Extend Marshawn Lynch

HawkerD

Reaction score
If he is in the NFL next year it will be with the hawks. After that...we'll have to wait and see. IMO, 24 is not like most RBs that fall off at 2000 carries. I am in agreement with Jerome Bettis who said that the great ones are good for 2800-3000 carries. It has to be apparent that 24 is of that rare breed. RB don't command the $$$ they once did so an extension is not out of the question.

Unless they draft a "ready to start" RB they need to stick with 24. Turbo is great as a change up back and C-Mike hasn't shown the ball control that is required for the job. Also, 24 is the heart AND soul of the team he is the original badass. Came in 2010 and has set the tone ever since. I love the guy and never want him to leave.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkWow":37ehrm9e said:
hawksfansinceday1":37ehrm9e said:
Rob12":37ehrm9e said:
........I don't see Okung returning, and if he does, it'll be a prove it deal......
Okung has one year left on his contract after this year at 7 mil. He's not going anywhere next year. Team friendly number for a LT.

HawkinInLA":37ehrm9e said:
.......being the only team to win 3 in a row.....
Just an FYI, it's true that no team has ever won 3 Super Bowls in a row, but the '65, '66 and '67 Packers did win 3 NFL championships in a row (and the first 2 Super Bowls). They remain the only team to have won 3 straight NFL championships.

Well maybe you should move to Wisconsin. (I'm confident you get the joke).

This Hawk team resembles those Packer teams in many ways and mobility aside, I could even offer a comparison between Starr and Russ. The Packer O line was unquestionably better than ours but "the sweep" aside, they played a very similar game to ours and I'm sure that is not coincidence.

But more than anything, the Packers were an all-star team but played to each other and as a single unit. No 2 units ever suffered at the same time. When the D was down, the O picked them up, when the O was down, ST and the D took over. The Hawks are turning into the same and we have seen this in them week after week. Seldom do we not play as a team and seldom do we not have at least 2 of the 3 phases picking up the 3rd (if necessary).

Last night our kicking game was on the fritz. BOOM...no worries, here comes the O and the D to the rescue. That Packer team litters the halls of Canton. We likely have a few HOFers on this team as well. We may not see the accolades the Packers got, but much of that was based on sentimentality, too. I think back to Marshawn's fumble against the Skins in 2012. You knew the second he fumbled we would win that game because the team was not going to let Marshawn wear that. With the exception of a few harvin moments, this team has not stopped playing for each other since that fumble in Washington. Homerism aside, I am certain we have everything in place for multiple super bowl wins. I can say that with confidence because I know more non-Hawk fans than I do Hawk fans. I don't know of anyone that feels we are not capable of becoming the next NFL dynasty.
The other thing with that is back then, players were basically drafted for life, and weren't eligble to be a FA until the drafting team released them. Generally that didn't happen until the player was virtually used up. It was easier to continue a dynasty under the old rules.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The FO has to make sure he wants to come back next season to begin with.. I really think if they repeat, he will strongly lean towards retiring.

If he wants to keep playing though, I'd absolutely give him a 1-year extension.. then look to draft a Todd Gurley to redshirt/prep him for the post Marshawn era.

irocdave

Reaction score
Man, Lynch is such a special player, the perfect back for this team. Hook him up with Gold Bond crotch dust for a couple extra bucks, dedicate a couple million in his revised base salary to his charity (contractually, would probably get a tax break) and give him a two year extension if he wants it. He says he is all about his charity so plow the money in to his charity.

Turbin looked good last night but he isn't Lynch.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I'm confused....we already have him signed to a $7 mil deal for next year, the final year of a multi-year deal he signed a while back. Why would we extend him? Makes no sense. He plays out this year, we win the Superb Owl, returns next year to play out his contract, we return to the Superb Owl for a 3-peat and then he retires.

Giblien

Reaction score
I love Marshawn, but from a business standpoint, I think PC/JS need to make his contract either Really short (like 2 years) or have his contract be HIGHLY incentivized. Not because I think he won't work hard or try, but he is just getting to that point in his career where RB's typically start to decline...and when they do, it is usually fast and painful. And if ANY RB has wear and tear on him in this league...it is Marshawn.

Gametime

Reaction score
Anybody catch Mike Rob's tweet right after the Quake II?

"Enjoy it while you can".

