Ex Brown DT Rubin Signed by Seahawks

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
grizbob":2ak18pb4 said:
kf3339":2ak18pb4 said:
Hawk Finn you are correct IMO, but it won't fly hear with many on this board. It use to not be like this but ever since we became a really good team with PC and JS it's has changed in many ways for the worse.

Don't let it get to you, and start using the ignore button with those posters you don't care for. It makes it more sane.

Yeah, those kool Aid drinkers that that feel PC and JS have a firmer grip on player eval than the wanna be GM's are REALLY hard to take :sarcasm_off:

Dear Mr Bob (may I call you Griz?),

I really enjoy your posts, so I hope we can engage in some real talk; specifically, I just don't understand your angle, here. If the team signs a player, or is rumored to be interested in a player, is it your belief that I am not allowed to project how that player may fit on the roster? Should my only contribution to each thread be a simple, "Whatever John and Pete want"? I am already aware of the fact that the FO is much more qualified than I am in terms of player evaluation, acquisition, development and hell, everything else. Does that mean I'm not allowed to speculate how that transaction may benefit the team? It sure seems like it, and it is eerily similar to those self-described "real" Americans that spew the "love it or leave it" rhetoric anytime someone dares to question government policy. It also comes dangerously close to the whole "I'm a better fan than you are" shtick that I thought we were rallying against. On an unrelated note, I've accepted the fact that I really have a problem with the overuse of quotation marks. Seriously, I feel like Dr. Evil.

Anyways, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I do think Rubin would be a good fit. I wonder if he might be insurance in case Williams isn't resigned, or are the two completely unrelated?

grizbob

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":24m3x8p5 said:
grizbob":24m3x8p5 said:
kf3339":24m3x8p5 said:
Hawk Finn you are correct IMO, but it won't fly hear with many on this board. It use to not be like this but ever since we became a really good team with PC and JS it's has changed in many ways for the worse.

Don't let it get to you, and start using the ignore button with those posters you don't care for. It makes it more sane.

Yeah, those kool Aid drinkers that that feel PC and JS have a firmer grip on player eval than the wanna be GM's are REALLY hard to take :sarcasm_off:

Dear Mr Bob (may I call you Griz?),

I really enjoy your posts, so I hope we can engage in some real talk; specifically, I just don't understand your angle, here. If the team signs a player, or is rumored to be interested in a player, is it your belief that I am not allowed to project how that player may fit on the roster? Should my only contribution to each thread be a simple, "Whatever John and Pete want"? I am already aware of the fact that the FO is much more qualified than I am in terms of player evaluation, acquisition, development and hell, everything else. Does that mean I'm not allowed to speculate how that transaction may benefit the team? It sure seems like it, and it is eerily similar to those self-described "real" Americans that spew the "love it or leave it" rhetoric anytime someone dares to question government policy. It also comes dangerously close to the whole "I'm a better fan than you are" shtick that I thought we were rallying against. On an unrelated note, I've accepted the fact that I really have a problem with the overuse of quotation marks. Seriously, I feel like Dr. Evil.

Anyways, I didn't mean to derail the thread. I do think Rubin would be a good fit. I wonder if he might be insurance in case Williams isn't resigned, or are the two completely unrelated?

Hey HF, you can call me griz. No angle, it just amazes me given the track record this FO has in the last 4 years there are some that feel the need to stroke their ego by criticizing actions they don't understand. Must admit to scratching my head a few times as well but I'm still stoked to be in the middle of a special era for this team and still breathing. And no it's not my belief that you or anybody else shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion not sure where that came from but it's all good. Go Hawks!!

kf3339

Reaction score
grizbob":1c2txdck said:
kf3339":1c2txdck said:

Not the point, but thanks for asking.

GLio14

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/578680500660924418[/tweet]

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Interesting pickup.........was pretty good a few years ago and then struggled the last couple.

Brithawk

Reaction score
From friends who are browns fan, they're overjoyed at getting rid

MT @MikeGarafolo: Seahawks are signing former DT Ahtyba Rubin

Rubin was truly horrendous last year, but he wasn't even remotely decent for the previous couple of years either.
If they want him to cover for the Mebane role of taking on two blockers then they'll be in trouble. Guy just gets pushed back straight away.

