ESPN Writers on the Macdonald hire

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mike Macdonald hired as Seahawks coach: Seattle fit, NFL buzz

"How can Macdonald improve this struggling defense?

Henderson: Macdonald can help here by bringing in an upgraded scheme and getting more out his players than Seattle's previous defensive coaches did. It has been a bottom-tier unit the past two seasons, particularly against the run. And while the Seahawks were undermanned up front in 2022, their entire defense underachieved in 2023 after an offseason overhaul of their front seven, as well as the additions of cornerback Devon Witherspoon and safety Julian Love on the back end."

"How would you grade this hire?

Tannenbaum: A. Macdonald is innovative, poised and insightful beyond his years, and we've seen his defensive scheme work well both in the NFL and college. I see limitless upside here for Seattle."

Ozzy

Reaction score
I pray to all the gods that he brings this to our offense as well.

There are some interesting oc guys out there. Wondering if he just lets John get his guy or if he will have a strong opinion on it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He runs some deceptive 3-high stuff that definitely slowed Mahomes down.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Exactly as I expected. Some people complaining about the best hire. :ROFLMAO:
You didn't hire who I WANTED!! wahhhhhhhh
The complainers and forever haters have seemingly started to arrive. Surprised it took so long.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And to each his/her own. I'm beyond stoked. Waiting was the right thing to do. JS hit a home run on this. Looking forward to seeing what staff he brings in, who they draft and most importantly, something NEW in Seattle.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I wanted Johnson but man it’s hard to not be excited about what Macdonald can potentially do especially considering the complete inability to figure out the defense the past few years. How can you not be excited? His ex players are coming him the smartest man in the building and a savant who gets the most out of everyone.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm stoked with the hire. Let's get it rolling.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And Johnson didn't want to be here. We don't even know what was offered and/or IF he was offered a deal. Sounds like was asking way too much $ before even being a HC. Ego much? And he has a good thing going in Detroit. It's not like he won't be up for a job next year.
Hawks got the right guy. Time to rebuild the culture here. And hopefully the discipline.