Everything is going as planned

MysterMatt

Reaction score
plyka":3b8ysh6n said:
MysterMatt":3b8ysh6n said:
You guys sound like the old Ruskell fanboys.

Lol...i think you got it backwards. Reading your posts, you seem like the perfect Ruskell guy. Pete/JS are anti-Ruskell to their core. They depend on value and not emotions. Ruskell was almost a fan pretending to be a GM --we need to "keep our guys" who cares about what they are worth. We need to CHASE CHASE CHASE, overspend and make irrational and emotional choices.

Tell us the truth, there is little doubt that during the Ruskell period, you were his biggest fan.
Where did I say chase anyone? You and the other sycophants just jumped to a silly conclusion. That's very much a Ruskell fan boy thing to do.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":37fqr60k said:
hawknation2014":37fqr60k said:
If you didn't see these moves coming, then you haven't been paying close attention. This is exactly how you build a championship roster.
Thanks goodness you understand. Some fans are so clueless. :roll:
Hehe. :stirthepot:

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1f6ai3i8 said:
hawknation2014":1f6ai3i8 said:
MysterMatt":1f6ai3i8 said:

Ruskell was never worthy of my respect. Pete/Schneider just won a Super Bowl in dominating fashion. All of these moves could be seen coming from a mile away. You're just not seeing the forest through the trees yet. Just wait, you will.
Of course. Next time you're strategizing with John and Pete, please tell them I'm sorry for not appearing to be blindly optimistic.

What a ridiculous retort. You slam Pete/Schneider with a Ruskell comparison, and then you accuse someone else of claiming they're capable of strategizing with Pete/Schneider? That's just blind ignorance/arrogance on your part.

If you want to get back to discussing these off-season moves rationally, then I'm more than open to it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
hawknation2014":351qzu0c said:
MysterMatt":351qzu0c said:
hawknation2014":351qzu0c said:
MysterMatt":351qzu0c said:

Ruskell was never worthy of my respect. Pete/Schneider just won a Super Bowl in dominating fashion. All of these moves could be seen coming from a mile away. You're just not seeing the forest through the trees yet. Just wait, you will.
Of course. Next time you're strategizing with John and Pete, please tell them I'm sorry for not appearing to be blindly optimistic.

What a ridiculous retort. You slam Pete/Schneider with a Ruskell comparison, and then you accuse someone else of claiming they're capable of strategizing with Pete/Schneider? That's just blind ignorance/arrogance on your part.

If you want to get back to discussing these off-season moves rationally, then I'm more than open to it.
You silly person, I never ever slammed Pete or John, and I certainly didn't make a comparison between them and Ruskell. The bit about "accusing" plyka of strategizing with our brain trust was simply a little sarcastic dig to emphasize the fact that he, in fact, does not know what their plan is or was. Anyhow plyka is a big boy and really doesn't need your kind of help.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2gf09cw8 said:
Playing Devil's advocate here, but a semi-serious question for those advocating "the plan" (I get that it is the path to follow);

If this is all part of the plan, when do the Hawks draft a QB with thoughts of replacing RW ?

Financially, it may be this year- next at the latest. A very good argument could be made (has been) for his being system success...
No.You never draft a future quarterback until your starter is well into his 2nd contract. Until then you keep a veteran as a backup.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":273kv5hq said:
hawknation2014":273kv5hq said:
If you didn't see these moves coming, then you haven't been paying close attention. This is exactly how you build a championship roster.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2bl21h1i said:
Grahamhawker":2bl21h1i said:
Playing Devil's advocate here, but a semi-serious question for those advocating "the plan" (I get that it is the path to follow);

If this is all part of the plan, when do the Hawks draft a QB with thoughts of replacing RW ?

Financially, it may be this year- next at the latest. A very good argument could be made (has been) for his being system success...
No.You never draft a future quarterback until your starter is well into his 2nd contract. Until then you keep a veteran as a backup.

??

