Elite QBs can move up the field in overtime

stack55

Reaction score
Beast mode looked very rusty with no
Holes to run through.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
This is Twisted Husky's 5th aniti-Wilson thread of the day counting the Gameday Forum and predictably his soul brother in hate SeaChase has chimed in. You two beat the same drum incesasantly and frankly it's boring as hell. I'd love to know what the REAL root of your hate for Russ is.

15 game winning drives in the 4th quarter or OT in his first 3 seasons. Didn't happen today. It will another game, and soon.

SeaChase

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2f1iqc4i said:
This is Twisted Husky's 5th aniti-Wilson thread of the day counting the Gameday Forum and predictably his soul brother in hate SeaChase has chimed in. You two beat the same drum incesasantly and frankly it's boring as hell. I'd love to know what the REAL root of your hate for Russ is.

15 game winning drives in the 4th quarter or OT in his first 3 seasons. Didn't happen today. It will another game, and soon.

You're the one that made the "Its over thread" in the second quarter, yet you praised RW in a previous thread commending him with all these comeback wins. Sounds like someone is trolling to me.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
my "hatred" of Wilson? Because I called him out for not producing?

Look, when you are a 3rd round pick that exceeds expectations - it is fantastic to see how great you are doing. Anything you produce is gravy, just don't lose the game. In that, Wilson produced several game winning drives, including that Chicago game where he drove the team down the field.

But now, you are supposedly the #5 QB in the league, getting paid like it, and you have to produce. Not produce excuses. Wilson was looking like crap and Foles are marching up and down the field on us. Sure the Rams have a good front, but we have a good front too - All pro safety and all pro corner. Oh and Wilson has an all-pro TE too and was playing against a team that was decimated in the secondary.

What did Wilson do when he got handed short fields or got inside the RZ? He pretty much crapped the bed. Is that "hatred" to point that out or just high expectations given the team needs him to produce and he won't be able to (and that part is a combination of gutting our line and our idiot OC).

So we go to overtime. This is where great QBs produce in spite of the defense. Otherwise you just are Eli Manning, a guy that went to the SB multiple times but still needs other pieces in place because you have fundamental flaws.

This team took a massive bet that Russ can be "the guy". I think he can, but not with this line and this OC. We MIGHT get into the playoffs trying to ride Russ, maybe like a Charger team riding Rivers or the Lions with Matt - but we won't win. Russ is not a 1st tier QB yet, even though his career trajectory is one of the best for a QB EVER. It does not mean he cannot get better but he isn't good enough NOW unless he puts a lot more work in. It looks to me like all the distractions have him putting LESS work in, not more - and this game bears it out. One of his worst.

Is that "hate"? If you are elite, you produce as an elite QB - otherwise you are not. I am just worried this team is trying to give Russ the ball and let him win with it, but with so many missing pieces that is a bet that does not look like a good one.

I would love to see Russ do better, but when he doesn't - he needs to get the blame. Just as he gets the glory when he does produce. That is what 1st tier QBs come with, higher expectations - because they are paid to deliver.

emurri

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":im1ehlpb said:
I understand that is Bevell but Russ needs to shake off his calls because they suck.

If you are truly an elite QB, that means you produce when other parts of the team are not.

So far, one game in, he needs to work harder.

I respectfully disagree about Russ. It makes things so much harder when your o-line is blocking so poorly. If we could just march out a decent o-line (yes, I know we were playing maybe the best d-line in the game) Wilson would show that he is worth all of the money and make the plays (he does have the most wins to start a career, that has to count for something). Our o-line has to improve, and improve quickly (as does the defense for that matter).

hawker84

Reaction score
I'm reading all these Bevell sucks posts and Wilson sucks post, but from where I was sitting watching the game, we lost in all 3 phases today, defense got gashed in the run and pass all day long, Wilson was indecisive at times and threw a crucial pick leading to a Rams score, they gave up a td on special teams. Offense line looked sluggish and outmatched most of the game. So I don't know how anyone can pin the blame on any one thing today... We sucked as a team today... we sucked on all phases.

