Early Doucet worked out for Hawks today?

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Interesting, especially the timing (today). Would have been scheduled before they knew what the result of Harvin's visit was. We have tons of WR's in camp....so hmmmmmm

Jared Vanegas ‏@jaredv87
The #Dolphins reportedly tried to work out WR Early Doucet on Tuesday, but he was unavailable due to a scheduled workout with the #Seahawks.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Loved this guy coming out of college to the point that I was pissed he landed with the Cardinals.

Hard to know how good or bad he could really be after playing in QB hell in Arizona. Definatly worth kicking the tires on.

PascoHawk

Reaction score
He was once thought to be the replacement for Boldin. Definitely worth checking out.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Doucet and Laurent Robinson are arguably the top 2 WR's available on the market right now, amongst those who are still on the right side of 30. With Robinson the issue is concussions. With Doucet the issue (among other things) is his history of being extremely drop-prone. He's also a very average athlete who doesn't compensate with great size/length, so he lacks the ideal quickness for the flanker position while also lacking the ideal size/speed for the split end position. He's best limited to underneath routes in 3 and 4-wide sets. Given the Harvin news, the Hawks would be wise to bring in some veteran insurance like Doucet at the WR position, but he'd still have an extremely difficult time beating out the younger options with more upside for a spot on the 53 man roster.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is something to possibly push the rookies. Although, they may feel that Rice's injury is worse than they are letting on, which would suck.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
OkieHawk":x6fun92m said:
I'm hoping this is something to possibly push the rookies. Although, they may feel that Rice's injury is worse than they are letting on, which would suck.
Or might mean Harvin is out longer than expected.

If the 49ers haven't kicked the tires with Doucet, I can't imagine this guy being a quality player. Other teams in the NFL are more desperate for a receiver than the Hawks and they haven't even offered Doucet a tryout.

Obviously that doesn't mean Doucet can't be productive in the Hawks' O, but, as of right now, I wouldn't expect much of an impact.

Largent80

Reaction score
I am thinking a lot of players would like to be on this team this year. Obviously we need to deepen the pool.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":31hrbb64 said:
OkieHawk":31hrbb64 said:

If the 49ers haven't kicked the tires with Doucet, I can't imagine this guy being a quality player. Other teams in the NFL are more desperate for a receiver than the Hawks and they haven't even offered Doucet a tryout.

Obviously that doesn't mean Doucet can't be productive in the Hawks' O, but, as of right now, I wouldn't expect much of an impact.

So, your analysis is based on the fact that the Niners haven't tried him out? How do you know? Teams aren't required to disclose free agent tryouts.

The Hawks front office does lots of tryouts. No stone unturned. This tryout does not have to be perceived as anything except lets see if this guy is better than any of our top 6 guys. Due diligence.

Why does it seem we have yet one more Niner fan who can't comment on a NFL subject without running it through the ol' Niner filter first? "Ah, if dis dude was any good, Baalke would have gotten him first, cuz we awsum like dat"

Don't worry, we will be cutting some more receivers soon, just like Lockette and Martin. You can have those guys, no charge.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":33pcw2n8 said:
OkieHawk":33pcw2n8 said:

Maybe Doucet just has more respect for himself than to be labeled a "whiner". :mrgreen:

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2bgaat01 said:

Scottemojo":2bgaat01 said:
So, your analysis is based on the fact that the Niners haven't tried him out? How do you know? Teams aren't required to disclose free agent tryouts.
Reports of 49ers trying out with Austin Collie were reported. Why wouldn't Doucet's?

The Hawks front office does lots of tryouts. No stone unturned. This tryout does not have to be perceived as anything except lets see if this guy is better than any of our top 6 guys. Due diligence.
I'm well aware of that. You're pretty much agreeing with my post.

Why does it seem we have yet one more Niner fan who can't comment on a NFL subject without running it through the ol' Niner filter first? "Ah, if dis dude was any good, Baalke would have gotten him first, cuz we awsum like dat"
I implied that the 49ers have worse depth than the Seahawks at the WR position. So, if the 49ers didn't sign Doucet, they must not be that high on him. Obviously, Baalke isn't the pinnacle of judging talent, that's why I also included this in my post:
Other teams in the NFL are more desperate for a receiver than the Hawks and they haven't even offered Doucet a tryout.

Don't worry, we will be cutting some more receivers soon, just like Lockette and Martin. You can have those guys, no charge.
:lol: You love bringing that up. Don't worry, Im not offended. You guys have our castoffs as well. Every team in the league does.

hawker84

Reaction score
My question is why?

Is this saying they're not confident in the current recieving core, including the backups and rookies?

Does this mean Rice has something more going on than we know about?

why would it be because of the Harvin situation, we already have a very capable replacement in Baldwin?

Something's weird here..

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Why would anyone be surprised that we bring in anyone? They usually bring in a ton of guys, just because. Nothing is gonna' change.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":12u1zc75 said:
Doucet and Laurent Robinson are arguably the top 2 WR's available on the market right now, amongst those who are still on the right side of 30. With Robinson the issue is concussions. With Doucet the issue (among other things) is his history of being extremely drop-prone. He's also a very average athlete who doesn't compensate with great size/length, so he lacks the ideal quickness for the flanker position while also lacking the ideal size/speed for the split end position. He's best limited to underneath routes in 3 and 4-wide sets. Given the Harvin news, the Hawks would be wise to bring in some veteran insurance like Doucet at the WR position, but he'd still have an extremely difficult time beating out the younger options with more upside for a spot on the 53 man roster.

Great insight. I was also wondering why we were bringing Doucet in....there were a few really good young WRs that might not have made the team as it was. So is this just the FO bringing a guy in to compete and kick the younger guys in the ass, or are they not happy with what they are seeing in our younger depth ?

From the TC accounts (yea I know, all sunshine and lollipops) Harper is still catching on, Bates looks solid, Williams is making some noise, and Kearse is catching everything. Of all those guys, Kearse has shown in actual NFL games that he can get open.

kearly

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":267tthcj said:
You love bringing that up. Don't worry, Im not offended. You guys have our castoffs as well. Every team in the league does.

By 49er "castoffs" you mean just one player on the current 90 man Seahawks roster. And when you figure out who that one player is, you'll realize just how stupid you sounded for bringing it up.

You got served by Scottemojo, btw. I love seeing trolls/homers get nailed and still try to squirm out of it.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kearly":26il8jzn said:
SoHo9erFan":26il8jzn said:
You love bringing that up. Don't worry, Im not offended. You guys have our castoffs as well. Every team in the league does.

By 49er "castoffs" you mean just one player on the current 90 man roster. When you figure out who that one player is, you'll realize just how stupid you sounded for bringing it up.

I love seeing trolls/homers get nailed and still try to squirm anyway.

Didn't we pick up one of their long snappers as well?

SoHo9erFan":26il8jzn said:
If the 49ers haven't kicked the tires with Doucet, I can't imagine this guy being a quality player.

HAHAHAHA. Apparently the 49ers have a waiting line to get a tryout with them.

Latest posts