Expansion of International Series Likely

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm 100% for the international series and feel that they should also consider US cities that don't have an NFL franchise, places like Salt Lake City, UT, Birmingham, AL, Lincoln, NE, Eugene OR. Make each team that is scheduled to have a 9th home game schedule it at a neutral site, whether that be overseas, in Canada, or domestically here at home.

NFL confirms Brazil and Spain site trips as international demand grows

The NFL touted the global demand for its product ahead of its five international games and confirmed Friday that cities in Brazil and Spain are under review as potential hosts in the future.

O’Reilly said they haven’t made similar scouting trips to other cities, but he reiterated the league’s interest in countries such as France and Australia.

Australia would be "challenging from a distance perspective," he said, but it’s "a great market where you’ve got a passionate NFL fan base."

flv2

Reaction score
Spain should be low on the list of International Series locations and France would significantly lower. Britain and Germany could sell-out 12+ games between them. Ireland can host the odd game. Elsewhere in Europe could be a reach.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't see how having games in other US cities would generate extra interest or income.
It certainly isn't as big of an untapped market as are international locations, but there are still opportunities for increased exposure. They would have 16 games to hold at neutral locations, and for one reason or another, there might not be that many suitable international venues, at least initially. I know that if I lived in someplace like Hawaii or South Dakota, I'd love to have the opportunity to attend a game that was within a few hours' drive.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I like the idea of doing games at neutral sites here in the US as opposed to Europe. There are still plenty of people in the US that are fans that don't go to games due to location/travel. Why not cater to them first?

Hell, even anything in North America. Canada, Mexico, etc.

Trying to expand into Europe is too ambitious. Get a lock on the US and North America first. Keep the floor high instead of trying to heighten the potential ceiling.

Just my opinion. I'm not a professional business planner.

86Hawk

Reaction score
I'm curious as to how US cities are allowing this to happen. Taxpayers are paying for these palaces so the team will play in that city. I keep waiting for one of these cities to do something about it. I know I'll be unhappy when the Seahawks eventually lose a home game. Is there a rule that I'm not aware of?

James in PA

Reaction score
Just move the Jaguars overseas. They're like the default international team anyway. You'll have a guaranteed 8-9 international games yearly.

djb28

Reaction score
Hosting games in other Countries sucks. Why not just have an NFL 2. Let our guys stay home and play. If you want to get creative let the two winners of their respective Super Bowls play another for World Champion.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The move to a 17 game schedule, which was a stupid move to begin with IMO, begs for a single game on a neutral site that doesn't count as either a home or away game.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have Hawaii get a team first than a team in Europe. But Hawaii doesn't have any suitable venues to host NFL games. The Largest stadium is Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, and its capacity is just over 50,000. It would be more fun to visit Honolulu on away games than London. Especially if you're on the west coast.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Every time I see that damned ad from AWS about making the NFL schedule by simulating trillions of possible season schedules "in a fraction of the time," I think "with all that technology, why can't you dumbasses take into account travel and rest, proven to be major factors in game outcomes, when you make the schedule, so it can be at least a little more fair?"

Long-distance international travel (Europe, South America, Oceania, Asia, Africa) for the NFL is a bad idea. It can very easily make the schedule even more unfair. Mexico and Canada make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I think American football ought to stay in the US.

If Goodell wants international games, start an international league with the cooperation of other countries.

Just leave the NFL here in the US.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I think American football ought to stay in the US.

If Goodell wants international games, start an international league with the cooperation of other countries.

Just leave the NFL here in the US.
Agreed.

I can't stand all the international stuff. I don't know/wasn't paying attention/don't really care about the history and demise of NFL Europe - but this seems like 2.0.

The logistics and timing and schedule breaking nature of all of it is just too much IMO. But I could be jaded post-munich. And, yes, I'm still bitching about Munich.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
It would be suicide for an owner to move a team like the Jags overseas. Very few free agents are going to want to play in England that far away from family and friends. It would be like joining the Navy and going on deployment. The only way it would work is if you put an entire division in Europe, and if you did that, the novelty effect of having this unique American experience to attend will soon wear off. Anyone remember NFL Europe?

The league should keep things as they are now, with a dozen or so games in a handful of countries spread around the globe. You don't ever want to hold so many games over there so as to make them routine, like a mid summer MLB game or something. Those folks are bandwagoner-type fans that are ecstatic to be able to experience something uniquely American. They don't have a deep seated passion for the sport because they didn't play it and grow up with it like many of us native born Americans have.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The Bills just got royally screwed by this international BS. They had to travel to London and play a team that had already been there for more than a week. To top it all off, this was a Bills "home" game. Do you think the Bills lose to a Jags team in Buffalo? Whoever made this schedule did a piss poor job.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It certainly isn't as big of an untapped market as are international locations, but there are still opportunities for increased exposure. They would have 16 games to hold at neutral locations, and for one reason or another, there might not be that many suitable international venues, at least initially. I know that if I lived in someplace like Hawaii or South Dakota, I'd love to have the opportunity to attend a game that was within a few hours' drive.

I think it's more the owners/cities don't want to give up the revenue generating home game(s), just to have their team play in another state and city that already has it's own fan base and loyalty to another team.

Overseas is a different animal. Much better stadiums, huge Ex-Pat presence, and the ticket/advertising generating revenue necessary to compensate the owners for giving up a home game or two.