Everson Griffen and the Seahawks

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Both Clowney and Griffen are base ends so getting them both signed might be a stretch. Think it will be one or the other. Finding another Leo would be nice. Ngakoue is a Leo end but having both Clowney or Griffen and Ngakoue on the roster might be a cap challenge the team can't achieve. Would be nice though.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think Clowney and Griff is financially feasible, with some maneuvering, but not Clowney and Yannick. Not sure Yannick is by himself, considering contract plus trade investment. Besides we already have considerable trade investment in Clowney, which is part of his negotiating leverage.
Draft is the kicker. If we only knew how that was going to turn out for us this whole thing would be a lot easier to decipher. On the other hand of we could somehow swing Clowney and Griff before the draft we darn near insure the draft will turn out in our favor.

balakoth

Reaction score
Appyhawk":31h50x9h said:
I think Clowney and Griff is financially feasible, with some maneuvering, but not Clowney and Yannick. Not sure Yannick is by himself, considering contract plus trade investment. Besides we already have considerable trade investment in Clowney, which is part of his negotiating leverage.
Draft is the kicker. If we only knew how that was going to turn out for us this whole thing would be a lot easier to decipher. On the other hand of we could somehow swing Clowney and Griff before the draft we darn near insure the draft will turn out in our favor.

Feasible IMO if you cut BOTH Britt and KJ... which seems foolish if you ask me.,

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
balakoth":225x1vpo said:
Feasible IMO if you cut BOTH Britt and KJ... which seems foolish if you ask me.,

Finney slots in to replace Britt. Soon as he was signed, I figured that was definitely it for Britt.

KJ already has his potential successors on the team now (Barton/BBK). He can be let go.

Adding Griffin and Irvin as rotational ends would be a pretty significant upgrade over Ansah. Honestly - doing so puts Seattle in a huge position of strength in this draft. Seattle can comfortably trade back and still let the draft come to them.

If DEs get off the board, they can simply take a player like Cushenberry (or Ruiz if he falls). Finney moves to OG and away we go.

If OCs go early, and speed DEs are gone -- take a long look at OLBs (Queen/Uche/Baun) to compete for KJ's spot.

If all of them go, then you're in position to really move back and address a ton of positions, including WR.

It's a bad DE draft. Getting that hedged to a point where if they happen to all go hard early is a bonus. Because in that case other (decidedly better at their positions) options will present themselves. Instead of filling needs, Seattle can go solely for high talent players that happened to fall due to need concerns of other teams.

I see a lot of merit in allowing Britt and KJ to seek opportunity elsewhere. We have already hedged both of those players already. Their contracts were never really meant to see their last years to begin with. And the moves we made last draft and this UFA signing are indicators of that thinking.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Appyhawk":t6eg3tbz said:
The past trade investment in Clowney has no bearing on current negotiation leverage. John and Pete are way too smart to let sunk cost fallacy affect decisions.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
That trade investment in Clowney last year might have cost us an additional RB. Betcha that thought crossed their mind more than once. Giving up draft picks is something they don't much like to do (they prefer to make moves that INCREASE the number of picks we have) unless it's to pull of something as significant as getting a Clowney level pickup.

A-Dog

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2ux76uda said:
Both Clowney and Griffen are base ends so getting them both signed might be a stretch. Think it will be one or the other. Finding another Leo would be nice. Ngakoue is a Leo end but having both Clowney or Griffen and Ngakoue on the roster might be a cap challenge the team can't achieve. Would be nice though.

Not sure what you mean by "base ends" but Griffen definitely fits the Leo role with 4.59 speed and the ability to rush from a wide-9 position and beat tackles around the edge. Clowney can play a variety of roles but ideally he's the strongside end with a true edge rusher with speed playing opposite him. The two would work well together.

Elemas

Reaction score
I've read that it's virtually impossible for the Hawks to sign both Griffen and Clowney. Sorry...don't have the source but considering our cap...it would certainly be difficult and not without sacrifice at best.

Random guess...Clowney goes to Tennessee or Cleveland and the Hawks sign Griffen which isn't that "bad".

I'm anxiously anticipating a bigger role for Shaq...and seeing if the investment in Collier (fresh start...hopefully injury free) plans out. Collier has pretty much been written off from most fan's perspectives and rightfully so after last season's lackluster performance.

Perhaps I'm putting too much faith in JS and PC but, there has to be a reason he was a first rounder...I'm hoping it's the similar to Penny's development.

When both were drafted, I thought "wtf". Penny was starting to tear it up. I was pleasantly surprised and happy about being wrong.

Maybe LJ can show out this season.