Earl --> Canton?

Steve2222

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":c704qurd said:
Grahamhawker":c704qurd said:
Earl is pretty highly respected around the league.

Bye who? ......not any GM's apparently. Earl is a dumb sh*t......period!!

Genius, No team is going to trade a second or first round pick for a safety towards the end of his prime who has a history of injury. He’s in a peculiar situation where he has zero leverage as no team should give up that much for a safety as well as the Seahawks shouldn’t accept anything less than a first or second in return. On the open market he would be coveted by almost every team as he’s without question still a Top 5 FS in the league. If the Seahawks were offering him for a third, the Seahawks would have their choice of many teams to trade him to right this second.

My god some of our fans are dull.

And yes. If he retired today, he might wait awhile, but one day he’d get into the Hall. Super Bowl champ, 5x All Pro, regarded as the 1 or 2 FS in the league basically his whole career, he will make the All Decade team no question, and anchor to one of the greatest defenses in NFL history and the best player of the legendary LOB secondary that will be remembered forever. If he plays a few more years at an elite level, he’s gets into the Hall within his first 5 years of eligibility.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Also, either ET is incredibly stubborn, he’s getting terrible advice from his inner circle, or both. He has nothing to gain from this holdout. It’s quite clear the Seahawks have no Super Bowl aspirations this year. Even if the secondary struggles mightly, the Seahawks aren’t going to budge. His best course of action is to finish this season at 8 million and test the open market in 2019. The Seahawks aren’t going to tag him. They’re ready to move on just as much as he is.

There is no gain for Earl. All there is is losing a ton of money for him.

toffee

Reaction score
Earl has already run to Canton and told them to come get him the minute he done playing.

Tical21

Reaction score
Of course he is in. Catalyst of the best secondary in NFL history. He and Sherman have spots reserved.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I can understand how you could say Earl hasn't been a great player if you haven't watched a single Seahawks game over the past 8 years.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Earl was the most important player on a legendary defense. He isn’t getting interest because nobody is going to give up a king’s ransom for a 1-year rental, and the Hawks have no incentive to let him go for less.

Everybody knows he’s headed to Dallas next year, unless he gets a monster deal from the Hawks this year, so why trade for him?

If he never plays another down, I think he doesn’t make the HOF, even though he has the stats to make it in. I just think the committee will be swayed by the holdout. If the committee were just ex-players, it might be different. If he comes back for another couple of years, I think he’s a lock.

Steve2222

Reaction score
bigskydoc":5qau3nzy said:
Earl was the most important player on a legendary defense. He isn’t getting interest because nobody is going to give up a king’s ransom for a 1-year rental, and the Hawks have no incentive to let him go for less.

Everybody knows he’s headed to Dallas next year, unless he gets a monster deal from the Hawks this year, so why trade for him?

If he never plays another down, I think he doesn’t make the HOF, even though he has the stats to make it in. I just think the committee will be swayed by the holdout. If the committee were just ex-players, it might be different. If he comes back for another couple of years, I think he’s a lock.

It wouldn’t be a one year rental. Similar to Mack, the team trading for him would know full well they’d have to extend him too.

And no, the committee would not be swayed by a holdout lol. TO’s a HOFer and he was a cancer to every team he was on. ET could essentially just retire if the Seahawks don’t budge. The next down in the NFL Earl plays, if he ever does play again, will be in a Seahawks uniform.

themunn

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2htz04p4 said:
I think Earl has a bit to go for HOF, holdout has minimal impact, assuming he comes back to play soon.

He has 3x all pro in a time where he was part of arguably the best defense ever. I think, fair or not, people will need to be convinced (far in the future when it comes time to vote) it was him that made it tick, because he doesn’t really show up in a huge way on the stat sheet or even in the screen broadcast for that matter (need coaches tape to see the deep half). prove it without Sherm, Avril, Bennet, Kam etc.

I think Earl will prove that fine wherever he goes.

Let's not forget we've seen the Seahawks defense without ET but with all of the above mentioned before:

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... arl-thomas

According to Football Outsiders, the Seahawks' defense ranked fifth in passing DVOA through the first 11 weeks of the season (Thomas started every game). From Week 12 to Week 17 -- a span in which Thomas played just one quarter -- the Seahawks ranked 30th.

In those games, only Bennett missed some time (missing the same TB game that ET missed). Sherman, Wagner, Avril & Chancellor all played every game over that spell.