McGruff

Reaction score
Brithawk":2pou08v9 said:

Rubin was truly horrendous last year, but he wasn't even remotely decent for the previous couple of years either.
If they want him to cover for the Mebane role of taking on two blockers then they'll be in trouble. Guy just gets pushed back straight away.

Ignorance. Our defense doesn't really have DT's take on two blockers. In fact, Mebane's specific role is often to take on a single blocker and have the strength and vision to cover two gaps. Sometimes he may encounter a double team, but its not like a 3-4 defense where the interior linemen are outnumbered.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He's been hurt. I think he surprises some people this year.

OP
OP
Hyak

Hyak

Reaction score
Now the interesting question is whether this is an addition to the group or a replacement for Mebane......

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
JTB":2dt8g0sd said:
Now the interesting question is whether this is an addition to the group or a replacement for Mebane......
Leverage to get Bane to re-structure, which he may not and then would be cut.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
McGruff":2nevjf6j said:
Brithawk":2nevjf6j said:

Ignorance. Our defense doesn't really have DT's take on two blockers. In fact, Mebane's specific role is often to take on a single blocker and have the strength and vision to cover two gaps. Sometimes he may encounter a double team, but its not like a 3-4 defense where the interior linemen are outnumbered.

Exactly!

Rubin is not a NT - he is a run-stuffing 3-tech, in the mold of McDaniel more than Mebane. Fairly clear he was not utilized properly the past two years in Cleveland. Decent rotational help, nothing more. We are VERY thin at DT, so this is one of many "back of the roster" moves that I would expect in the next few weeks to help replenish our DT position.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see this as any sort of move to force Mebane to do anything. It might give a little insurance if we can't come to an agreement (which I still think we can), but that's all. As others have posted, this is just to address the DT positiona as a whole. It's more in preparation for the draft than anything, IMO.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
This pretty much guarantees that Mebane will either take a salary cut, or be released. I'm thinking the slightly more likely outcome now is his release. And Rubin is absolutely not a 3-technique, he's 1-technique NT in a 4-3, the role in which he totally shined during his early career in Cleveland before they switched to the 3-4 three years ago and asked him to play the wrong position (DE) in the wrong scheme.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":258iwbmr said:
This pretty much guarantees that Mebane will either take a salary cut, or be released. I'm thinking the slightly more likely outcome now is his release. And Rubin is absolutely not a 3-technique, he's 1-technique NT in a 4-3, the role in which he totally shined during his early career in Cleveland before they switched to the 3-4 three years ago and asked him to play the wrong position (DE) in the wrong scheme.

Fairly sure that Phil Taylor played NT in Cleveland his rookie year in the 4-3 alignment - and I think 2012 as well, Rubin played a lot of NT this past season and got abused. I still contend that this signing has zero to do with Mebane. The NT position with Seattle is often a two-gap assigment - which Rubin has demonstrated he cannot handle.

McGruff

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":10f3eet9 said:

Pretty sure they put him at NT in the 3-4, which is even worse.

We don't really play 1 Tech. We call Bane a 1 tech, but he really plays more like a 0-Tech, head straight up on his blocker.

I typical 1 Tech is a one gapper. Mebane (and Rubin) are best as two gappers.

McGruff

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":3rm9fnbd said:
NorthDallas40oz":3rm9fnbd said:

Fairly sure that Phil Taylor played NT in Cleveland his rookie year in the 4-3 alignment - and I think 2012 as well, Rubin played a lot of NT this past season and got abused. I still contend that this signing has zero to do with Mebane. The NT position with Seattle is often a two-gap assigment - which Rubin has demonstrated he cannot handle.

Oh, we are all kinds of contradicting each other.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I like this. Hawks are very good at these underrated DL signings. He should provide good depth and help in our rotations.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
McGruff":3rewhi60 said:
Spleenhawk2.0":3rewhi60 said:
NorthDallas40oz":3rewhi60 said:

Oh, we are all kinds of contradicting each other.

The use of "NT" in place of 1-tech / 0-tech is my fault. But I do not believe Rubin has excelled at two-gap. When he played alongside Taylor a few years back in a traditional 4-3, I believe he played the 1-gap position and Taylor played 1-tech

But my Cleveland Browns DL knowledge is fairly limited......

Bprez3

Reaction score
From what I have read about this guy is he played on a bad ankle last year. I am happy with this signing. Hopefully, he can stay healthy and provide depth. Unlike last year when we were forced to sign the team valet in Landon Cohen

Latest posts