Ex Brown DT Rubin Signed by Seahawks

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":1frnf4mc said:
HawkFan72":1frnf4mc said:
I don't either. And yet we see it all the time on here.

What a BS sentiment. Not directed at anyone in particular, but this recurring insinuation that we can't project how a particular player fits in with the team is an absolute killjoy. What the hell are we here for if not to channel our inner scouts/GM's? Let's just create 3 pages of threads where we salivate over Petey and Schneid's respective jocks, because we aren't worthy of talking actual football.

:idea:

Why don't we tell our resident draftniks to kiss off, too? After all, I trust our fearless leaders to pick the right players for our team, so anyone else is irrelevant.
Overreact much? :roll:

They have a history of picking up DL that most teams have discarded only to have them fit well into our system. Is that not true?

cacksman

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2glklsvu said:
Hawk Finn":2glklsvu said:
HawkFan72":2glklsvu said:

What a BS sentiment. Not directed at anyone in particular, but this recurring insinuation that we can't project how a particular player fits in with the team is an absolute killjoy. What the hell are we here for if not to channel our inner scouts/GM's? Let's just create 3 pages of threads where we salivate over Petey and Schneid's respective jocks, because we aren't worthy of talking actual football.

Why don't we tell our resident draftniks to kiss off, too? After all, I trust our fearless leaders to pick the right players for our team, so anyone else is irrelevant.
Overreact much? :roll:

They have a history of picking up DL that most teams have discarded only to have them fit well into our system. Is that not true?

That's true.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":1oplmi2f said:
HawkFan72":1oplmi2f said:
grizbob":1oplmi2f said:
HawkFan72":1oplmi2f said:
That's how I feel too. If they sign him, then they see something in him that would be a fit on our line.

After the last 4 years I don't see how anyone could feel differently. :roll:

No one is saying you can't have your own opinion. But if a fan takes the attitude of "This guy sucks, and there is no way he fits on our team" before they have even seen how Pete intends to use him, then I think that is pretty foolish. This FO has earned the benefit of the doubt with taking players and utilizing their strengths in unique ways to make them useful pieces of the team. That's all I was implying.

I'm not saying that Pete and John are always right, just saying I feel they have earned the benefit of the doubt in these types of acquisitions.

And of course we should all debate this stuff. You're right that this is what the forum is for! I'm not saying those discussions and debates should end. I merely said I don't understand how someone could take the stance of assuming Pete and John don't know what they are doing after seeing their track record. Just because a player sucked on the Browns does not mean that he will suck on the Seahawks, because I trust Pete and John see something in the player that they can use.

titan3131

Reaction score
on 950 kjr today holmgren was shocked when furness asked about this guy. He couldnt believe the browns let him go.

He gave a ringing endorsement on this guy saying he is very fast and strong and always after the ball.

he was very high on the guy.

TahoeHawk

Reaction score
I know other people with more expertise will correct me on this ... but, for a few years now, hasn't the way the Seahawks organize and deploy and play the players on the D-Line involved a lot of rotation and substitution ... such that even if a guy can't be an "every down contributor" ... maybe he still winds up being valuable in some way?

ivotuk

Reaction score
CLEVELAND -- Ahtyba Rubin played 13 games last season, hitting the 100-game mark in Cleveland after seven years with the team, playing out his four-year, $26.5-million deal.

Rubin He wasn't healthy for 13 games. Not even close. Rubin said on Thursday he "really wasn't right the whole year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... owns-plans

"Rubin and Raji, two of the NFL's better nose tackles, will try to resurrect their careers. Dogged by ankle problems, Rubin had an off year. Raji suffered a biceps tear Aug. 22 and missed the season."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 73191.html

"Teams looking for a diamond in the rough for a run-stuffing presence would be wise to take a close look at Rubin.

Rubin transferred to Iowa State following a successful tour of duty at Trinity Valley Community College, where he was used as both a defensive tackle and offensive guard. Once at Iowa State, Rubin was moved to nose guard and paid immediate dividends, starting nine games and registering 34 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, and 1.0 sack despite not joining the team until August (2006).

Rubin's statistical improvement his senior season was minimal (42 tackles, 4 TFL, 1.5 sacks), but his impact on the Iowa State defense was not. With a build like a coke machine, Rubin is tough to move off the line of scrimmage, providing play-making opportunities for the defenders around him."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aht ... in?id=1344

Bobblehead

Reaction score
TahoeHawk":3pf0n0lm said:
I know other people with more expertise will correct me on this ... but, for a few years now, hasn't the way the Seahawks organize and deploy and play the players on the D-Line involved a lot of rotation and substitution ... such that even if a guy can't be an "every down contributor" ... maybe he still winds up being valuable in some way?

