ESPN to broadcast "Fail Mary" as part of MNF Classics.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ESPN's gotta keep pushing the factually incorrect narrative they started that it wasn't a Seahawks TD. No surprise. Rewriting history works better than it should, unfortunately.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Cyrus12":zu2uu306 said:
Simultaneous catch goes to the receiver. Great play great ending!
It wasn’t even simultaneous possession. Tate has 2 feet on the ground with 2 arms around the ball first while the GB DB’s feet, both, are still in the air. There is a picture of it I have but my photobucket account no longer works.

D6436F95 112B 445A 9D40 E0D1D8A8CB66 zpswvrgc2p8

The call that was missed was the obvious OPI on Tate.

Edit: Got it to work.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
That was fun to watch. I attended that game and had never seen the telecast. Didn't remember that Trufant and Hill were on that squad. Saw Earl fly like a missile past the tackle/pile multiple times like he did throughout his career.

AND OH MAN!!! That play where Browner blew up the entire backfield in the fourth quarter on Green Bay's final possession. He was a monster.

This was cool to see, also:

SHOX

Brother in the TEZ and myself in the Easley

gowazzu02

Reaction score
grizbob":gfy32bu8 said:
The only game I've been able attend in Seattle. Twas a great time. :2thumbs:

LOL that's a GREAT game to have attended. I don't go to many games in person either, the last one was a dud (the Cardinals loss in week 16 of our super bowl year) BUT the game prior to that was the Beast Quake game!!!

sdog1981

Reaction score
It was a super important game for the NFL and the Seahawks.

For the NFL, they realized that they needed to pay the refs.

For the Seahawks, it proved they could hang with the big dogs.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Boohman14":21hqu0gs said:
We were totally jobbed in that second half. Green bay got away with PI left and right. They were blatantly holding the whole second half. I was so impressed with our team that they hung in there then the final play. Man it was such a shame the national media reaction. It was as if no one watched the game until the final play.

I was at that game and GB had to hold because Aaron got sacked 8 times in the first half alone. This game will always be remembered as the Fail Mary in spite of what the rule book states about simultaneous possession. I do have to admit that if the refs would have called Tate on a PI from pushing off it would have been finished because he did push off.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sports Hernia":36xn5z1m said:
Cyrus12":36xn5z1m said:
It wasn’t even simultaneous possession. Tate has 2 feet on the ground with 2 arms around the ball first while the GB DB’s feet, both, are still in the air. There is a picture of it I have but my photobucket account no longer works.

100% CORRECT! That is the photo I sent to countless Green Bay fans and anyone telling me they got robbed. You're equally correct that the true missed call was the obvious OPI on Tate, no question. But I guess folks don't want facts to get in the way of a good narrative.

ZLDRider

Reaction score
There were some great local news video at the opposite angle that showed that Tate definitely caught the ball and maintained possession. I used to have copies but, they were on a different computer.

Torc

Reaction score
I agree that Tate totally committed OPI and that would probably fall under the 'no PI on a hail mary' theory. Pretty darn blatant though.

One thing I never see anyone talk about is that the ref who signaled for an interception was at the back of the end zone, behind the play. The pile of bodies would have blocked any view of the ball whatsoever. The ref who signaled TD was in front of the play and could actually watch the ball. My assumption has always been that the head ref looked at who could actually see the play, and went with that call. I don't think it would be overturned under today's replay rules.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros":2z8lxhlv said:
Sports Hernia":2z8lxhlv said:
Cyrus12":2z8lxhlv said:

100% CORRECT! That is the photo I sent to countless Green Bay fans and anyone telling me they got robbed. You're equally correct that the true missed call was the obvious OPI on Tate, no question. But I guess folks don't want facts to get in the way of a good narrative.
I saw DPI on the other Seatte WR on the play..You see that on every hail mary
so it must be a play where it's never called either way.
So to me since Tate did have both feet on ground that is why I have always said
the call was correct.Screw the GB fans or anyone else!We won period.