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2hr5aly6 said:
onanygivensunday":2hr5aly6 said:
hawknation2014":2hr5aly6 said:

:thirishdrinkers:

:3-1:

:pukeface:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
hawknation2014":d8y7e47l said:
MysterMatt":d8y7e47l said:
hawknation2014":d8y7e47l said:
You silly person

I guess not.
You said "rationally" while demonstrating no reason.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MysterMatt":tv6fb6ux said:
hawknation2014":tv6fb6ux said:
MysterMatt":tv6fb6ux said:
hawknation2014":tv6fb6ux said:
You silly person

I guess not.

All I am requesting is that you make some cogent attempt to backup your arguments in any reasonable way whatsoever. Unless you're not here to discuss these moves rationally and would simply prefer to stick to the vapid name calling.

IMO, not one of these players deserved to be re-signed by the Seahawks at the level they have been. Doing so would have been to the detriment of the team, both in terms of diminishing opportunities this year for better players and limiting future cap space for re-signing the more important players. To do so would have been Ruskellesque.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
hawknation2014":37dn732a said:
MysterMatt":37dn732a said:
hawknation2014":37dn732a said:
MysterMatt":37dn732a said:
You silly person

I guess not.

All I am requesting is that you make some cogent attempt to backup your arguments in any reasonable way whatsoever. Unless you're not here to discuss these moves rationally and would simply prefer to stick to the vapid name calling.

IMO, not one of these players deserved to be re-signed by the Seahawks at the level they have been. Doing so would have been to the detriment of the team, both in terms of diminishing opportunities this year for better players and limiting future cap space for re-signing the more important players. To do so would have been Ruskellesque.
You keep missing the point. It isn't that we've failed to resign at least some of these players, I'm really most upset by Breno and Tate to a lesser degree, it's that at this moment we are thin on talent in a few key areas. We have failed to upgrade so far, and that bugs me a bit. Please, spare me the tripe about backups, hidden gems in FA, and the draft. That won't prove anything until we play ball again. Until then, I reserve the right to express my concerns. Deal or don't.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
This is probably the most predictable start to an offseason we have ever seen under pcjs. People we talking about these move since midseason, no real surprises yet.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I haven't been surprised by a single thing that's happened to the Seahawks so far this off-season. Bennett and Tate got exactly the amounts I thought they would. I thought Bennett would stay for a Clemons-ish deal and that $6m would be too rich for Seattle on Tate. Not surprised by any of the cuts and wouldn't be surprised if we retained Miller. The Breno thing I had no real thought on, but not really surprised it happened. I thought McDaniel and T-Jack were pretty crucial.

Been a very, very predictable off-season. And an incredibly smart one (no surprise).

Atradees

Reaction score
It has been exciting so far. I like it. We need a 5 tech or another rotational DT to replace McD's production and some olineman.

Thats my wish list. Baldwin had many similiar qualities to Tate-we need something more there in my opinion. The Jermichael Finley look is

definately interesting. Dont know if we get Allen or Hatcher; I'm only good with them on reasonable contracts and this is an inflated market

with the rise in the cap. Cant wait to see it unfold.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
MysterMatt":gfyn20oo said:
You keep missing the point. It isn't that we've failed to resign at least some of these players, I'm really most upset by Breno and Tate to a lesser degree, it's that at this moment we are thin on talent in a few key areas. We have failed to upgrade so far, and that bugs me a bit. Please, spare me the tripe about backups, hidden gems in FA, and the draft. That won't prove anything until we play ball again. Until then, I reserve the right to express my concerns. Deal or don't.

I can admit that this is at least a reasonable argument. However, I agree more with Pete when he says the most improvement we will see from the reigning Super Bowl champions is from within.

On the offensive line, young players like Bailey, Bowie, and Sweezy will continue to develop. Statistically, the rookie Bowie outplayed Breno last year. These young talents are going to continue to get better.

At WR, they invested heavily in Percy Harvin, who is basically like a new FA because he hardly played at all last season. And young players like Baldwin and Kearse will continue to improve.

