft Russell in the 3rd round, however they were not sure if Russell or Foles is the right choice. Di you know about it?
Considering that we chose to draft Bobby in the 2nd, because we calculated that nobody will take RW, "the pie was hot" :)
Put this here, because I think its interesting :)

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... Foles.html

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, I had heard about this last year. Washington also was considering Wilson. In the case of these two clubs, Foles and Cousins weren't bad picks for them.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, funny how after about halfway through last year, GMs with almost every team started talking about how they had planned to draft Russell Wilson..... :roll:

Mick063

Reaction score
Everybody claims they wanted to draft Russell Wilson.

The bottom line is that they didn't. Knowing Schneider, I bet he would have taken Nick Foles if Wilson was gone at 75 and we would be relatively happy with the results. In other words, the Seahawks would have had their franchise quarterback anyway. Regardless, I am more pleased with how it actually panned out.

With Foles, we would have had to endure a half season of Matt Flynn until he bottomed out.

OP
OP
H

hungarian_hawk

Reaction score
I remember readin something from JS, that the war room has heard some gossip at the draft day, that other teams wanted to take RW, thats why they did not wait until the 4th round.
Do you have any memory of this JS interview?

IcedHawk

Reaction score
Every team in the NFL was supposedly planning to draft Wilson with their next pick.

drdiags

Reaction score
hungarian_hawk":29mqlepz said:
I remember readin something from JS, that the war room has heard some gossip at the draft day, that other teams wanted to take RW, thats why they did not wait until the 4th round.
Do you have any memory of this JS interview?

Only thing I heard was that JS wanted to draft Wilson in the 2nd round and had to be talked out of it by Pete and scouts. I am sure John's stomach was in knots before he got to pick in the 3rd. Pete will tell you today that JS was Wilson's biggest advocate within the organization. I doubt he would have let the team try to get cute and opt to pick Wilson in the 4th.

KK84

Reaction score
Imagine, knowing what we know now, if we were transported to an alternate reality where Russell was snatched right before our pick. That's nightmare material there.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't doubt the Eagles claim at all. They were starting Vick and the time. Conventional wisdom would tell you Wilson would be a great backup to Vick.

pmedic920

Reaction score
KK84":znnyurud said:
Imagine, knowing what we know now, if we were transported to an alternate reality where Russell was snatched right before our pick. That's nightmare material there.

Knowing what we know now, I'd bet Wilson goes either before Luck or right after. :)

olyfan63

Reaction score
The story I read was that Pete wanted RW badly and wanted to go ahead with taking Wilson in the 2nd round. JS talked Pete into waiting one more round.
Does anyone have links to firsthand sources on this? I can't recall exactly where I read it; could have been on one of the local TV station sites or blogs.

HawkWow

Reaction score
olyfan63":t68khy1s said:
The story I read was that Pete wanted RW badly and wanted to go ahead with taking Wilson in the 2nd round. JS talked Pete into waiting one more round.
Does anyone have links to firsthand sources on this? I can't recall exactly where I read it; could have been on one of the local TV station sites or blogs.

I believe the exact opposite was true. Likely one of the primary reasons Pete "thanks the heavens everyday for Russell Wilson". Rumors suggest JS was (even) prepared to use our first pick on RW, Pete talked him into waiting. I'd hate to be in Pete's shoes had RW went before 75. . I'd hate to be in our shoes had RW went before 75. Gulp.

HawkWow

Reaction score
drdiags":qk72ud3f said:
Yeah, I had heard about this last year. Washington also was considering Wilson. In the case of these two clubs, Foles and Cousins weren't bad picks for them.

Well stated.

Snyder, the dolt that he is, would be wise to play Griffin out under Shanahan, then get rid of them both before bringing in a Gruden type to properly develop their future @ QB. Thinks me.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The Eagles had a known interest in Wilson (and QB in general) before the draft. Philadelphia had been active early one (trading up three spots with us in R1), and trading up into the late 2nd round for Vinny Curry. It wasn't likely they'd trade up again in R3 as well.

I think they were like us. They liked Wilson and saw him as the best of the 2nd tier prospects. But not particularly more impressive than Foles or Cousins. So they felt comfortable sitting back and taking whomever was left.

Nobody, not even us, saw Wilson as being the guy that he is. That was confirmed on multiple occasions by Pete and by John.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
There was one fan here that sung his praises before draft. Said something to the effect of him being a franchize qb for some lucky team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Funny, on one of the NFL.com articles ( I can't remember if it was a power ranking or QB article) but he posted a tweet that said "number of NFL executives about to pick Russell Wilson before the Seahawks did at 75...1 billion".

Pretty much everyone is trying to save face and say they wanted Wilson. It's kind of odd.....you don't see that with many players. It goes to show you what a colossal mistake almost every other team made by not grabbing Russ.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Jags were gonna draft Wilson too...but of course having a franchise punter is more important than having a good QB.