Expansion of International Series Likely

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I hate the International series even more then TNF both need to die in fire. No other professional league forces overseas travel. And no football team should be forced to play on 4 days rest its stupid and not about competition just pure money.
That's weird. I could have sworn the National Hockey League has been holding overseas, regular season games for years.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That's weird. I could have sworn the National Hockey League has been holding overseas, regular season games for years.
I know they do some outdoor games but I haven't ever heard of any NHL games overseas (I don't consider Canada as overseas).

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think it's more the owners/cities don't want to give up the revenue generating home game(s), just to have their team play in another state and city that already has it's own fan base and loyalty to another team.

Overseas is a different animal. Much better stadiums, huge Ex-Pat presence, and the ticket/advertising generating revenue necessary to compensate the owners for giving up a home game or two.
Not every state has a unified fan base. For example, I've found that there are a lot of people in the southern part of Idaho who are Bronco fans while northern Idaho has a lot of Hawk fans. I'm only guessing, but I'd say that Hawaii has a kaleidoscope of fans, that no one team has more than 30 or 40% of the total fan base.

But you're right about owners not wanting to give up a home game. It's why the Hawks have never hosted a home game overseas while the Jags donate one every year, because the Hawks always sell out and Jax has lots of difficulty selling tickets.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not every state has a unified fan base. For example, I've found that there are a lot of people in the southern part of Idaho who are Bronco fans while northern Idaho has a lot of Hawk fans. I'm only guessing, but I'd say that Hawaii has a kaleidoscope of fans, that no one team has more than 30 or 40% of the total fan base.

But you're right about owners not wanting to give up a home game. It's why the Hawks have never hosted a home game overseas while the Jags donate one every year, because the Hawks always sell out and Jax has lots of difficulty selling tickets.

My point is I don't think there'd be the same hype and fervor of playing in other American cities like there is overseas. Because of the reason I listed, yeah there'd be SOME fans of the teams playing, but the majority would just be buying a ticket to buy a ticket to see an NFL game. I guess.

But yes, 90% of the reason is the owners don't want to give up the home games without some serious compensation. Which I guess is possible inside the US?

Also as someone's already stated, there has to be a world class NFL caliber stadium, not an outdated older college football or general purpose stadium without the infrastructure or amenities (hotels, restaurants, etc) surrounding it. Logistically that'd be hard to do in much of the US.

flv2

Reaction score
Agreed.

I can't stand all the international stuff. I don't know/wasn't paying attention/don't really care about the history and demise of NFL Europe - but this seems like 2.0.

The logistics and timing and schedule breaking nature of all of it is just too much IMO. But I could be jaded post-munich. And, yes, I'm still bitching about Munich.
So you don't know, haven't paid attention, and don't really care...but it doesn't stop you from having a really strong opinion based on ignorance that you're compelled to share with the board. :rolleyes:

NINEster

Reaction score
I think schedules should be dealt with appropriately to accommodate all this overseas travel for teams, but nothing wrong with having these kind of games to bring a different energy to some of these games.

Based on Germany getting a game, Brazil is definitely so deserving of one. I don't know much about Germany NFL social media, but what I've seen of Brazil NFL IG page and others, their content and commentary is just like the American stuff, just in Portuguese. They definitely love the sport, and it's such a great country to host an NFL game.

Your boy Giacomini was son of Brazilians. I saw some stuff he did promoting the league down there years back.

Currently only Cairos Santos of the Bears is an actual Brazilian in the league, so I imagine out of respect to him they should get one Bears game (and hopefully another based on recent Bears' teams, haha).

flv2

Reaction score
The Bills just got royally screwed by this international BS. They had to travel to London and play a team that had already been there for more than a week. To top it all off, this was a Bills "home" game. Do you think the Bills lose to a Jags team in Buffalo? Whoever made this schedule did a piss poor job.
Teams getting money from the NFL for new stadia or renovations are required to host an International Series game. Current policy is that teams from the conference with 9 home games will give up a home game. Teams/locations applying for future Super Bowl hosting also have to give up a home game. Any team prepared to play 2 International Series games in 1 season deserves the break of playing both games back-to-back in the same location to save on travel.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Bills just got royally screwed by this international BS. They had to travel to London and play a team that had already been there for more than a week. To top it all off, this was a Bills "home" game. Do you think the Bills lose to a Jags team in Buffalo? Whoever made this schedule did a piss poor job.
No doubt, what an absolute joke. "Home game" for Buffalo? um........no, not at all.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
So you don't know, haven't paid attention, and don't really care...but it doesn't stop you from having a really strong opinion based on ignorance that you're compelled to share with the board. :rolleyes:
No, I said that I didn't pay attention to NFL Europe. It was too early in my fandom, and probably just off my radar. I do remember it seeming like it ended in a fiasco. And if it was successful - they'd still be doing it.

That's fundamentally different than saying that I hate the international games at all. Just don't like them. So, like - I got an opinion on that.

And yea, I ******* hated Munich. It ripped the guts out of our season for purely promotional purposes - and had a worse field than the Cardinals - if that's even POSSIBLE.

Summary: I missed NFL Europe. I ******* hate the international games. Period - don't care who's playing them, but especially us.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
I hate the International series even more then TNF both need to die in fire. No other professional league forces overseas travel. And no football team should be forced to play on 4 days rest its stupid and not about competition just pure money.
There have already been cup finals in soccer from the Spanish league in America.