Perhaps for a couple of years. However, with the escalating salaries,, it wasn't feasible to do so anymore.
Anyway, that's how I see it. I don't thin it was a strategy, more than it was what we were able to do.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":3cpai63h said:
[

Well, let's just go to a polar extremes here. That's as bad as our inner - GM's saying 'no thanks' before they even know how the team intends to use the guy. Not like we had a top-10 or even top-one-or-two ranked D the last couple of seasons. Most of the 'inner-GM channeling' I've seen here so far is 'well Cleveland fans said blah, blah, blah.' :lol: I'm sure some incredible analysis goes into that. :?

original poster

Reaction score
I don't know much about him but being the off season, he'd have plenty of time to show in training camp if he's worth any playing time or not, no problem with signing him whatsoever on the basis that he either will or won't prove his worth before we actually need him.

Not to mention PC/JS have a very good track record at DT.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2itw6rr8 said:
Rubin transferred to Iowa State following a successful tour of duty at Trinity Valley Community College, where he was used as both a defensive tackle and offensive guard. Once at Iowa State, Rubin was moved to nose guard and paid immediate dividends, starting nine games and registering 34 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, and 1.0 sack

Trinity Valley CC? A famous Seattle athlete went there too. It's fate.

A

Anonymous

Seanhawk":2jrow23k said:
ivotuk":2jrow23k said:
Rubin transferred to Iowa State following a successful tour of duty at Trinity Valley Community College, where he was used as both a defensive tackle and offensive guard. Once at Iowa State, Rubin was moved to nose guard and paid immediate dividends, starting nine games and registering 34 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, and 1.0 sack

Trinity Valley CC? A famous Seattle athlete went there too. It's fate.

(*raises hand and waves it furiously from the back of the class...*)

Ooh, ooh, ooooooohhhh.... I know, I know, I know!

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2qr9q9s7 said:
No one is saying you can't have your own opinion. But if a fan takes the attitude of "This guy sucks, and there is no way he fits on our team" before they have even seen how Pete intends to use him, then I think that is pretty foolish. This FO has earned the benefit of the doubt with taking players and utilizing their strengths in unique ways to make them useful pieces of the team. That's all I was implying.

I'm not saying that Pete and John are always right, just saying I feel they have earned the benefit of the doubt in these types of acquisitions.

And of course we should all debate this stuff. You're right that this is what the forum is for! I'm not saying those discussions and debates should end. I merely said I don't understand how someone could take the stance of assuming Pete and John don't know what they are doing after seeing their track record. Just because a player sucked on the Browns does not mean that he will suck on the Seahawks, because I trust Pete and John see something in the player that they can use.

HawKnPeppa":2qr9q9s7 said:
Well, let's just go to a polar extremes here. That's as bad as our inner - GM's saying 'no thanks' before they even know how the team intends to use the guy. Not like we had a top-10 or even top-one-or-two ranked D the last couple of seasons. Most of the 'inner-GM channeling' I've seen here so far is 'well Cleveland fans said blah, blah, blah.' :lol: I'm sure some incredible analysis goes into that. :?

All true, but if I took the stance of "this guy sucks, and there is no way he fits on our team" I would think that would spark a nice lively debate, wouldn't it? Certainly moreso than 20 consecutive replies of "In P&J We Trust". How much analysis goes into that? It's like those phone-a-lawyer commercials - "Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes". This team has done a fantastic job, but is not infallible.

As for the passive aggressive eye rolls - I see a struck a nerve with some, but this air of condescension because someone dares to step outside the groupthink tank just rubbed me the wrong way. For the record, I like Rubin and think he'd be an excellent acquisition. I guess I just want the freedom to express that, rather than the typical "hey yo, if John digs him, it's cool with me".

zifnab32

Reaction score
titan3131":3gqck7w9 said:
on 950 kjr today holmgren was shocked when furness asked about this guy. He couldnt believe the browns let him go.

He gave a ringing endorsement on this guy saying he is very fast and strong and always after the ball.

Holmgren also drafted Trent Richardson

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've seen a few league wide guys say this would be a good pickup. Kind of surprised people on the forum are so low on him. High ceiling guy who played hurt last year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
zifnab32":3cku86xx said:
titan3131":3cku86xx said:

And your point is...?

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2956q62d said:
zifnab32":2956q62d said:
titan3131":2956q62d said:

And your point is...?
Exactly. Richardson was a beast with Cleveland, running and catching the ball.

kf3339

Reaction score
Hawk Finn you are correct IMO, but it won't fly hear with many on this board. It use to not be like this but ever since we became a really good team with PC and JS it's has changed in many ways for the worse.

Don't let it get to you, and start using the ignore button with those posters you don't care for. It makes it more sane.

grizbob

Reaction score
kf3339":19xmszlk said:
Hawk Finn you are correct IMO, but it won't fly hear with many on this board. It use to not be like this but ever since we became a really good team with PC and JS it's has changed in many ways for the worse.

Don't let it get to you, and start using the ignore button with those posters you don't care for. It makes it more sane.

Yeah, those kool Aid drinkers that that feel PC and JS have a firmer grip on player eval than the wanna be GM's are REALLY hard to take :sarcasm_off:

Latest posts