ET III ( in his own words)

xStickybudz

Reaction score
I have less then no simpithy for his situation, someone who has accrued 60 million in the last 8 years doesn’t deserve to complain when it’s him that isn’t living upto his end of the deal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
soxhawk":2svgccxv said:
How about we trade him to Oakland for Mack....ESPN thinks he could be moved for the right price.

Why would Oakland do that?

Mack is one of the top 2-3 defensive players in the league, he's younger, no injury history, plays LB/DE which is a much harder position to fill than safety.

If they don't want to give an extension to Mack for his price, they're sure as hell not going to want Earl and his injury baggage, age and contract demands.

toffee

Reaction score
Agreeing with Bruce Irvin, Earl is my dawg too, but I also rather have Mack.

Attachments

• dawg.gif
    dawg.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,335

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Earl must have made some mistakes in managing his finances.

Once you sign your first contract, you should look at the guaranteed money you will be getting and plan the rest of your life based on that. And yes, it should be enough to feed yourself and your entire family for the rest of your life. You should be able to buy a house and pay for the property taxes and utilities and food and transportation for the rest of your life.

You just have to make sure you plan within your means. You can't maintain a lifestyle of living in giant mansions and driving expensive cars and wearing expensive clothes and eating at expensive restaurants your entire life. I think too many players get the idea that the NFL is going give them that status for the rest of their lives.

mikeak

Reaction score
You guys should maybe remember that you are Seahawk fans not Earl fans.

It is possible that you are only looking at this from the team perspective and not the player perspective.....

toffee

Reaction score
mikeak":2q86ipdw said:

It is possible that you are only looking at this from the team perspective and not the player perspective.....

I did, just the way Earl screw his trade and contract value again and again was hard to witness.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
mikeak":22rq7n8g said:

Probably because Earl has "I" problems.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
mikeak":3bms3sdo said:

Was Earl thinking seahawks when he asked Garrett for a job?

mrt144

Reaction score
mikeak":1uqcxpom said:

If only that were the case, it'd be so much easier.

Are the Hawks better with Earl? Yes.
Is Earl better off with the Hawks? Maybe.
Does Earl have labor tools that peons don't because he contributes to a billion dollar entertainment enterprise? Yes.
Do peons resent him for it? Yes.

Some of y'all are like smack addicts, mad that their dealer is late and cutting the product too much. The problem isn't your dealer, the problem is your addiction and how you'd likely turn a blind eye to all manner of moral depravity so long as you get your fix and will blame everything else but yourself for subverting that nirvana of a hit.

So continue to stew about how egregious a holdout is while you carelessly throw your money at institutions and organizations that would happily lie to your face about the moral rot within them. Why have a conscience when you can grandstand?

toffee

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1omkl6yk said:
mikeak":1omkl6yk said:

Was Earl thinking seahawks when he asked Garrett for a job?
. The only logical possibility: “How do I publicly make Pete and John look like they have lost the locker room?” Earl has his Hahahaha moment after the come get me: see it’s in national tv and it will be shown for decades to come, how funny, Pete’s reputation as a players coach is done, hahaha.

If he was pitching for a job, normal channel would be through his agent, if he had to pimp, got to pimp to the decider, ie definitely not Garrett who has no power in that area.

But karma is a bitch, Earl is persona non grata, no owners, GMs, HCs are willing to risk being publicly humiliated. So, An all pro at his prime sitting at home with zero interest from teams including the one he already publicly humiliated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrt144

Reaction score
fenderbender123":f7pmq2sk said:
Earl must have made some mistakes in managing his finances.

Once you sign your first contract, you should look at the guaranteed money you will be getting and plan the rest of your life based on that. And yes, it should be enough to feed yourself and your entire family for the rest of your life. You should be able to buy a house and pay for the property taxes and utilities and food and transportation for the rest of your life.

You just have to make sure you plan within your means. You can't maintain a lifestyle of living in giant mansions and driving expensive cars and wearing expensive clothes and eating at expensive restaurants your entire life. I think too many players get the idea that the NFL is going give them that status for the rest of their lives.

