Earl Wants To Be Highest Paid Safety in NFL

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Can’t take an article serious if the writer hasn’t done his homework. The writer said that Earl Thomas is a former defensive player of the year which we all know is false.

I’ve said it before - I’ll say it again

Earl Thomas will NOT get 13+. It’s a pipe dream. No one will pay that money for a 30 year old safety with 2 breaks in the same leg.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Can’t take an article serious if the writer hasn’t done his homework. The writer said that Earl Thomas is a former defensive player of the year which we all know is false.

I’ve said it before - I’ll say it again

Earl Thomas will NOT get 13+. It’s a pipe dream. No one will pay that money for a 30 year old safety with 2 breaks in the same leg.

The Breh

Reaction score
Earl is worth more than Berry that's for sure.
There's examples of DB's of HOF caliber that played well into their 30's.
I expect that to be no different with Earl.
I think a lot of folks are personally offended about the finger he gave like it affected them on a day to day basis.
We all know the situation, Earl an emotional man and why he did it.
I'd love to see him back but don't see it obviously.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
In a few months time he'll be the top paid FS in the NFL for two reasons:

(1) He deserves to be, as he's the best FS in the NFL

(2) We're five or six years back into a rising cap era, so even FAs who aren't the best at their position are very briefly the top paid guy at their position each off-season.

The Seahawks won't try to tag and trade him for two reasons:

(1) They're already going to be getting a 3rd round comp for him, so whatever they could get for him by doing this you have to subtract the value of a 3rd round comp.

(2) As they have no intention of resigning him, It would be INCREDIBLY shortsighted to do this, as the message the Hawks would be sending to every agent and every free agent in the NFL is that if you're even willing to consider an offer from Seattle, you better play absolute hardball with them, because they're going to be playing absolute hardball with you (this is why the Eagles backed off on franchising Foles).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":33foa8o1 said:
In a few months time he'll be the top paid FS in the NFL for two reasons:

(1) He deserves to be, as he's the best FS in the NFL

(2) We're five or six years back into a rising cap era, so even FAs who aren't the best at their position are very briefly the top paid guy at their position each off-season. .

I'd be shocked if Earl surpasses Eric Berry or Rashed Jone's guaranteed money.

Now I could definitely see Earl getting a nice two year deal with 15-20M guaranteed...........but for a team to commit a 5 year deal with 40M+ guaranteed that Berry and Jones got with Earl coming off two major leg injuries? Highly unlikely.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":13ycavl5 said:
Now I could definitely see Earl getting a nice two year deal with 15-20M guaranteed...........but for a team to commit a 5 year deal with 40M+ guaranteed that Berry and Jones got with Earl coming off two major leg injuries? Highly unlikely.

Berry got 30 million fully guaranteed and Jones got 20 million fully guaranteed. The number to beat is Berry's 30 million fully guaranteed, not 40 million fully guaranteed.

Likewise, the cap has gone up by about 15% since they got those deals, and they were both only a year younger than Thomas when they signed them. I also don't think NFL teams are nearly as scared off by broken bones as they are by any other type of injury (soft tissue and ligaments, concussions, etc.).

When he says he wants to be the highest paid player at his position he's saying he wants anything greater than 13 million APY, and anything greater than 30 fully guaranteed.

Maybe he doesn't get that, but I'd definitely be surprised.

https://overthecap.com/player/eric-berry/504/

https://overthecap.com/player/reshad-jones/713/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13yj1xrd said:
Sgt. Largent":13yj1xrd said:

Berry got 30 million fully guaranteed and Jones got 20 million fully guaranteed. The number to beat is Berry's 30 million fully guaranteed, not 40 million fully guaranteed.

Likewise, the cap has gone up by about 15% since they got those deals, and they were both only a year younger than Thomas when they signed them. I also don't think NFL teams are nearly as scared off by broken bones as they are by any other type of injury (soft tissue and ligaments, concussions, etc.).

When he says he wants to be the highest paid player at his position he's saying he wants anything greater than 13 million APY, and anything greater than 30 fully guaranteed.

Maybe he doesn't get that, but I'd definitely be surprised.

https://overthecap.com/player/eric-berry/504/

https://overthecap.com/player/reshad-jones/713/

Look at your own links, Berry got 40M guaranteed, and Jones got 35M.

Sportstrac says the same thing.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city ... erry-6514/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolph ... ones-6969/

And Berry suffered a major injury after he signed his deal, again why I highly doubt Earl's going to get that much guaranteed money.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Because there's so much funny money in contracts I'm going off the "fully guaranteed" line item on both of their pages, which is 30 for Berry and 20 for Jones.

