Experts are disrespecting the Hawks, again

toffee

Reaction score

FOX Sports: Predicted Seahawks record 7-10

Bleacher Report: Predicted Seahawks record 7-10
NFL.com: Predicted Seahawks record 9-8

Our poorly coached 2023 team with one of the worst defense finished 9-7, now we have the best XO genius as our head coach, a GM finally free of Pete's influences. A remarkable draft and Shouldn't these analysis know that our new HC is a mad scientist that are building walls?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
...and why shouldn't they? Hawks haven't been anything but mediocre the last several years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't see this as disrespectful. We've got an unproven, extremely green coaching staff and our roster, while having some extremely bright spots, also has some real holes in it. Extremely thin at LB and tons of unknowns on the OL.

If I were a national writer, I'd be foolhardy not to expect growing pains from a team with a rookie HC, rookie (at pro level) OC, rookie DC, and roster with question marks.

As much as this fanbase grew tired of Pete, you could bet on at least .500 with relative certainty. That safety net is gone, and most coaches simply don't bring that kind of floor to an organization.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm decently high on Mac and the coaching staff (with exception of Durde, who I have yet to form much of an opinion on) but... I mean, being realistic? I'm not expecting much more than .500, if that, in year 1. Success out of the gate like that just isn't something you can expect, especially as an outside observer with no skin in our game.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Say what you want about Macdonald. He still has to proof he’s deserving of any respect.

Denver thought Hackett was going to be good. Not exactly an even comparison but yet the same thing. He was great on one side somewhere else.

Personally, I believe he will do a great job and be successful.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Any OC or DC offered a HC position is considered one of the best around it is no guarantee of a star HC career.

Gus Bradley formed the LOB but couldn't do anything to improve the Jags when promoted to HC.

The bookies have us at 7.5 wins and that is based on what the betting public think which is pretty much in line with the media. There are still holes in our squad and we are yet to see how the coaching staff perfrm compared to the one's under Carrol. 8 or 9 wins would be my best prediction, 11 wins is possible but unlikely but we could also only get about 5.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I don't see this as disrespectful. We've got an unproven, extremely green coaching staff and our roster, while having some extremely bright spots, also has some real holes in it. Extremely thin at LB and tons of unknowns on the OL.

If I were a national writer, I'd be foolhardy not to expect growing pains from a team with a rookie HC, rookie (at pro level) OC, rookie DC, and roster with question marks.

As much as this fanbase grew tired of Pete, you could bet on at least .500 with relative certainty. That safety net is gone, and most coaches simply don't bring that kind of floor to an organization.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm decently high on Mac and the coaching staff (with exception of Durde, who I have yet to form much of an opinion on) but... I mean, being realistic? I'm not expecting much more than .500, if that, in year 1. Success out of the gate like that just isn't something you can expect, especially as an outside observer with no skin in our game.
This is pretty much where I'm at. No way is a 7-10 predicted record for a new head coach 'disrespectful.' There are a lot of very good football minds in our own fan base that are predicting a below .500 season.

Besides, who cares? What difference does it make? The truth be known, I've always preferred to go into a season with low expectations as it's a win-win for me personally. If we end up falling on our face, I won't be looking to jump out any windows because I halfway expected it, and if we win, the thrill of an unanticipated good season will cause me more enjoyment that if it were simply the fulfillment of an expectation.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
How is that disrespectful? They might be spot on. New coaching staff with a new philosophy,,,,,,,who knows yet?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I was about to get my pitchforks and torches ready....guess not.

I see you Cynthia Frelund! 😉

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh. Somewhere between 7 and 9 wins seems very realistic. Plus, I may be in the minority, but I WANT people to discount the Hawks and/or think they will suck.
Please do.

cymatica

Reaction score
That seems like a more respectable prediction than they've given the Hawks in the last few years

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
The disrespect arg comes up every year. Not one that I get too amped on. Perform on the field, respect will come. My view is until we do that, let whomever say what they want and let it go. If you're the type that enjoys that drama dopomine rush...go ahead and tap the vein.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I’m not sure why people expect greatness from a team that is made up of almost a completely new coaching staff and many player changes. Nobody really knows how Macdonald will die as a head coach. Not all great coordinators make great head coaches and the ones that do don’t always make the jump on their first try.

I’m as excited as anyone to see this team come together and am hopeful they do that quickly but I don’t expect a contender quite yet. Anywhere from 5-9 wins seems like safe predictions.

Personally I’ll hold off making mine until we get to see more reports from training camp and pre season.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Macdonald was the pick of the litter amongst all the HC hired this off season, he is the one Schneider waited and waited for.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The only critique that I would offer is that Schneider is quite hamstrung by the dalliances of the past. Whether those are on Pete, or on Schneider himself, I can’t say, but he is hamstrung.

I suspect that if they were on Scneider, he would already be gone, but I can’t definitively say.