Could be or...
He wants what amounts to 'make it worth my while' money to stay in Seattle. He is gambling on his value to the org. I have done this a couple of times at my job over 10 years and the company always buckles. 10 years is a lot of time to be at one place and I cant blame a guy who is basically done trying to scrap together everything he can to make it worth his while or get released into the wild.

Sometimes youre done with an organization but a couple of extra Gs a month to kick the can down the road makes it worth it to stay. Not everyone can walk in to work and ball when they are in the doldrums but ET might be that rare HOF cat who can.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of you are getting way too emotional about this and while Earl is emotional - I think this is a business decision.

It is in Earl's best interest to hold out for another contract than it is to play his time out on his existing one.

Yes, the fines are heavy. But every game he plays is a potential for him to get injured. Guys HAVE gotten injured in their last year and then lost out on big contracts because of it.

If Earl can hold out and only play 1/3 of the games less that is still a 30% less chance of terrible injury destroying his ability to get a new contract. Especially considering we know he will have to play SOME of the season, just to perform enough to the contract to assure that this counts as a year the Seahawks lose.

Unless you hold the position he will not get another contract, OR that the total value of his next contract is not worth the money he would have made this year....it makes sense for him to hold out as many games as he can. Because in doing, he lessens the chance he gets injured and gets nothing*

*Though, guys who hold out of TC have an interesting habit of getting injured more in the year

Either way, it does not have to be that he hates the Seahawks or isn't respectful, greatful or the rest. He could just be serving his own self interest and his own self interest is best served by playing as little as possible until he can get his (likely last) new contract.

Fade

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1569vgtj said:
Some of you are getting way too emotional about this and while Earl is emotional - I think this is a business decision.

It is in Earl's best interest to hold out for another contract than it is to play his time out on his existing one.

Yes, the fines are heavy. But every game he plays is a potential for him to get injured. Guys HAVE gotten injured in their last year and then lost out on big contracts because of it.

If Earl can hold out and only play 1/3 of the games less that is still a 30% less chance of terrible injury destroying his ability to get a new contract. Especially considering we know he will have to play SOME of the season, just to perform enough to the contract to assure that this counts as a year the Seahawks lose.

Unless you hold the position he will not get another contract, OR that the total value of his next contract is not worth the money he would have made this year....it makes sense for him to hold out as many games as he can. Because in doing, he lessens the chance he gets injured and gets nothing*

*Though, guys who hold out of TC have an interesting habit of getting injured more in the year

Either way, it does not have to be that he hates the Seahawks or isn't respectful, greatful or the rest. He could just be serving his own self interest and his own self interest is best served by playing as little as possible until he can get his (likely last) new contract.

It is a business, and Earl's value is tanking. No team will pay big money to sign a 30 yr old, small, injury prone (recent history), malcontent, distraction, me-guy. He ruined the value of his next contract.

Someone will sign him, he is too good, but it will be for very little guaranteed money. That security he is looking for won't be found. This holdout is going to cost himself multiple millions this year if he takes it up to the limit, and it will cost him in free agency next off-season.

That is bad business.

Earl is screwing over Earl more than he is screwing over the Seahawks. And it is all self-inflicted, he did it to himself.

The better strategy would have been to grit his teeth & bare it, play ball, have the best season of his career, and have teams banging down the door to sign him. Won't happen now.

He is looking at a Sherman type contract with the same very low guarantees at best, at worst a 1 yr prove it deal.

On the open market if Earl just has a typical Earl year he would've netted 5yrs $13-14M APY. 40-50% guaranteed. He easily would've got this with the salary cap going up. Not from the Seahawks, but from another team.

Now post holdout he is looking at 3yrs $8-11M APY, low signing bonus, only yr 1 guaranteed. At best. He actually has to come back from his holdout probably mid-season, and show he can play at a high level. If there are any questions about his ability he will be looking at a 1 yr incentive based prove it contract. The same kind of contract he would have received had he gotten hurt anyway.