If you don't want to use that you can add up the totals on the pro-rated bonus column and guaranteed salary columns, which puts both of them at around 32.

Berry having injuries since signing his deal obviously sucks for the Chiefs, but people don't not pay free agents because other free agents have gotten injured after signing extensions.

Jville

Reaction score
Two million of Rashad Jones $13,015,000 base salary for 2019 becomes fully guaranteed on March 13th.

All $12,400,000 of Eric Berry's 2019 base salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 13th.

So ....... what can be viewed as guarantees can & do increase over the life of a contract as the terms are executed. A distention is expressed with the terms fully guaranteed and total guaranteed.

One can safely assume the same will be true of the next contract for Earl Thomas.

So ..... Earl Thomas is looking for initial guarantees in excess of $29,800,000 plus triggers for new year guarantees that will put him over $40 million as his next contract is executed if he plays out the full length of that contract.

Topping Eric Berry's average yearly number of $13 mil per year looks doable to me ..... unless he changes his mind about his priorities.

massari

Reaction score
seabowl":lxdagha8 said:
Won't we get a compensatory pick for him anyway in like the 3rd or 4th?
The Seahawks would have to hold off on signing free agents that'd cancel the ET comp pick, but if they'd actually get it, they'd get it a year later than if they trade him.

Just had to use the tag on Clark, so it's not happening.

homerun1970

Reaction score
http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...ve-no-interest-in-Earl-Thomas--Landon-Collins

Seems Earl's salary demands aren't in line with the team he wants. He is no doubt going to go down as one of the best ever at his position, Just a shame some of his antics have really colored perceptions around the league not just with the Seahawks. 40 Million or so guaranteed for what is perceived to be a malcontent, makes it hard to rush to get the check book.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
homerun1970":1obm4jxr said:
http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...ve-no-interest-in-Earl-Thomas--Landon-Collins

Seems Earl's salary demands aren't in line with the team he wants. He is no doubt going to go down as one of the best ever at his position, Just a shame some of his antics have really colored perceptions around the league not just with the Seahawks. 40 Million or so guaranteed for what is perceived to be a malcontent, makes it hard to rush to get the check book.

Earl can demand whatever he wants, the market will dictate what he gets paid.............the safety market was soft last year, and it'll be soft again this year with Earl, Collins and now Weddle as free agents.

I do think someone will give him a nice two year deal with maybe 20-25M guaranteed, but that's it. He's delusional if he thinks someone's going to risk 40M+ of guaranteed money on an almost 30 year old safety coming off two major leg injuries.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are so many Free Agent Safeties on the market right now the supply is going to drive the prices down, add his injury and question marks about how he has done stuff he will need to sign a one year prove it deal at a lower salary to get in the door somewhere.

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":cxnwycg1 said:
Sorry Earl, guess they are not "coming to get you" after all :lol:

Nothing wrong with wanting to be the highest paid safety in nfl, especially when one has hungry babies to feed. It's how Earl went about his quest that has been eye opening, he has done everything to devalue himself. Who's his agent and publicist? Oh got it, Earl was his own publicist.

Make no mistake, Earl's on field prowess's worthy of being the highest paid FS.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Clearly one of the best in the league and has been for a long while. WAS my 2nd favorite Hawk, but the way he has acted thru this whole thing? Buh bye, it was time to move on. I think it's hilarious IF it's true that he's not going to end up in Dallas.

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":3ucxalh6 said:
SoulfishHawk":3ucxalh6 said:

Nothing wrong with wanting to be the highest paid safety in nfl, especially when one has hungry babies to feed. It's how Earl went about his quest that has been eye opening, he has done everything to devalue himself. Who's his agent and publicist? Oh got it, Earl was his own publicist.

Maybe used to be. Go watch that injury again. Pretty much just running and making a cut and it snapped like a twig. After seeing that, I would not even consider a top salary with that sort of weakness showing up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
toffee":2n3pad6m said:
SoulfishHawk":2n3pad6m said:

Pro sports is the greatest meritocracy in the world...........if Earl was perfectly healthy team's wouldn't care about his antics.

So it's not his attitude or antics that has devalued him, it's his injuries. Plain and simple.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2r14lsgj said:
toffee":2r14lsgj said:
SoulfishHawk":2r14lsgj said:

Pro sports is the greatest meritocracy in the world...........if Earl was perfectly healthy team's wouldn't care about his antics.

So it's not his attitude or antics that has devalued him, it's his injuries. Plain and simple.

Agreed, and there aren't to many people that wouldn't be pissed if they were in Earls shoes. Of course i wish he wouldnt have flipped anyone off but i understand where hes coming from.