ESPN ranks Spoon as 3rd best Rookie

Did the Seahawks make the right move drafting Spoon?

• yes, Spoon was the right call

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • no, they should have taken Jalen Carter

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • other, should have taken someone else

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Welshers2

Reaction score
So ESPN has ranked Spoon as the third best rookie through 14 weeks. The two ahead of him are Stroud and Jalen Carter.

What do people think, in retrospect, did they do the right thing taking Spoon? At the time of the draft I didn't think they did, because our secondary looked strong with Riq, Diggs and Adams.

But with how badly they've all played, it definitely seems like the right move in retrospect. We needed someone to lock down.

Of course, the pass rush could have used Carter as well. But Spoon is panning out.

Last edited:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
After seeing how bad our secondary group is...absolutely the right choice. Just needs better help around him. I hope he stays healthy as he plays an aggressive mean style and isn't afraid of grievous bodily contact.

renofox

Reaction score
Need "Other" option. I didn't like the Spoon pick and was against picking Carter.

The #5 picked sucked last year. Just missed being able to get Stroud, Richardson, or Anderson. My preferred picks, in order. After that it was a huge drop-off.

I would have preferred to trade down. If that was not possible, I would have "overpaid" for Bijan Robinson.

I had too many doubts on the suitability of Seahawks culture for Carter, and still have too many doubts about Witherspoon's long term health with his body and playing style.

I also would have tried to trade #20 down to anything #32+ and taken Levis. 5 years of a cheap and promising QBOTF prospect adds a lot more value than a #3 WR.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Dang..........we're STILL doing this? Come on man. We like our guy; they like their guy. Both can actually exist at the same time.
As always you have to be critical for no reason. The purpose of the thread was to talk about Witherspoon being the 3rd ranked rookie, as evidenced by the title. I just added a poll to get peoples thoughts 14 weeks in.

I even agree with you that we made the right pick. Not sure why you always have to pick apart everything

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Need "Other" option. I didn't like the Spoon pick and was against picking Carter.

The #5 picked sucked last year. Just missed being able to get Stroud, Richardson, or Anderson. My preferred picks, in order. After that it was a huge drop-off.

I would have preferred to trade down. If that was not possible, I would have "overpaid" for Bijan Robinson.

I had too many doubts on the suitability of Seahawks culture for Carter, and still have too many doubts about Witherspoon's long term health with his body and playing style.

I also would have tried to trade #20 down to anything #32+ and taken Levis. 5 years of a cheap and promising QBOTF prospect adds a lot more value than a #3 WR.
I added another option but who would you preferred they go with at 5th if they can't trade down? I kinda feel Bijan would be a stretch at 5

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
It’s kinda like asking do you take Aaron Donald or Deion sanders ? The answer is yes.
I honestly just think it's a fun topic that relates to the team. The main purpose of the thread was to say ESPN has him as one of the top ranked guys and I think it was a good pick. But I'm also interested on how people feel about the pick in retrospect this far into the season. I think it's a completely fair question looking back. Just because it was discussed at the time doesn't mean we can't look back on it

renofox

Reaction score
I added another option but who would you preferred they go with at 5th if they can't trade down? I kinda feel Bijan would be a stretch at 5
As I said in the post, Bijan. Yes, it would have been an overpay but he was the best overall player on the board. Including the negative "positional value" I still believe that the odds were (and are) that he will provide the most value to any team over his 5 year rookie contract.

If I was in the shitty position of not being able to trade down, I'm going for Maximum Expected Value. Witherspoon clearly had Maximum Potential Value, but I still think his injury risk was (and is) too big of a gamble. Especially for a #5 overall pick.

renofox

Reaction score
I don't know. He's a phenomenal football player. He's different. He's special. And it's obvious.
He is. And I hope hope hope he can stay healthy. He has the talent to be an annual All-Pro and I LOVE watching this kid play.

He's the best of old-school tough as nails and nasty, combined with the best of modern freak athleticism.

If he has a long career at this level he's a HOF lock.

I really hate to say it, but I just don't see his body holding up. I don't want to jinx him, but look at Jamal. Same issue - his body is not built for his style of play.

knownone

Reaction score
Ceteris Paribus, I'm always taking the interior guy over the corner in the modern NFL. But I love everything about Spoon's game, so this is more philosophical than anything.

seabowl

Reaction score
They made the right choice with Spoon. Also, other than Bobby Wagner, not many on this team that you’d want chirping in Carter’s ear and learning from based on what we are seeing from the players now.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Spoon is a great player all the way around. I would take Spoon and Carter all day long. Tough choice now that we know what we know. It's a harder choice when we don't have a young game wrecking DT.. they are like trying to find a franchise QB. They don't grow on trees. But definitely not disappointed with Spoon.