Falcons Assistant to draft prospect: 'So do you like men?'

mrt144

Reaction score
pehawk":2xpci5rj said:
How long did it take the NFL to accept black QB'S? Minority coaches? The NFL is a red state with the corporate morality of Walmart. If you're as old as you claim to be you surely understand that.

They still haven't?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
mrt144":qylyrmm1 said:
pehawk":qylyrmm1 said:
How long did it take the NFL to accept black QB'S? Minority coaches? The NFL is a red state with the corporate morality of Walmart. If you're as old as you claim to be you surely understand that.

They still haven't?

Not really, see Rooney Rule that forces them to interview minority coaches. I am not so disillusioned to believe they'd interview them without said rule. Hell, even with it how many minority head coaches are there again?

Jville

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":395zli5q said:
kearly":395zli5q said:
chris98251":395zli5q said:
When the generation I will call the Boomers dies out I think there will be a larger gain in all the aspects, the Boomer generation is the last one that really has the old mentality bred into them with their parents views. Sure that generation also pursued the open minded and acceptance as well but it takes a few generations to change the old mentality.

I agree, I think there will be a pretty big leap in about 20-30 years.

Currently it seems like society has hit an equilibrium point on social issues where factors like older generations dying off will likely move the needle more than anything else.

I read an article a few years back about social epochs happening every couple of generations or so. Pretty interesting stuff.

Its dialogue such as this that invoke memories of a Les Norton quote .... "be careful what you wish for".

As my generation fades away, the blame game laid at the feet of your parents and your grandparents will fall on deaf ears. You may anticipated and hope for a big leap. But who, outside of the arrogant, would dare presume a can't miss social direction for the better? Indeed, who is to say that those of you left behind don't end up eating each other? "Be careful what you wish for" :141847_bnono:

massari

Reaction score
I wouldn't want a gay guy playing for the Seahawks simply because of the Michael Sam esque distraction it'd create if anyone found out.

Also, even though most players say it wouldn't affect them having a gay teammate, most are probably just blowing smoke and would feel uncomfortable in the locker room/showers ect.

It's understandable why an interviewer would ask this question. Not worth it drafting a gay player imo.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":1toy1pg3 said:
I wouldn't want a gay guy playing for the Seahawks simply because of the Michael Sam esque distraction it'd create if anyone found out.

Also, even though most players say it wouldn't affect them having a gay teammate, most are probably just blowing smoke and would feel uncomfortable in the locker room/showers ect.

It's understandable why an interviewer would ask this question. Not worth it drafting a gay player imo.

I'd suggest the world has changed in a way you're probably not aware.

But to each his own.

The interviewer did not ask the question because of concerns over the locker room. He asked it specifically to rattle the player. We hear examples of it every single year.

Largent80

Reaction score
I was born in the baby boomer years and while my parents taught us manners and other useful things, the last thing I do is to think in an "old" mentality.

The question was simply to get a reaction from the dude.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
The fact that most everyone is totally OK with this line of questioning is really messed up to me. This was not a question to see whether or not some young kid was rattled; if there were suspicions regarding his sexual preference, then this question was to determine whether those suspicions were true or not.

Unless I'm missing the part where the Falcons' asked this in every interview. Barring that it's blatant discrimination and there's a reason why there's a law against discriminating based on sexual preference.

Also saying that you wouldn't want a gay player on the Seahawks is completely ignorant because statistically speaking there are likely multiple.

One day everyone will be fine with this and look back and struggle to see why anyone cared. This thread is testament to how much further we have to go to reach that day however and I find it sad.

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2z1hthvw said:
massari":2z1hthvw said:

But to each his own.

The interviewer did not ask the question because of concerns over the locker room. He asked it specifically to rattle the player. We hear examples of it every single year.
I'm 15, I don't think much has changed about people's opinions towards gay people since I was born. Unless I'm more ignorant than I thought. You don't think the media would make a big deal out of a gay football player, causing it to be a distraction?

To each his own.

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":2ykeioza said:
Uncle Si":2ykeioza said:
massari":2ykeioza said:

But to each his own.

I'm 15, I don't think much has changed about people's opinions towards gay people since I was born. Unless I'm more ignorant than I thought. You don't think the media would make a big deal out of a gay football player, causing it to be a distraction?

To each his own.

If your 15 then you missed the mindset of open opinions and comments concerning gays and racism, and women for that matter that was pretty rampant in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid, it's covered by the PC aspect now. things have changed, that's not saying we don't have issues but there is more tolerance whether forced, litigated or evolved.