Was Kam's absence felt - Absolutely
Was the O line outmatched - Absolutely
Was Wilson rushed and indecisive most of the game - Yep - but I thought he played ok, given the opponent.
Was Bevell's play calling predictive and head scratching at times - Yep as usual
Was our defensive coaching outmatched by the Rams offensive coaching - Yep - why is nobody bashing him? Defense was awful, worst I've seen in three years..

Was special teams bad - Yep - why was the lanes on that side of the field just wide open? and can somebody please explain the onside?

We got a lot of work to do across the board. Even Sherman and Bennett and Wagner looked bad on occasion today.

only bright note I saw was Lockett, Graham delivered as advertised too.

Everything else, needs a lot of work, I mean a lot of work. There's no way we go into "GB next Sunday and win, not with the product I saw on the field today.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2wl6jslw said:

Look, when you are a 3rd round pick that exceeds expectations - it is fantastic to see how great you are doing. Anything you produce is gravy, just don't lose the game. In that, Wilson produced several game winning drives, including that Chicago game where he drove the team down the field.

But now, you are supposedly the #5 QB in the league, getting paid like it, and you have to produce. Not produce excuses. Wilson was looking like crap and Foles are marching up and down the field on us. Sure the Rams have a good front, but we have a good front too - All pro safety and all pro corner. Oh and Wilson has an all-pro TE too and was playing against a team that was decimated in the secondary.

What did Wilson do when he got handed short fields or got inside the RZ? He pretty much crapped the bed. Is that "hatred" to point that out or just high expectations given the team needs him to produce and he won't be able to (and that part is a combination of gutting our line and our idiot OC).

So we go to overtime. This is where great QBs produce in spite of the defense. Otherwise you just are Eli Manning, a guy that went to the SB multiple times but still needs other pieces in place because you have fundamental flaws.

This team took a massive bet that Russ can be "the guy". I think he can, but not with this line and this OC. We MIGHT get into the playoffs trying to ride Russ, maybe like a Charger team riding Rivers or the Lions with Matt - but we won't win. Russ is not a 1st tier QB yet, even though his career trajectory is one of the best for a QB EVER. It does not mean he cannot get better but he isn't good enough NOW unless he puts a lot more work in. It looks to me like all the distractions have him putting LESS work in, not more - and this game bears it out. One of his worst.

Is that "hate"? If you are elite, you produce as an elite QB - otherwise you are not. I am just worried this team is trying to give Russ the ball and let him win with it, but with so many missing pieces that is a bet that does not look like a good one.

I would love to see Russ do better, but when he doesn't - he needs to get the blame. Just as he gets the glory when he does produce. That is what 1st tier QBs come with, higher expectations - because they are paid to deliver.

If this is one of his worst im ok with it...what...78 completion percent, 90 QB rating....there were far worse QB performances this week including the named "football god" andrew luck and the "greatest of all time" peyton manning

Anthony!

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3u5b6kso said:
TwistedHusky":3u5b6kso said:
I understand that is Bevell but Russ needs to shake off his calls because they suck.

If you are truly an elite QB, that means you produce when other parts of the team are not.

I get what you are saying and kind of agree. If Russell is going to take the next step then he has to realize that now that he has the contract he is the guy... not Bevell .... and not even Pete. They would both get fired before Russell would. So you are right. Its time to take ownership of the offense. Part of that is knowing when he needs to shake off a play and call what he knows is needed. You better believe the elite QB's do just that.

Some one else pointed out that in the past Lynch and Baldwin have gotten on Russ about doing just that. At least some of the friction with Percy was because Russell didn't "intervene " on the bubble screens and send him on the fly route instead. Percy may have trouble with designed route running but he showed today that he runs the fly just fine. We have an offensive philosophy problem and the resulting play calling often puts our guys at a disadvantage against a defense that can easily read what is coming. (on top of the one they already face being made up largely of un-drafted free agents)

Yeah a 4th year QB doe snot constantly change the play his OC gives him sorry. If you do that y9ou show you do not truest your coaching staff, and then the other players follow suite and you have problems, Sometimes yeah, but not all the time, and of course you are assuming he did not change some

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Anthony!":3lwoc268 said:
brimsalabim":3lwoc268 said:
TwistedHusky":3lwoc268 said:

I get what you are saying and kind of agree. If Russell is going to take the next step then he has to realize that now that he has the contract he is the guy... not Bevell .... and not even Pete. They would both get fired before Russell would. So you are right. Its time to take ownership of the offense. Part of that is knowing when he needs to shake off a play and call what he knows is needed. You better believe the elite QB's do just that.

