EDGE players going off the market quickly in FA

Frozenropers

Reaction score
I would like to see the team add a veteran DE to rotate with Taylor at the LEO. I think C and LG may be a priority to solve but I actually like our young DE rotation if they bring in someone at teh LEO position. Maybe Dunlap prices himself back into our market but I'd like to see us solve the LG/C as top priority.

LEO: FA/Taylor
LDE: Collier/Robinson

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1u9gnyd2 said:
AgentDib":1u9gnyd2 said:
Spin Doctor":1u9gnyd2 said:
Quite often free agent signings work out -- in fact we signed quite a few high profile free agents back in the early 2010s with Zach Miller, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, and Tony McDaniel.
Feel free to whoosh me if I missed the sarcasm here??!, but McDaniel (600k), Avril (3.7m) and Bennett (4.8m) were exactly the sort of bargain signings that people are unhappy with these days. If somebody bumps the thread about Bennett I'm sure you'll see it full of complaints about wasting money on a 2009 UDFA who unimpressed on his previous stint here and was JAG compared to the coveted names. We were excited about getting Avril in comparison for what looked like a steal at the time (and was).

2011 was an unusual year for the FO as they spent on three different mid-high profile FAs in that next tier down. Sidney Rice was the highest profile signing ($7.8m APY) followed by Zach Miller (7.6m APY) and Robert Gallery (5m). With the benefit of hindsight the explanation is they had cleared most of the previous regime's players from the books at that point and had little to do in the way of extensions so they had extra cash to burn.

Actually, people were really excited about all those signings, because the fanbase back then actually liked the Seahawks. Nowadays people just use Seattle as a lightning rod for their own personal anger, generally.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66582

Here's a blast to the past. Like stepping into a time machine to a waaaay better time.
Googling, Avril and Bennett were two of the top edge rushers in free agency that year. Everyone was surprised the Hawks were able to get them for so cheap.

Chapow

Reaction score
massari":279jsrlz said:
Maelstrom787":279jsrlz said:
AgentDib":279jsrlz said:
Spin Doctor":279jsrlz said:
Quite often free agent signings work out -- in fact we signed quite a few high profile free agents back in the early 2010s with Zach Miller, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, and Tony McDaniel.
Feel free to whoosh me if I missed the sarcasm here??!, but McDaniel (600k), Avril (3.7m) and Bennett (4.8m) were exactly the sort of bargain signings that people are unhappy with these days. If somebody bumps the thread about Bennett I'm sure you'll see it full of complaints about wasting money on a 2009 UDFA who unimpressed on his previous stint here and was JAG compared to the coveted names. We were excited about getting Avril in comparison for what looked like a steal at the time (and was).

2011 was an unusual year for the FO as they spent on three different mid-high profile FAs in that next tier down. Sidney Rice was the highest profile signing ($7.8m APY) followed by Zach Miller (7.6m APY) and Robert Gallery (5m). With the benefit of hindsight the explanation is they had cleared most of the previous regime's players from the books at that point and had little to do in the way of extensions so they had extra cash to burn.

Actually, people were really excited about all those signings, because the fanbase back then actually liked the Seahawks. Nowadays people just use Seattle as a lightning rod for their own personal anger, generally.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66582

Here's a blast to the past. Like stepping into a time machine to a waaaay better time.
Googling, Avril and Bennett were two of the top edge rushers in free agency that year. Everyone was surprised the Hawks were able to get them for so cheap.

The comment that Spin Doctor was replying to, and disagreeing with, specifically said really expensive free agent deals tend to never work out for the acquiring team. Avril, Bennett, and McDaniel were most definitely not really expensive free agent signings.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
I feel like the last time we really broke the bank on a free agent was when we signed Chad Brown right after Paul Allen bought the team.

Jville

Reaction score
A-Dog":3dv32q2g said:
I feel like the last time we really broke the bank on a free agent was when we signed Chad Brown right after Paul Allen bought the team.
Actually, the courting began before takeoff. Upon arriving at
the airport--after stopping at a nearby Super Kmart to purchase
formula for Amani and socks and underwear for Chad--the Browns
were greeted by Seattle coach Dennis Erickson and vice president
of football operations Randy Mueller. During the flight the
group made small talk over grilled chicken salad and freshly
squeezed orange juice, of which Chad said, "It was very good,
very pulpy."

"I felt like I was back in college, recruiting again," said
Erickson, who won two national championships at Miami before
taking the Seahawks job two years ago. The truth was, this
wasn't a recruiting visit so much as a velvet kidnapping.