Made me sad to think about him not being on this team at some point. Makes you wonder if that tweet had anything to do with next season. M. Rob would know.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
seabowl":3a88r9uo said:
See Shawn Alexander 2006.

Marshawn has earned every penny he'll see in the future.
When people see him for the first time at a game, they are amazed.

It will be very easy to see a fall off with him.
I just can't imagine him running any other way.....

peppersjap

Reaction score
I would be shocked if Lynch plays anywhere else in his career because I highly doubt he plays more than 1 more year. i think they give him a little extra like this year and he honors his contract and retires as a Seahawk next year. I'm also good with what we have after that, I think Turbin and Michael leave us in way better shape than a lot of teams. It won't be long until we see "24" hanging from the rafters, he was the biggest helper to Carroll in turning this thing around. I was in a bar on Sunday night with about 15 people and my ears were hurting when he busted out that run! He is loved in Seattle more than he will ever know!

TwilightError

Reaction score
I think he should be extended for one more year. He is in the point of his career where his status really is "year by year" but I'd be willing to take a risk for paying him one year too many than to let him leave one year too early. He is that special.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would like to see them redo next years contract after this season with another bonus or bump, keep him happy, if there is a drop off we will still have depth and could utilize him in redzone situations. If he keeps it coming we will be in great shape once again.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Feed the beast! Seahawks still need him and he needs the Seahawks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1srhhjgl said:
I'm confused....we already have him signed to a $7 mil deal for next year, the final year of a multi-year deal he signed a while back. Why would we extend him? Makes no sense. He plays out this year, we win the Superb Owl, returns next year to play out his contract, we return to the Superb Owl for a 3-peat and then he retires.

^ This

We don't need to extend him. In fact, there is no benefit at all to extending him. His guaranteed money expires after this year with the restructure done this August. He is not underpaid currently nor is he going to warrant a future raise. So there is no value in spreading out future earnings over more years. The reasons for extending do not exist in Lynch's case.

Seattle doesn't need to do anything to ensure he plays here next year. The only reason to cut him would be if he were some kind of locker room cancer (which he'd be gone already if that were the case) or to use his salary to pay other offensive players. It doesn't appear that will be remotely necessary.

Seattle gets nothing if he is cut in 2015. If he plays out 2015 and signs elsewhere, that's a comp qualifier. So cutting him would have to make more than fiscal sense.

In essence, Lynch is playing on a pretty high end 'show me' contract for 2015. That's a perfect kind of deal for the club in terms of where Lynch is at age wise and injury wise. It would take strong external factors to warrant the club parting ways with Lynch. Earlier in this year, it appeared those factors existed. With the removal of Harvin's contract -- those factors don't exist anymore. With the large expansion of the cap those factors are even less prevalent now.

If you'd have asked me in August when we frontloaded all of Lynch's guarantees to 2014 -- I'd have said he's as good as gone. But everything changed the day we shipped off Harvin. And since then, it's become even easier for the club to keep his contract on the books.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think there is zero chance Lynch plays next year in the last year of his deal. It is a holdout/retire or extension situation. Seems a lot of people are convinced he is going to retire at 29. Why would you think that? You don't think this cat loves his money? Loves the game? Loves his teammates?

The question here is, whether or not you go three more years, around 18 million. Does that sound about right? I guess you could add another year after next year, that may do it, but I think he wants more.

He is going to be another ridiculously tough decision.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":6iqak9cs said:
I think there is zero chance Lynch plays next year in the last year of his deal. It is a holdout/retire or extension situation. Seems a lot of people are convinced he is going to retire at 29. Why would you think that? You don't think this cat loves his money? Loves the game? Loves his teammates?

The question here is, whether or not you go three more years, around 18 million. Does that sound about right? I guess you could add another year after next year, that may do it, but I think he wants more.

He is going to be another ridiculously tough decision.
I think he is smart about his age, he knows there isn't 4 year extension out there.

But a 2 year extension, that can be easily terminated after one? Lots of running backs with his miles have had deals like that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If Lynch plays beyond age 29, he MIGHT very well drop off.

If Seattle cuts him next year, their running game WILL drop off.

I've already kinda accepted that nobody in the next twenty years of the NFL will bring what Lynch brings. He's a generational talent. He's surpassing even what the O-line accomplishes for him. Seattle needs to ask what's the bigger risk: Lynch hitting the 30 cliff, or losing their identity as an offense.