I come from Germany and don't quite understand why we Germans aren't even allowed to have 1-2 games per season.

I think some Americans don't really know how popular American football has become, even though the games here come at the worst times.
The early games start at 7pm, the later ones at 10:30pm and TNF, SNF and MNF are usually only connected with vacation or completely without sleep before work, yet the TV ratings are getting bigger and bigger.

Basically we Germans are spending tons of money on fan merchandise which in turn helps the NFL market itself better, higher caps, better stadiums etc.

I think you can give us 1-2 games a year. :p

PS: Both for the Munich game last year (which I was at) and the two Frankfurt games there were over 3 million ticket requests PER GAME and probably there would have been even more if people hadn't given up before.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
My point is I don't think there'd be the same hype and fervor of playing in other American cities like there is overseas. Because of the reason I listed, yeah there'd be SOME fans of the teams playing, but the majority would just be buying a ticket to buy a ticket to see an NFL game. I guess.

But yes, 90% of the reason is the owners don't want to give up the home games without some serious compensation. Which I guess is possible inside the US?

Also as someone's already stated, there has to be a world class NFL caliber stadium, not an outdated older college football or general purpose stadium without the infrastructure or amenities (hotels, restaurants, etc) surrounding it. Logistically that'd be hard to do in much of the US.
Have you ever been to Lambeau Field? I have. Except for the ambiance of being the oldest stadium in the league, Titletown, et al, it's the worst facility in the NFL. The majority of the seating is bench seats without backs. Getting to and from it is a nightmare. There's no public transportation. There are no bars, restaurants, or hotels within walking distance. If they can play 8-9 regular season games in that dump, they can play one in a venue like Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, NE.

You're right, there wouldn't be the same enthusiasm for a game in an out of market US city as there would be for an overseas contest. But finding 16 international locales might be a bit of a challenge for teams, and a good fallback would be to take the game to someplace outside of a half day's drive from the nearest NFL city.

Plus, I'm not talking only about US cities in the lower 48. Why not have a game or two in Canada? Edmonton and Vancouver both have stadiums that would meet NFL standards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
The owners voted to expand the international series to 8 games starting in 2025. They also cut the number of home games a team can protect from 4 to 2:

Earlier this week, NFL owners approved a plan to play eight games outside of the United States per season starting in 2025.
While team owners approved the plan, it was not unanimous.
Bears owner George McCaskey cast the lone dissenting vote, per NFL insider Jonathan Jones of CBS.

In previous seasons, NFL teams were allowed to protect four home games from being selected for international play. With Wednesday's vote, those protections were cut in half to two.

McCaskey cited this as the reason for his "No" vote. He also got a big laugh from the room with his explanation.

"We have generational talents coming in," McCaskey said, via Jones. "Fans want to see Patrick Mahomes coming in. They want to see Josh Allen coming in. They want to see Jalen Hurts coming in. They want to see Tommy DeVito coming in."

No team will be asked to play more than one game per year outside of the country unless they request to do so.

I'm likely one of the few that's all for the international series, but I like it for a couple of reasons. First of all, when games are played in Europe, it gives the league an extra time slot with a 6:30am PT game. Secondly, on a personal level, it gives me a chance to go visit other countries. I went to our game in London back in 2018 and had an absolute blast. It's a great way to see the world.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Here's a prediction. I haven't read it anywhere; I'm just making a guess on my own.

Next season, the Seahawks will face the Miami Dolphins in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Here's why:

The Miami Dolphins have been awarded the Brazilian market, so it only makes sense that they'll be involved in the first ever game to be held in the country which was announced a few weeks ago, and indeed, there's been some rumors circulating which mentions that possibility. However, it's unlikely that the league would force, or that the Fins would volunteer, a home game as next season, they have 8 home games and 9 away.

So, that leaves one of their opponents. It's unlikely that they'd force a team like the Bills and rob them of a home game against a divisional opponent, so they're most likely going to be looking for a non-conference opponent so as not to affect competitiveness. The Dolphins have 3 NFC road opponents next season, at Seattle, at LA Rams, and at an NFC North opponent.

That brings us to our Seahawks. We are one of the few teams to have never donated a home game to the international series while the Rams have already donated one, and we have 9 home games next season, one of which is against....you guessed it, the Miami Dolphins.

So there you have it. You heard it here first.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Lambeau had 3 bars/restaurants in the area. Walked around the exterior of the stadium when we were there to see what I could see. 2 bars on one side and one bar on the other packed pretty much for the game. We wandered to the Stadium View for a few pregames. And that was the closest. Getting in and out was a deep pain in the neck.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Hosting games in other Countries sucks. Why not just have an NFL 2. Let our guys stay home and play. If you want to get creative let the two winners of their respective Super Bowls play another for World Champion.
THIS.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand the international shit. Period. Disruptive and stupid.

You wanna build a league over there, build a separate league - oh wait, you tried that and it failed. Not extend the logistics so that the setup and teardown for the team to attend literally takes a full week, and a week to recover.

Shit, even with the ramrodding of evening games this year (3 of 4 for us in a row) - and I HATE evening games too.

Just want my normal football sundays back, without all these distractions.

Yayaya. Get off my lawn, I know. They don't care, and obviously there's too much $ on the table for the issue to go away - but

Count me out.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Autzen Stadium · Capacity
54,000, standing room to 60,000 (2002–present)
Former capacity:
List
    • 41,698 (1988–2001)
    • 41,097 (1969–1987)
    • 41,078 (1967–1968)