Eric Bieniemy

renofox

Reaction score
Why is he not getting any love?

The only thing I have found against him are along these lines:

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/c...-we-know-why-eric-bieniemy-isnt-a-head-coach/

Doug Gottlieb: “Now we’re getting a clearer picture of why Eric Bieniemy, to this point, doesn’t have a head coaching job. It’s not because the league is racist, OK? (There’s) nothing nefarious about it. It’s just about his reputation, which is earned, in his inability to be beloved by many of the players that he coaches.”

I'm not buying it. The evidence is pretty thin, IMO. He's not " You Be You" PC, but he's also not "Do Your Job" BB. Somewhere in the middle, leaning towards BB.

Sounds mostly like he comes off abrasive in interviews. Maybe he should hire himself an Interview Coach?

He's a proven performer:

As a coach:

I hope he, at the very least, gets an interview to see if his vision for team culture and his personality may be a fit.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I've read that he has an abrasive nature about him, like Hairball does. The difference is, hairball has success at both the collegiate and pro levels, where Bieniemy hasn't had a chance to coach a team.

He was a bit of a hothead in the 90s according to his wiki. How much of that is profiling because he is black, is hard to ascertain. No doubt that black people are profiled and targeted more often for minor offenses than their white counterparts.

But yeah, I concur with one of the posts here. Telling that he hasn't been hired for a HC after several interviews. Might be that his impulsive and hotheaded nature comes through in interviews. Who knows.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
He was a bit of a hothead in the 90s according to his wiki. How much of that is profiling because he is black, is hard to ascertain. No doubt that black people are profiled and targeted more often for minor offenses than their white counterparts.
Police Accountability is one of my interests. Spurred by my respect for Angry Doug.

I don't think police racism is a widespread issue except in a few select areas/cities. Colorado, however, is the one STATE where it is still a huge issue everywhere. Especially Aurora, which has the most disgusting and racist police force you can imagine.

I could never put myself in his shoes, but I can imagine all the shit he was dealing with 30 years ago in that cesspit.

Perfectly understandable that some may view him as abrasive when he may just be defensive based on past experiences.

cymatica

Reaction score
Are people seriously still pushing narratives that non white coaches are discriminated against? I swear, until white people are extremely negatively disproportionately represented in authoritative positions the systemic racism narrative will keep being pushed.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
Are people seriously still pushing narratives that non white coaches are discriminated against? I swear, until white people are extremely negatively disproportionately represented in authoritative positions the systemic racism narrative will keep being pushed.
I don't see any posts about being discriminated against in his professional life. I agree the 'systemic racism' is used in a broad brush manner nowadays, but that has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

The only discussion on race was about how his treatment at the hands of CO police forces in the 90's may have had an impact on his personality. Those same CO police forces which have a mega race problem to this day. If you believe the actual systemic racism in the '90s had no impact on his self-expression and perceptions thereof, I don’t think you're looking at it from a broad perspective.

Everything we've said was in the context of taking reports of abrasiveness with a grain of salt, and affording him an opportunity to interview despite some vague negative feeling others may have about him.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Non-white coaches aren't discriminated against, so that's not a narrative I'm seeing. Rather, they have less opportunity than their white counterparts. That in itself, is a fact.

cymatica

Reaction score
Non-white coaches aren't discriminated against, so that's not a narrative I'm seeing. Rather, they have less opportunity than their white counterparts. That in itself, is a fact.
How so?

cymatica

Reaction score
To get into that, would be going off topic, and I do not want to get into long drawn out arguments over this topic on a football forum.
That's weak. You already made the claim and declared it as fact, yet any pushback or questioning regarding the varacity of a claim you already started discussing is considered going off topic. If it's a fact it should be fairly easy to provide an example to back it up.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
That's weak. You already made the claim and declared it as fact, yet any pushback or questioning regarding the varacity of a claim you already started discussing is considered going off topic. If it's a fact it should be fairly easy to provide an example to back it up.
As I said, off topic and I do not want to get into a drawn out argument over it.

A comment on my part does not constitute as an invitation to a debate.

Move on.

OP
OP
renofox

renofox

Reaction score
His past is probably the stumbling block from him getting hired as a head coach...

That would be sad if minor allegations from 30 years ago and a DUI from 23 years ago were actually considered an impediment.

We all did stupid shit when we were young. Maybe he got caught at some of his stupid shit. That should have no bearing today.

Chevy

Reaction score
That would be sad if minor allegations from 30 years ago and a DUI from 23 years ago were actually considered an impediment.

We all did stupid shit when we were young. Maybe he got caught at some of his stupid shit. That should have no bearing today.
Where there's smoke there's fire. As a team owner they have to be taken into account. May not be a deal breaker for some owners. I could see Jerry Jones overlooking it and liking his old school coaching style.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
some added information I have heard about Bienemy was the friction between him and Mahomes where Andy Reid needed to act as a buffer. He is known as being a poor communicator. I would be shocked if any team gives him a HC job

Chevy

Reaction score
It seems to be a him issue as a person and coach as opposed to anything else.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Colorado didn’t even want him as HC. The passed on him multiple times, even hired a retread bad coach in Darrell instead of EB. That has to tell you something about him.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
some added information I have heard about Bienemy was the friction between him and Mahomes where Andy Reid needed to act as a buffer. He is known as being a poor communicator. I would be shocked if any team gives him a HC job
Yeah, being a poor communicator simply doesn't work as the HEAD COACH. I can see how that could give an organization pause. You're the face of the team (outside of QB), and are tasked, as well as addressing your team of rich athletes, with speaking to the media after every game, win or lose. I don't know enough about his personality to give an opinion either way, but, if the stories are true, he can't really blame anyone but himself.

Rat

Reaction score
The Chiefs offense went from averaging 413 yards per game (1st in the NFL) to 351 (9th) after Bieniemy left. Granted, they were starting receivers who would have been riding the pine on our 2008 squad that was giving meaningful snaps to Courtney Taylor, Billy McMullen, and the corpse of Koren Robinson.