Falcons Assistant to draft prospect: 'So do you like men?'

pehawk

Reaction score
I like to request candidates prove they're not homosexual. Usually involves winking and unbuckling of certain articles of clothing.

pehawk

Reaction score
Comedy does more to push our society than anything else, presently. Making light of things is not the same as being implicit in bigotry. So unmount from that high horse you're seated on, Darling. It's okay.

pehawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2fn4huo1 said:
pehawk":2fn4huo1 said:
Comedy does more to push our society than anything else, presently. Making light of things is not the same as being implicit in bigotry. So unmount from that high horse you're seated on, Darling. It's okay.

Intelligent comedy does, sure. When you come up with some of that, let me know, what you have done here is nothing more than thinly veiled attempts to antagonize.

As opposed to the stellar progression in the rest of the thread?

pehawk

Reaction score
I just like that this dude assumes were all straight.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Jokes are just an attempt to make people laugh. It's ridiculous to think that they hurt people or come at any sort of expense at all.

pehawk

Reaction score
Why would we not respond to the ridiculous with ridiculousness? What are we to say about this? Doesn't that actually give it more merit?

pehawk

Reaction score
Where did I make any statements on assumptions? Are you arguing with imaginary bigots, like people do on Twitter?

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd also make fun of someone who asks "You know Obama is a Muslim, right?" Treating stupidity on equal footing as sanity is insane.

Also, you do realize were talking about the NFL, right? The most socially archaic of professional leagues.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":ujmkfqi5 said:
peachesenregalia":ujmkfqi5 said:
If an interviewer - or anyone for that matter - asked me if I like men, I'd just say 'No', and then move on. Doesn't seem that difficult.

What if your answer was yes? Do you not see how that answer may impact your chance of getting that job?

Any number of legit questions can also eliminate you. Hell, most interviewers can tell quickly after looking at you if they actually want to hire you, so why even interview?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... nutes.html

pehawk

Reaction score
I literally chose not to pursue my dream job, one which I was heavily recruited for, because it was a biblical college. That was just this week. I knew not being Christian, and not living a Christian lifestyle, would automatically disqualify me.

So, if anything, I'm the real victim here.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3fb6bo1r said:
OkieHawk":3fb6bo1r said:
FlyHawksFly":3fb6bo1r said:
peachesenregalia":3fb6bo1r said:
If an interviewer - or anyone for that matter - asked me if I like men, I'd just say 'No', and then move on. Doesn't seem that difficult.

What if your answer was yes? Do you not see how that answer may impact your chance of getting that job?

Any number of legit questions can also eliminate you. Hell, most interviewers can tell quickly after looking at you if they actually want to hire you, so why even interview?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... nutes.html

Legit questions are just that, no? As for why even interview, because people need jobs to survive.

Sadly, you missed my point. If someone has a tattoo then roughly 3/4 of interviewers will automatically discount them without even needing to ask a question. Same thing with legit questions that are still disqualifiers to weed people you only ask certain people. This type of shit happens daily, which is why interviews for the most part are unnecessary.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2xjpiw6t said:
OkieHawk":2xjpiw6t said:
Sadly, you missed my point. If someone has a tattoo then roughly 3/4 of interviewers will automatically discount them without even needing to ask a question. Same thing with legit questions that are still disqualifiers to weed people you only ask certain people. This type of shit happens daily, which is why interviews for the most part are unnecessary.

Are you equating tattoos with someone's sexual identity? I think you are the one that missed the point. The day we get to pick our sexual preference, like we pick our tattoos, this might be a different conversation.

I'm saying discrimination happens no matter what we do. Try to be outraged more though, it suits you.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2vowhfmt said:
So, when discrimination happens, we should just sit on our hands? No thanks..

I think fender may be the only one who alluded to this. I'm merely saying it happens, and always will.

Also, what are you doing about this since it's seems to be such a hot topic for you. I'm not being dismissive, I'm honestly curious.

pehawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3bf8zook said:
FlyHawksFly":3bf8zook said:
So, when discrimination happens, we should just sit on our hands? No thanks..

I think fender may be the only one who alluded to this. I'm merely saying it happens, and always will.

Also, what are you doing about this since it's seems to be such a hot topic for you. I'm not being dismissive, I'm honestly (bi)curious.

FIFY

pehawk

Reaction score
How long did it take the NFL to accept black QB'S? Minority coaches? The NFL is a red state with the corporate morality of Walmart. If you're as old as you claim to be you surely understand that.

chris98251

Reaction score
The fact is we are a prejudicial society, we still have racism, we still judge people on sexual orientation, we still discriminate against sexes we discriminate against religious beliefs.

