ESPN to broadcast "Fail Mary" as part of MNF Classics.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/1257053942946697216[/tweet]

ESPN has aired some classic Monday Night Football games over the past several weeks, and will continue to do so through June. Two Seattle Seahawks games are included, starting on May 4th at 5 PM PT with a little event called “Fail Mary.”

I’m sure Green Bay Packers fans are still mad about this game even now, and frankly I’m surprised this was even chosen for a re-broadcast because this was largely not a fun game to watch. The replacement referees were a mess (and got the real refs back into the league), the Seahawks offense led by rookie Russell Wilson was absolutely terrible outside of the first Golden Tate touchdown pass and the final drive, buuuuuuut we did get to see Aaron Rodgers sacked eight times. Bruce Irvin’s breakout moment was in primetime, and Chris Clemons was dominant too.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Great TIMES!! Loved this game and all the hurt it did to Green Bay and their fan base! Also smeared the NFL. Was the beginning of a great team.

grizbob

Reaction score
The only game I've been able attend in Seattle. Twas a great time. :2thumbs:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Why do they call it a "fail Mary" when the prayer was answered and the play was successful?

olyfan63

Reaction score
RastaHawk12!":hnglv37x said:
Sports Hernia":hnglv37x said:
I call it the “wail Mary” game.

I love that, because I refuse to call it "fail" given that it was the correct call. :2thumbs:
Totally both of these. I'm going to call it Wail Mary from this point foward. Sure caused lots of wailing among Packer fans and Packer-favoring media. Thanks Hernia!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Watching now. I’m liking it. Haven’t seen a game of anything in way to long.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
OMG. I have forgotten what a pleasure that defense was to watch.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Always believed the call was correct period.
I used to give a Packer fan a ride to work back then and we
got into it verbally.I told him "I can take you right back home right now".
He calmed down and said if real refs didn't come back,he was done
with football.Lucky for him they came back the following week.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like the uncalled, blatant fouls by GB.

IIRC, there was a phony call against us that extended a GB drive too.

If not for all the early errors by the referees, it never would have come down to the "Wail Mary" with everyone going "Wahhhhh!!'

HawkGA

Reaction score
I just watched the clip of the end of the game. At one point Gruden says it's basically not right to send Green Bay flying 6,000 miles home with a loss after that game.

6,000 miles? Does he know geography at all?

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkGA":27jy0pt4 said:
I just watched the clip of the end of the game. At one point Gruden says it's basically not right to send Green Bay flying 6,000 miles home with a loss after that game.

6,000 miles? Does he know geography at all?

He thinks the Seahawks play in South Alaska. :snack:

Boohman14

Reaction score
We were totally jobbed in that second half. Green bay got away with PI left and right. They were blatantly holding the whole second half. I was so impressed with our team that they hung in there then the final play. Man it was such a shame the national media reaction. It was as if no one watched the game until the final play.

HawkGA

Reaction score
It's amazing how the announcer (Tirico?) at the time of the play calls it simultaneous possession but then all of a sudden it becomes the worse call in world. I think the commentary was a lot more agenda driven trying to get the regular refs back. It was certainly an interesting situation. There were lots of good breakdowns at the time but ultimately it seemed like one of those plays you really couldn't fault if the call had gone either way.

But I am glad it went the Seahawks' way!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Funny how the calls always suck for the NFL when they go in favour of Seattle.

Tate caught the darn ball albeit jointly and following he was the first to fully establish possession with two feet on the ground. It was the right call by the referees.

"Wail Mary", is a perfect and correct description of the green and yellow whiners.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Something nobody ever brings up is the fact that Clay Matthews levels Russ WAY after he throws the ball.
No late hit? Another try at it?

andyh64000

Reaction score
HawkGA":2g6x14w3 said:
It's amazing how the announcer (Tirico?) at the time of the play calls it simultaneous possession but then all of a sudden it becomes the worse call in world. I think the commentary was a lot more agenda driven trying to get the regular refs back. It was certainly an interesting situation. There were lots of good breakdowns at the time but ultimately it seemed like one of those plays you really couldn't fault if the call had gone either way.

But I am glad it went the Seahawks' way!

That is how I read it as well, the announcers were using this as a chance to slam the replacement refs and it worked. After the game they didn't mention the horrible non-call PI on the first play of that drive (they mentioned it when it happened) which would have put us in the Red Zone with 45 seconds left.

Tate did commit an offensive PI but watching the replay, if he hadn't he probably make a clean catch because Russ threw a perfect pass higher than that defender could have jumped and Tate wasn't able to jump as high because of it.

Rat

Reaction score
Not sure how it was legit when Tate shoves the defender in the back out of the way.

Was glad we won that game, but Pack fans had plenty of reason to be unhappy with it. We’d be furious if the turntables had been turned.