SNAKE CHARMER ALL-PRO LINEBACKER AND AMATEUR HERPETOLOGIST CHAD BROWN SHED THE STEELERS AND MOVED TO A NEW HABITAT BY SIGNING A MONSTER OF A DEAL WITH THE SEAHAWKS >>> [urltargetblank]https://vault.si.com/vault/1997/02/24/snake-charmer-all-pro-linebacker-and-amateur-herpetologist-chad-brown-shed-the-steelers-and-moved-to-a-new-habitat-by-signing-a-monster-of-a-deal-with-the-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1371625529674235904[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1371620776722456581[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1371622330280067074[/tweet]

massari

Reaction score
I find a lot of the posters who hate the idea of spending big money in FA, are the same ones who liked trading multiple 1sts and a 3rd for a blitzing Safety with a $9M cap hit due to be the highest paid Safety ever. Weird.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
massari":1697fskg said:
I find a lot of the posters who hate the idea of spending big money in FA, are the same ones who liked trading multiple 1sts and a 3rd for a blitzing Safety. Weird.

No, we want to sign good players on reasonable contracts. Not the bitter dregs on bottom dollar or the top dollar players. Instead of playing black jack Pete prefers playing the lottery.

Jville

Reaction score
Here are reported numbers on Carl Lawson's deal ......................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1371625967580512256[/tweet]

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Wow. We may need and extra rusher since dunlap was released, but wow. I dont think any of these players signed were worth the money. None of them produce numbers and definitely didnt earn the money being thrown around. Lawson has done nothing, Dupree, ngakue hasnt done anything either. Floyd really? Sacked the crap out of wilson and disappeared the rest of the season. These signings are the mark of desperate teams not focusing on the right things. I gurantee you...none of these signings gain more than 10 sacks this season. Which sorry...4 for 64 million doesnt equate. Its crap. Players are making more money and not producing.

I take one back. Barrett is a beast, but that is it.

Our dline will be fine.

AgentDib

Reaction score
massari":558w3gca said:
I find a lot of the posters who hate the idea of spending big money in FA, are the same ones who liked trading multiple 1sts and a 3rd for a blitzing Safety with a $9M cap hit due to be the highest paid Safety ever. Weird.
In my view the jury is still out on Adams and I'm currently a bit pessimistic, but it is still possible that it could turn out well in a way that I think a "big FA" as discussed here is unlikely to do so. The reason has to do with maximizing value when every team is fixed to the same total salary level.

Most of the positive value on a team is going to come from inexpensive players who outplay their deals. This is hopefully generated by rookie contracts if the team is drafting well, and it could also be cheap FAs such as with Avril/Bennett/McDaniel in the previous discussion. Players that the rest of the league may be undervaluing for whatever reason; injury history, needing a change of scenery, positional change/fit, developmental prospects, veterans who may still have something left in the tank, whatever.

The expensive players need to be a small group of elite players who are truly difference makers. Look back at the LOB Seahawks and you'll see that we identified a small core that we thought were crucial and never let them hit UFA but instead extended them every time; Russ, Marshawn, Doug, Kam, Earl, Bennett, Avril, Sherman, KJ, Bobby. The rest we had to make tough decisions on and let walk to FA, and we certainly missed guys like Tate, Mebane, Clemons, Giacomini, Okung and so on. But we kept the former group and not the latter group because we thought they were the difference makers and the latter group could be replaced.

Every other team is constantly doing this same analysis, and the guys who show up in UFA every year can be very good players but for the most part are not the elite players. And unfortunately, with 32 teams in the league who have different holes and different scouting on the players, it means that many of them end up getting paid like elite players due to the Winner's Curse. Putting too many of these overpaid "good but not elite" guys on your team instead of the actual elite players is why the top FA spenders tend to be bad teams in a bad cycle until they actually manage to hit on some of their own rookies and turn their fortunes around.

I don't think Guard is one of the most important positions in the NFL, but I would still be happy to break the bank for one if we were getting somebody like Hutchinson or say Quenton Nelson from the Colts. Nelson isn't going to be available anytime soon, however, because the Colts are going to prioritize keeping him around. When you see a UFA who people are touting as a top target the first question you should ask yourself is why their previous team let them walk in the first place.

Bringing it back to Adams, he has the potential to be one of those difference makers that the Seahawks would likely never be in a position to draft and would never hit UFA (until he was well past his prime). Whether that happens or not will determine whether the very expensive price was worth it or not.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You know what I think might happen?

They might sign Clowney again at a steep discount after his down year with the Titans, and I'd be hella fine with that.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1371645757854474240[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ConnorJRogers/status/1370895749383348227[/tweet]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jville":3h6vrolq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1371645757854474240[/tweet]

Rather stick with Lawson if I were Cincy. Hendrickson's sack total is good, but most of them came on cleanup last year rather than created pressure.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3gdspjt8 said:
You know what I think might happen?

They might sign Clowney again at a steep discount after his down year with the Titans, and I'd be hella fine with that.
Funny, I had that exact same thought. For the right price, I'd be willing to take a flyer on him again if he's healthy. But that's a big if.