The courts and other agencies try to police this with fines a lawsuits, it depends on the position and the job how severely these prejudicial applications are used and where you are.

Some of you say that a decision is made when you walk in for a interview, I disagree, they screen with the Application, then with a cover letter, many times a person never even see's those two since it's done by a computer many times now and the would be applicant is dismissed from consideration based on words that are screened for.

If you get past that then you have either a personal or a phone interview. Here's the difference, a personal interview the first impression is your looks, dress and appearance, fact is attractive people get hired over those that are not as good looking, next is dress and hygiene, factor all that in and your typically dismissed before you even shake a hand which is also another qualifier, although the new thing is not to even shake hands I have been told.

Then you have the interview, if it's a higher end bigger company many use a personality profile test inclusive with the actual skill questions to try to eliminate or screen possible detrimental or problem people. It is still profiling no matter how you look at it, but as you see it gets harder to prove with computers doing part of the process.

Phone interviews use the same profiling, last one I had was with three people at the same time throwing a succession of questions at me, some about situations, some about me, some about the job I was applying for. Many questions had nothing to do with the job but were wild card to determine reaction and the answers were used to categorize me.

I got the job by the way, but understanding the game so to speak is also giving yourself a advantage.

Prejudice isn't as open and rampant as it used to be, but it is still very real on all levels, as a society we fool ourselves to say we have made huge gains, there have been gains granted but there is a lot of underling problems that we as a society have got much better at concealing with technology and the Politically Correct phrasing. When the generation I will call the Boomers dies out I think there will be a larger gain in all the aspects, the Boomer generation is the last one that really has the old mentality bred into them with their parents views. Sure that generation also pursued the open minded and acceptance as well but it takes a few generations to change the old mentality.

Remembering we are a race of animals that are hunters that have been bred to attack the weak and or different as a survival instinct of the species and that acceptance or not perceiving things as a threat takes time to breed out of our perception.

kearly

Reaction score
I am literally eating a big bowl of popcorn while catching up on this thread.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
chris98251":1n3yx9re said:
The fact is we are a prejudicial society, we still have racism, we still judge people on sexual orientation, we still discriminate against sexes we discriminate against religious beliefs.

The courts and other agencies try to police this with fines a lawsuits, it depends on the position and the job how severely these prejudicial applications are used and where you are.

Some of you say that a decision is made when you walk in for a interview, I disagree, they screen with the Application, then with a cover letter, many times a person never even see's those two since it's done by a computer many times now and the would be applicant is dismissed from consideration based on words that are screened for.

If you get past that then you have either a personal or a phone interview. Here's the difference, a personal interview the first impression is your looks, dress and appearance, fact is attractive people get hired over those that are not as good looking, next is dress and hygiene, factor all that in and your typically dismissed before you even shake a hand which is also another qualifier, although the new thing is not to even shake hands I have been told.

Then you have the interview, if it's a higher end bigger company many use a personality profile test inclusive with the actual skill questions to try to eliminate or screen possible detrimental or problem people. It is still profiling no matter how you look at it, but as you see it gets harder to prove with computers doing part of the process.

Phone interviews use the same profiling, last one I had was with three people at the same time throwing a succession of questions at me, some about situations, some about me, some about the job I was applying for. Many questions had nothing to do with the job but were wild card to determine reaction and the answers were used to categorize me.

I got the job by the way, but understanding the game so to speak is also giving yourself a advantage.

Prejudice isn't as open and rampant as it used to be, but it is still very real on all levels, as a society we fool ourselves to say we have made huge gains, there have been gains granted but there is a lot of underling problems that we as a society have got much better at concealing with technology and the Politically Correct phrasing. When the generation I will call the Boomers dies out I think there will be a larger gain in all the aspects, the Boomer generation is the last one that really has the old mentality bred into them with their parents views. Sure that generation also pursued the open minded and acceptance as well but it takes a few generations to change the old mentality.

Remembering we are a race of animals that are hunters that have been bred to attack the weak and or different as a survival instinct of the species and that acceptance or not perceiving things as a threat takes time to breed out of our perception.
I heart this post.

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":1tij3ly7 said:
When the generation I will call the Boomers dies out I think there will be a larger gain in all the aspects, the Boomer generation is the last one that really has the old mentality bred into them with their parents views. Sure that generation also pursued the open minded and acceptance as well but it takes a few generations to change the old mentality.

I agree, I think there will be a pretty big leap in about 20-30 years.

Currently it seems like society has hit an equilibrium point on social issues where factors like older generations dying off will likely move the needle more than anything else.