Some one else pointed out that in the past Lynch and Baldwin have gotten on Russ about doing just that. At least some of the friction with Percy was because Russell didn't "intervene " on the bubble screens and send him on the fly route instead. Percy may have trouble with designed route running but he showed today that he runs the fly just fine. We have an offensive philosophy problem and the resulting play calling often puts our guys at a disadvantage against a defense that can easily read what is coming. (on top of the one they already face being made up largely of un-drafted free agents)

Yeah a 4th year QB doe snot constantly change the play his OC gives him sorry. If you do that y9ou show you do not truest your coaching staff, and then the other players follow suite and you have problems, Sometimes yeah, but not all the time, and of course you are assuming he did not change some

I thought he audibled the Graham TD..maybe it was just changing protections...but i thought he changed the call

Anthony!

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":ufo2lk2e said:
TwistedHusky":ufo2lk2e said:

If this is one of his worst im ok with it...what...78 completion percent, 90 QB rating....there were far worse QB performances this week including the named "football god" andrew luck and the "greatest of all time" peyton manning

so true

peppersjap

Reaction score
HawaiiD":2d3m1nk6 said:
Anthony!":2d3m1nk6 said:
TwistedHusky":2d3m1nk6 said:

U realize the QB with most 4th qtr/ot winning drives in the last 3 seasons and 1 game is Wilson right. So not great choice for the elite thing given he leads in that category
Don't care how much game winning drives Russell Wilson have. Thats in the past and today he didn't get it done period.
been a fan long? Welcome to the bandwagon!

peppersjap

Reaction score
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the "12's" are some of the worst fans in football! The people in the stadium are great but we seem to have a large group that are probably the ones who wanted to set the noise record every time KC beat us on the decibel meter. I used to love talking football when i go out to the bar but I now hate it. I had someone tell me tonight how awesome our defense was but our offense lost the game. Really??? Did you watch the game? I love this team but can't stand even having a discussion with the majority of the fan base, apparently once you win a Super Bowl that is what will happen every year after or else you suck. I cannot believe the negativity after 1 game and how many people are already saying we will lose next week or people who criticize the QB who did move the ball down the field, you all wanted the Marshawn hand off.......how did it work for you?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawaiiD":1too14g0 said:
Anthony!":1too14g0 said:
TwistedHusky":1too14g0 said:

U realize the QB with most 4th qtr/ot winning drives in the last 3 seasons and 1 game is Wilson right. So not great choice for the elite thing given he leads in that category
Don't care how much game winning drives Russell Wilson have. Thats in the past and today he didn't get it done period.
What a load of crap :roll:, there were several occasions that the O-LINE looked like shit against that Rams front four.
Aaron Donald was in Wilson's face in a heartbeat.
41 passes against the Rams attacking Defense, and you're expecting him to what?, throw the ball, and then run down the field and catch the damned thing too?? SMH

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Were going to find out this year if Wilson is an elite QB of the beneficiary of a historically good defense .Were also going to find out if Pete and this coaching staff can recover from a really really stupid decision that cost us a Super Bowl.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Before yesterday, Wilson had never lost an overtime game (Including drive to lead the Hawks to their 3rd Super Bowl). He's marched the Hawks down the field just fine. No QB goes undefeated.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You gotta be kidding me. He has won games in the 4th quarter and overtime over and over and over again.
So now that he has lost for the FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER in overtime, he isn't a clutch QB.

I guess it was him who also gave up 34 points too. :roll:

So, let me get this straight, every QB who has lost in overtime isn't Elite or clutch. Guess you can add Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers to that list. Since BOTH of them sat on the sidelines last year while RUSSELL WILSON and the Seahawks marched down the field and won the game in overtime. (and yes I realize they lost the toss) Guess those guys are not "elite"
It would be interesting to see how many Quarterbacks didn't move their team down for a game winning drive over the years in overtime. It's football, plenty of QB's have had the ball and didn't move their team down the field.

Sometimes it's like clapping with one hand.