Extend Marshawn Lynch

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2z2fn77m said:
Jazzhawk":2z2fn77m said:
I'm confused....we already have him signed to a $7 mil deal for next year, the final year of a multi-year deal he signed a while back. Why would we extend him? Makes no sense. He plays out this year, we win the Superb Owl, returns next year to play out his contract, we return to the Superb Owl for a 3-peat and then he retires.

^ This

We don't need to extend him. In fact, there is no benefit at all to extending him. His guaranteed money expires after this year with the restructure done this August. He is not underpaid currently nor is he going to warrant a future raise. So there is no value in spreading out future earnings over more years. The reasons for extending do not exist in Lynch's case..

If Lynch wants to play another 2-3 years, why would he come back for the last year of his contract without the guaranteed money of an extension?

Of course the FO would LOVE for him to play out the last year of his contract...........but that makes no sense if you're Lynch (unless he knows for sure he wants to retire after next year).

Tical21

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3fwzdtrm said:
Tical21":3fwzdtrm said:
I think there is zero chance Lynch plays next year in the last year of his deal. It is a holdout/retire or extension situation. Seems a lot of people are convinced he is going to retire at 29. Why would you think that? You don't think this cat loves his money? Loves the game? Loves his teammates?

The question here is, whether or not you go three more years, around 18 million. Does that sound about right? I guess you could add another year after next year, that may do it, but I think he wants more.

He is going to be another ridiculously tough decision.
I think he is smart about his age, he knows there isn't 4 year extension out there.

But a 2 year extension, that can be easily terminated after one? Lots of running backs with his miles have had deals like that.
Sorry, I didn't word that very well. I meant three years after this year, which would add two years onto his deal. I don't know that he does a "easily terminated after one year" kind of deal. I think that is what he has been trying to avoid.

Tical21

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":vysmipdb said:
If Lynch plays beyond age 29, he MIGHT very well drop off.

If Seattle cuts him next year, their running game WILL drop off.

I've already kinda accepted that nobody in the next twenty years of the NFL will bring what Lynch brings. He's a generational talent. He's surpassing even what the O-line accomplishes for him. Seattle needs to ask what's the bigger risk: Lynch hitting the 30 cliff, or losing their identity as an offense.
That's a pretty fair statement. Does the Lynch situation have more to do with the forecasting of Russell Wilson's career than it does that of Lynch himself?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Since most "regulars" are putting in their "2 cents" worth on the subject of Marshawn's plans for next year, may I give my prediction? I believe that Marshawn's contract does go through next year so it's possible that he plays one more year .....then retires. However, most players try to squeeze the Front Office for last dollar in the till. I'm thinking that his agent approaches John Schneider with a new proposal.....provided Marshawn does not get more seriously injured.

kearly

Reaction score
I love seeing the progress from Turbin and Michael this year, but neither one of those guys will ever be a RB who wears down teams. That crazy stat about teams losing nine straight games after facing the Seahawks, a ton of that is on Lynch. No other back in the league comes even close to wearing out a defense the way he does.

It is hard to figure Lynch. His back issue has flared up during games at least 3-4 times this season, and the fact that he's talked retirement is essentially a dead giveaway that he's been playing through pain the last couple years. But unlike Shaun, health issues have not slowed Lynch at all, in fact it seems like each year he is better and more athletic than he was the year before.

It is really hard for me to imagine Seattle cutting Lynch after Beastquake 2. That was a statement play in a statement game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":3gt44qnu said:
I love seeing the progress from Turbin and Michael this year, but neither one of those guys will ever be a RB who wears down teams. That crazy stat about teams losing nine straight games after facing the Seahawks, a ton of that is on Lynch. No other back in the league comes even close to wearing out a defense the way he does.

It is hard to figure Lynch. His back issue has flared up during games at least 3-4 times this season, and the fact that he's talked retirement is essentially a dead giveaway that he's been playing through pain the last couple years. But unlike Shaun, health issues have not slowed Lynch at all, in fact it seems like each year he is better and more athletic than he was the year before.

It is really hard for me to imagine Seattle cutting Lynch after Beastquake 2. That was a statement play in a statement game.

It's also hard to see Lynch being ready for retirement after Beastquake 2. He still plays with as much passion as ever he has.

Russell Wilson's antics probably grind to a halt once Lynch leaves. Right now, defenses aren't even able to stop Lynch by stacking eight in the box. That's doing wonders for Russell's opportunities.

Latest posts