Mixed race couples were looked down on, you were brave to date someone of another race whether it was physical violence or being made an example of in other ways, being written out of wills and disowned etc, gay people were in fear of physical violence or being heavily chastised for their preference and openly.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":3er4bh2f said:

To each his own.

That was confidently snarky for a high schooler. I do think the world has changed quite a bit. It will also gain some perspective as you get older. But in general, gay marriages are now legal and unisex bathrooms are prevalent in many high schools, corporations and other public buildings, for starters. All of this in the last 10 years. Public acceptance has been slowly coming for the last 30 years. Honestly these examples could be listed by the dozens.

To answer your question simply: no, i do not think the media will make enough of a big deal about the first openly gay football player to cause it to be a distraction. I imagine there will be a storm of interest, some follow up, and the world will turn its attention to actual football in no time. Will it rear up occasionally? sure, as it did with (start naming the "first" of anything).

Do you pass on the next Jackie Robinson because he's a distraction?

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":380fcroi said:
massari":380fcroi said:

To each his own.

That was confidently snarky for a high schooler. I do think the world has changed quite a bit. It will also gain some perspective as you get older. But in general, gay marriages are now legal and unisex bathrooms are prevalent in many high schools, corporations and other public buildings, for starters. All of this in the last 10 years. Public acceptance has been slowly coming for the last 30 years. Honestly these examples could be listed by the dozens.

To answer your question simply: no, i do not think the media will make enough of a big deal about the first openly gay football player to cause it to be a distraction. I imagine there will be a storm of interest, some follow up, and the world will turn its attention to actual football in no time. Will it rear up occasionally? sure, as it did with (start naming the "first" of anything).

Do you pass on the next Jackie Robinson because he's a distraction?
I meant that in a way of how gay people are looked at, not necessarily laws, bathrooms ect.

I guess getting an elite talent who's near the top like a Ronaldo would make me consider taking a risk on the extra baggage.

MKwgsia

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Right, so changes in laws would not be reflective of "how gay people are looked at." You are showing yourself to be quite the enlightened young man.

Good luck to you

kearly

Reaction score
Jville":1y5ssur1 said:
Its dialogue such as this that invoke memories of a Les Norton quote .... "be careful what you wish for".

As my generation fades away, the blame game laid at the feet of your parents and your grandparents will fall on deaf ears. You may anticipated and hope for a big leap. But who, outside of the arrogant, would dare presume a can't miss social direction for the better? Indeed, who is to say that those of you left behind don't end up eating each other? "Be careful what you wish for" :141847_bnono:

I'm a millennial who hates millennials. I think we are whiny and entitled and narcissistic. But far worse than all those things, we are a bland generation who like bland music, bland games, bland movies, and (inherently bland) social media. It's like my generation is forever stuck in high school, trying to fit in with the cool crowd and being terrified of judgement or shaming. The herd mentality feels far more suffocating today than it did even just ten years ago.

I look forward to living in a more progressive society when I am older, but that doesn't mean I won't miss the older generations when they are gone.

kearly

Reaction score
massari":3kczac74 said:
I meant that in a way of how gay people are looked at, not necessarily laws, bathrooms ect.

I guess getting an elite talent who's near the top like a Ronaldo would make me consider taking a risk on the extra baggage.

Closetdoor2

In fairness, Ronaldo has fathered a son and has had a string of supermodel girlfriends, so it would be more accurate to say he's (bi)curious at most. Society tends to view bi-sexuals differently than homosexuals so I'm guessing that changes the equation a bit.

That said I agree with the point you are trying to make. Throughout history the people who broke through cultural barriers, whether it was Jackie Robinson or Joan of Arc, were exceptional individuals with obvious and invaluable talents. A CFL caliber player like Michael Sam was quickly dismissed and will leave no legacy on the NFL, yet an openly gay Aaron Rodgers or JJ Watt would be able to break through easily and begin the process of real culture change.

(Nice mod edit btw :D )

massari

Reaction score
Uncle Si":26535pi4 said:
Right, so changes in laws would not be reflective of "how gay people are looked at." You are showing yourself to be quite the enlightened young man.

Good luck to you
Same-sex marriage has been legal nationwide since June 26, 2015. So you're saying on June 25, 2015, society looked at gay people differently than the next day or today?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
massari":cznl5pwj said:
Uncle Si":cznl5pwj said:

Good luck to you
Same-sex marriage has been legal nationwide since June 26, 2015. So you're saying on June 25, 2015, society looked at gay people differently than the next day or today?

Bless...

Do you think when legislation was passed specifically on that day... everyone just woke up and said... "sure, gay marriage is fine...now"

Maybe hit a Civics class and learn how laws are made.