eric wright fails 49ers physical, then cut by bucs

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NinerBuff":25pf7piy said:
RolandDeschain":25pf7piy said:
Boldin and Crabtree aren't anything alike...Guess we'll see what happens when the real season arrives.

I agree... Boldin is a good 3rd down guy, but Crabtree really elevated his game to become a legit #1... I guess it remains to be seen whether Boldin can provide anything more than a 'physical' 3rd down receiver.

You mentioned that WR was our biggest hole, and while you can absolutely contend that, I see Vernon and McDonald contributing significantly to the 'receiving corp'. But we still need a number 2 WR to step up. Manningham really played well with Kaep (for the 3 games they played together), and he should be available Week 1 / 2. I see him as our next best WR, with the Jenkins as the wild card. The knock on him is he doesn't have the strength, but he definitely has speed...

man, the season can't come soon enough!!!!

I actually feel like Boldin can play the Crabtree role, just not at the same level.

Crabtree was without a doubt the feature guy. He did it all. He was fast enough to get separation and was super clutch on 3rd down.

Boldin is a fighter, he goes up for the ball and has great hands. The other thing is that it is not like he will be going up against the Hawks secondary every week, he is going to get the Packers, Skins and the same NFCS/AFCS teams the Hawks are. Boldin should get a ton of targets this season as the "guy".

The Niners are not as good at WR as they were last year, but they are functional and I haven't forgotten about how well they run the ball. Their secondary was proven to be vulnerable when the Dline stopped getting pressure, which is why they traded for Wright in the first place.

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Agreed. The benefit we will have in the beginning of the season will be that our D is all healthy, and Aldon and Justin will be able to generate that pass rush that will allow our secondary to make played like they were before both suffered injuries late in the season.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I'm intrigued now. This late a trade suggests the FO aren't particularly happy with the CBs as they stand. So Wright bombs for whatever reason, and that still leaves an opening.

What's the next move? Barring a trade for a recognised starter from another team - which I wouldn't rule out at this stage - who's left that's available via free agency or elsewhere? Are there any decent CBs on the market?

It's nice to not have to worry about such an important position any more!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
uncle fester":10nk1ifj said:
I'm intrigued now. This late a trade suggests the FO aren't particularly happy with the CBs as they stand. So Wright bombs for whatever reason, and that still leaves an opening.

What's the next move? Barring a trade for a recognised starter from another team - which I wouldn't rule out at this stage - who's left that's available via free agency or elsewhere? Are there any decent CBs on the market?

It's nice to not have to worry about such an important position any more!
Well it's certainly possible that someone steps up for them in Training Camp and preseason but I agree it does signal that they have a major concern about the position.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wonder how this plays out. Right now a depleted receiver corp is practicing against a sub par secondary. When the games start pretty much every opponent will provide a bigger challenge than what either unit may be prepared for. Week one might prove to be a real challenge to match up against GB. Week two could potentially look embarrassing for those groups.