The greatest potential for growth is already on the roster just waiting for that opportunity.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Want to know what's fun?

Go back one year ago and look at the posts here regarding free agency in the first couple of days.

Jason Jones left for Detroit and Alan Branch went to Buffalo, and people lost their shit.

Quotes included:

"I really expect a drop off on our defense. I guess the FO doesn't see the need to pursue it. While I love the Havin addition, will it make enough difference for our future drop off on defense?"

"Carroll seems to think Dan Quinn is just going to come in and solve everything"

Hell, at this time last year, people were worrying about whether or not Kam Chancellor would hit FA in 2014 (and there were plenty of folks who complained about the deal he received afterward).

NYCoug

Reaction score
Just gotta keep believin' in the process. Pete and John are probably very confident that they can find some more excellent players in the draft, plus there's the practically red-shirted draft class of 2013 also. Players will continue to step up and as much as it stings to lose our boys Golden, Breno, Red, Clem, etc. it's an inevitable part of the process. Eventually, one of these guys will probably even be back after not experiencing the same success in their new surroundings. That's just usually how this whole thing goes.

I think if you sat down with Pete and John right now, they'd tell you that they are very excited to try and not only fill the holes on the team that now exist, but to improve upon the position as well. I love Breno as much as the next Seahawks fan, but I also feel like it's not completely impossible to believe that the team can improve at Right Tackle either. Through the draft or free agency. It's still early in the process.

Golden's a bit of a different story. He produced not only at WR but at PR too. However, I definitely feel like there's got to be another guy out there, on this team already or about to be on this team in the near future, that can take over at PR and provide something similar to what we saw from Golden. Doug, Christine, someone off the radar at the moment? Whoever eventually replaces Golden at WR though doesn't necessarily have to be able to return punts. It'll be interesting to see if the team goes for the big-bodied WR they've apparently been after for years, or if they go with another Golden-type aka a guy that can make things happen after the catch.

I've got high hopes for next season. I'm definitely thinking Re-Pete, and the early events of Free Agency haven't gotten my hopes down in any way. It hurts losing guys like Golden and Breno and the rest of our guys that we've lost, but I'm excited for their futures as well as ours. C'est la vie.

Pete and John won't just fill the voids adequately, they are going to crush them out of the park and I honestly believe that this team will be better next season. I think people will start feeling good again once the first big extension is signed by Earl or Sherm. The next few months leading up to the season should be some interesting times in Seahawks Land. I predict that in that time span, between now and the start of the season, there will be on average about 2 full blown meltdowns on .Net, per day. Good times!

:snack: :thirishdrinkers:

MysterMatt

Reaction score
hawknation2014":of7pk9ld said:
MysterMatt":of7pk9ld said:

I can admit that this is at least a reasonable argument. However, I agree more with Pete when he says the most improvement we will see from the reigning Super Bowl champions is from within.

On the offensive line, young players like Bailey, Bowie, and Sweezy will continue to develop. Statistically, the rookie Bowie outplayed Breno last year. These young talents are going to continue to get better.

At WR, they invested heavily in Percy Harvin, who is basically like a new FA because he hardly played at all last season. And young players like Baldwin and Kearse will continue to improve.

The greatest potential for growth is already on the roster just waiting for that opportunity.
Spoken like a true homer, which is certainly your right. I tend to be a little more skeptical, as more times than not the scrappy over achievers we all love tend to reach their peak sooner that we wish. As NYCoug says, we have to trust the process, but I'm just acknowledging the obvious risk that comes with it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I just don't see how anyone can honestly question the moves that the Hawks FO makes after what we have been through in the draft and FA.

They have adapted to the hand they were dealt every season and made a competitive team each season they have been running things.

These guys are not the traditional FO. They added Bennett and Avril last year, changes that directly improved the defense and the rewards for Percy Harvin are not yet realized after winning the Super Bowl.

Just not ready to question anything yet.