Excited for next year already

nash72

Reaction score
If there isnt some changes with the coordinators, then no, i'm not excited about next season because it will just be a continual of our regression. I will be more depressed than excited. We dont have the personnel or talent to run the same philosophy and scheme anymore. We need to adapt and change and I dont feel our coaching staff can do that (yeah, talking about you too Pete). If there are no changes at all then we know there are no changes coming and we can expect the same thing as we got this season. A division title by default, a home playoff game against another pretender, and another beating as soon as we hit the road. Not real excited about that.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bitter":aetxewvw said:
semiahmoo":aetxewvw said:
It ain't panic when we've see two seasons of incompetence coming from the OC side of the fence.

It's just keeping a bad habit around that might be killing you.

Doctor: Hey, you're in the beginning stages of COPD. You gotta stop smoking now or it's gonna kill you.

Patient: Don't panic! Let's be thankful for what we have and think this over.

Two years later...

Patient dies.

This. Saying these coordinators and coaches should get raises, in my opinion, is laughable. It is rare in the NFL to have the level of talent that is on this roster be underutilized and wasted to the extent that this coaching staff has done with this group the last few years. This coaching staff has made that an art form, and is not being held to the same "always compete" standards the players are held to. If I was a player on this team I would be fed up with it too, and think some of what we have seen on the sidelines this year is a direct result of the coordinators and the coaches not being held to that standard. I also still think Pete started losing buy in on the rah-rah BS when Bevell wasn't held accountable after the loss to the Pats, and it has been steadily eroding ever since. Pete without that buy in is a much less effective coach, and I believe the last 2 years are evidence if that.

I was far more entertained by the early-mid 90's teams than I have been the this team the last 2 years. I understood what those teams were and could therefor enjoy the games knowing what expectations should be while still hoping they find a way to overcome the odds. Hoping the current team can find a way to play to actual talent sucks, especially considering (in general) how far below their talent level they are playing. Do the players need to step up? Absolutely. But when the entire team is playing well below potential, that is on the coaches.

I think I only found myself actually entertained watching the Seahawks 3 times this year (the playoff game against the Lions being one of those times.) Even when they won, I found myself often times being more irritated than elated. At this point I think that unless there are major changes in the coaching staff I may not watch next regular season. But will probably happen is nothing will change and we will get to football season and I will still be watching because a am an (idiot) fan.

Completely agree. Great posts fellas.

We cannot expect that we'll be able to just reload All-World talent every year. Our drafts have been inconsistent the last couple years, just like our last 2 seasons. The time to win is now and a bit of a shakeup is needed.

We need a new set of objective eyes to revamp our mediocre offense and someone who has a brain to call more than just 3 first read targets to our HOF talent TE in a playoff game. Simply, perhaps we could do better with a new OC...and DC too. As I detailed in another thread, our D is aging, losing a half step here and there and is slowly taking a large step back. Scheme changes are necessary to compensate.

There are still many reasons to be positive about our future. I believe we'll remain competitive but when your team becomes "stagnant" for 2 seasons, great organizations will take a chance at adjusting to improve. This league has a way of catching up with you if you remain idle and fail to evolve.

I don't actually expect Pete to terminate any coaches, however or to change any scheme or adjust his O or D philosophy-and that's what's so maddening. We can only hope that change comes somehow. In the entertainment business, as the NFL completely is, stagnation only leads to frustration.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2dk2enkd said:
What you are advocating semi is what weak teams do. There's not an NFC team out there that has won as many games as the Hawks over the course of the past 5 years. We are always in the mix for a title. The gap for us to pop and win the big one is minor compared to many of the teams around the league. And the coaches we have to close that gap know this team better than any and will get it done. We will win a championship again in the next 3 years.