Instead now he has no shot at the mega-deal he is looking for. It's a business alright and Earl cost himself millions.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Fade":3ph90u1c said:
On the open market if Earl just has a typical Earl year he would've netted 5yrs $13-14M APY. 40-50% guaranteed. He easily would've got this with the salary cap going up. Not from the Seahawks, but from another team.
I agree with everything in your post except for the above.

Those numbers could have been for a 25-year old Earl coming off of his rookie contract (had that occurred in 2017 when Eric Berry signed his extension) but those numbers are WAY too high for a 29-year old Earl looking for contract #3. The safety market is flat and Earl loses out on that aspect alone.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
All ET has to do is come back after holding out the maximum he can, ball out, and he probably receives the same kind of extension (contract) he would have gotten anyway - obviously somewhere else. Additionally, he limits wear and tear on his body and potential for injury.

You are going to see this more. Mack is doing this. So is Donald.

Teams cut players before their contract is up all the time. Players have the right to hold out, and now they are doing so more.

Now you can argue that players that come back after several games of holding out tend to get injured more (at least it seems that way) and I would not dispute that. But you cannot argue it is irrational for him to hold out - even if you disagree that the outcome will be better for the player.

And ET is a pretty confident dude, so telling him that he cannot come back after missing a few games and still produce? I think he believes he can. He might even be better, because if he has any nagging injuries that a lot of players have after years in the league - he has more time to heal. But that is speculation.

What is not speculation is that this is happening more and more. So it shouldn't be shocking or even upsetting at this point.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":29d2nwzx said:
Now you can argue that players that come back after several games of holding out tend to get injured more (at least it seems that way) and I would not dispute that. But you cannot argue it is irrational for him to hold out - even if you disagree that the outcome will be better for the player.

And ET is a pretty confident dude, so telling him that he cannot come back after missing a few games and still produce? I think he believes he can. He might even be better, because if he has any nagging injuries that a lot of players have after years in the league - he has more time to heal. But that is speculation.

What is not speculation is that this is happening more and more. So it shouldn't be shocking or even upsetting at this point.

1. Players have always held out. Remember Joey Galloway? Hell, Walter Jones held out of training camp for like five years straight trying to get a new deal.

2. Yes other players like Donald and Mack are doing the same thing, and it isn't working for them either. Donald's been trying to get a new deal for three years. That's the leverage teams have over players, they can franchise great players for at LEAST 1-2 years and not hurt their cap.

3. The statistics prove Earl wrong if he thinks he can come back during the season and play well. The stats show that the longer the player holds out the less productive they are and the higher probability of injury. Because they didn't get their reps, and they didn't get into football shape.

So sorry, holdouts make no sense to me. Especially in Earl's case where the entire league is watching to see if he can still play at an All Pro level without getting injured. How is holding out helping raise his value on the market to get the extension he wants?

Seymour

Reaction score
^^^^^^^ Yep....and not only that.....they will never make back the 5+ million in lost wages. That is 1/2 a year of your career you just lost making the useless point that everyone already understands before you attempted to "make it".

Fade

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1vcqsbpm said:
Fade":1vcqsbpm said:
I agree with everything in your post except for the above.

Those numbers could have been for a 25-year old Earl coming off of his rookie contract (had that occurred in 2017 when Eric Berry signed his extension) but those numbers are WAY too high for a 29-year old Earl looking for contract #3. The safety market is flat and Earl loses out on that aspect alone.

How so? It is inline with what Eric Berry got at the same age. Berry got 6 yrs $13M APY at age 29. So Earl getting 5yrs $13M APY at age 30 with a higher salary cap in place is very likely. Safeties are not runningbacks they don't fall off a cliff at age 30.

The 5 yr deal is just window dressing to spread out the proration of the signing bonus he would have received to keep his salary cap hit lower. In reality it really is a 3 yr $13M APY deal with only yr 3 guaranteed for injury. He won't be receiving that now though so it is all moot.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Adding Thomas to another team will not separate them from good to great and his contract wishes will do the opposite. I would trade him for a 3rd and a Jimmy Garrapolo penecilin shot