There is a reason he's 3x first team all pro and 2x second team all pro - better than anyone else on the defense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Tical21":2hopusac said:
Of course he is in. Catalyst of the best secondary in NFL history. He and Sherman have spots reserved.
I think they both need one to two more good years to earn their spot in Canton.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
As the greatest defense of the modern era, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, and Richard Sherman will all make the Hall of Fame. Heart, hammer, ego. Legion of Boom.

Steve2222

Reaction score
themunn":19rnilb9 said:
Coug_Hawk08":19rnilb9 said:
I think Earl has a bit to go for HOF, holdout has minimal impact, assuming he comes back to play soon.

He has 3x all pro in a time where he was part of arguably the best defense ever. I think, fair or not, people will need to be convinced (far in the future when it comes time to vote) it was him that made it tick, because he doesn’t really show up in a huge way on the stat sheet or even in the screen broadcast for that matter (need coaches tape to see the deep half). prove it without Sherm, Avril, Bennet, Kam etc.

I think Earl will prove that fine wherever he goes.

Let's not forget we've seen the Seahawks defense without ET but with all of the above mentioned before:

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahaw ... arl-thomas

According to Football Outsiders, the Seahawks' defense ranked fifth in passing DVOA through the first 11 weeks of the season (Thomas started every game). From Week 12 to Week 17 -- a span in which Thomas played just one quarter -- the Seahawks ranked 30th.

In those games, only Bennett missed some time (missing the same TB game that ET missed). Sherman, Wagner, Avril & Chancellor all played every game over that spell.

There is a reason he's 3x first team all pro and 2x second team all pro - better than anyone else on the defense.

I completely agree ET is a key cog to the defense, but so is Bobby Wagner. You remember how bad the defense was in 2014 when Wagner missed 5 games?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":26m7ubf1 said:
Tical21":26m7ubf1 said:

I think they both need one to two more good years to earn their spot in Canton.

I tend to agree...they both need above average years to seal their position in the HOF. If they never play again, they may not be first year entrants.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would find it hard to believe the Legion of Boom wouldn't get Sherm, Earl, and Kam into the Hall. But I guess it is conceivable only Sherm makes it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Earl is close, another productive 3-4 years and it's a slam dunk.

But if for some reason he;

- retires
- injury plagued couple more years
- production drops off quickly

Then it's more of a 50/50. Great safety, but positions like free safety that don't get the picks and big plays that other defensive positions? Need longevity as well.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Dave brown had 62 int, 700 return yrds, 5td. Earl 25 int, 400 return, 2td.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Seahawker76":pi8li6y9 said:

and Earl also has 2 trips to the SB and 1 title under his belt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawker76":1qxo77np said:

Why are you comparing a DB and a safety?

Unfortunately for Earl there are only two modern era safeties to compare him to, Aeneus Williams and Rod Woodson. I assume more are coming (Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed).

That's why I think he needs to have 3-4 more great Earl Thomas type years to get in. Now? I don't think so.

chris98251

Reaction score
Earl probably won't get in on stats, he will be a committee nomination from what he prevented from happening which doesn't show up on the stat sheet but players and coaches see on film by what he takes away from teams.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Sgt.80 comparing et29to Dave brown cb to provide some perspective and to maybe try to get some of you guys off earls jock a bit. Also it would not be fair to et to compare him to ke45 at this stage, a much higher standard. Also 12thbrah, Dave brown got his ring with the 75 Steelers and his 62 int are 9th best all-time. Not trying to be a pain, just tired of today's seemingly lower threshold to enter the hof.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawker76":3acv5x7n said:
Sgt.80 comparing et29to Dave brown cb to provide some perspective and to maybe try to get some of you guys off earls jock a bit. Also it would not be fair to et to compare him to ke45 at this stage, a much higher standard. Also 12thbrah, Dave brown got his ring with the 75 Steelers and his 62 int are 9th best all-time. Not trying to be a pain, just tired of today's seemingly lower threshold to enter the hof.

No one's on Earl's jock.

The fact is he's one of the best free safeties ever to play the game, but if you look at free safeties in the HOF? There are only two (modern era), so it's hard to make it in as a safety.

Just the nature of the position, your job is to erase space and tackle.

So comparing him to a defensive back isn't even a good comparison, it's apples and oranges. Brian Dawkins, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu...........these are the type of safeties Earl's going to be measured up against.

That's why I said he needs another 2-3 All Pro type seasons to get in. Cause his tackles and interceptions aren't up there yet with the other modern day free safeties in the Hall, or close to being in.