Knee jerk reactions are what bad teams do, what good teams do is give time, observe results and make the necessary adjustments. Do you really believe Bellichek wouldn't have made some adjustments, just last season the pats fired their ol coach when he wasn't happy with their performance during the season. You have to not act hastily but you have to at some point realize that the status quo isn't working and continuing futility isn't the best course either, Belichek gets that, Saban gets that look at firing Kiffin at the biggest moment of the year. I'm sure you'll point to the loss but that was Clemson going out and winning a game not Bama not being good enough. Fear of moving on is just as bad as moving too quickly. Bevell and Richard have both had time to put their stamps on their units. We're seeing regression from a strength and no improvement in the other unit. Simply not good enough. In 3 years we may be sitting with a closing window wishing we had changed coordinators when our talent was in its prime. That is just as likely as the scenario you're laying out. Your argument that the coaches we have know this team better than any, that in itself could be part of the problem. It's human nature, you form relationships, bonds, trust, maybe some fresh eyes is what this team needs. A fresh approach, it may inspire and revitalize a team that has looked anything but inspired of late.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sorry.

2 years in a row we came in as a wildcard.

2 years in a row we not only lost the next game after the wildcard but lost badly.

We are now not a contender, we are a wildcard. We can win, but we do not have the horses or the coaching to take us all the way. I think Carroll has surrounded himself with guys he trusts, but not necessarily guys that deliver. And it shows.

This is no longer an elite team, it is a pretty good to very good team. Good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do anything once we get there.

(I am not counting beating wildcard teams that never beat anyone else either)

Considering we endured years of 2-14 seasons, success is relative. This beats the pants off that, but all those dry years are supposed to be offset by a few of plenty. Considering the roster, I think this staff leaves a lot of chips on the table - we should have had a few better years than we had - even with the injuries.

Regardless, we are among the good teams but we are not among the best, and we have not been so for at least this year and last.

The NFL is built to create parity. The idea that we would somehow escape the mechanisms that strip teams from succeeding so that other teams can succeed is probably folly.

Next year will probably be a repeat of this year, with a few less important players going down like they did, but other important players slowly sliding off the roster too.

Maybe we can start playing good football and at least making the games watchable again, but I wouldn't expect any deep runs in the playoffs - at least not without some big changes in the coaching staffs.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Totally agree. A top 5 QB, an emerging Paul Richardson to go with Lockett, Graham, and Baldwin. Prosise and Rawls for the combo. If we invest in an O-line, we're dangerous

edogg23

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1690udy3 said:
semiahmoo":1690udy3 said:
falcongoggles":1690udy3 said:
Has a single coordinator been held accountable? No...so my enthusiasm is completely flatlined until that happens

Amen.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if we are being out-coached game after game, we will never be a SB contending team.

We weren't out coached yesterday, Atlanta was simply just better. They were better the first time we played too we just got bailed out by a timely non call.

Sometimes it's just that simple. And it's not the result of 100 other things. Do we have holes? Of course. But none of those holes were being addressed yesterday and the Falcons exposed them as a good team should.
I refuse to believe that on paper Atlanta has a more talented roster than us. There offensive game plan was far superior to ours. Julio Jones missed half the game and it didn't even matter. Imagine if Atlanta used Julio like we used Jimmy...

semiahmoo

Reaction score
edogg23":jqw283n1 said:
Hasselbeck":jqw283n1 said:
semiahmoo":jqw283n1 said:
falcongoggles":jqw283n1 said:
Has a single coordinator been held accountable? No...so my enthusiasm is completely flatlined until that happens

Amen.

You can have all the talent in the world, but if we are being out-coached game after game, we will never be a SB contending team.

We weren't out coached yesterday, Atlanta was simply just better. They were better the first time we played too we just got bailed out by a timely non call.

Sometimes it's just that simple. And it's not the result of 100 other things. Do we have holes? Of course. But none of those holes were being addressed yesterday and the Falcons exposed them as a good team should.
I refuse to believe that on paper Atlanta has a more talented roster than us. There offensive game plan was far superior to ours. Julio Jones missed half the game and it didn't even matter. Imagine if Atlanta used Julio like we used Jimmy...

Would tend to agree. They were the better team via coaching, attitude, execution, and ultimately, performance.

Thus, the better team won.