Fanbase Research Project; Everyone please chime in!

VB Hawk

Reaction score
From Melbourne Australia

1 - Seahawks, 1983 AFC Champ.Game was the first NFL game I ever watched, liked the "underdogs".

2 - I liked the old uniforms, loved last year having the best DEF in the NFL.

3 - Nup

4 - Keep the updated logo but return to original uniforms

5 - Direhard. NEVER miss watching/listening to a game. Games can start at 3:00am here. Havent missed one in over 15 years. Have travelled to Seattle 5 times now with only sole purpose to watch Seahawks ( I hope the Australian Tax office dosn't read this...)

6 - Russell Wilson - From the first practice game he played v. the Titans....wow, we are so lucky.

7 - It usually creates such fantasic bonding between family and friends.

8 Always feel great for 48 hours after a win, not the greatest human on the planet after a loss.

RiverDog

Reaction score
PantherPride95":3nwo9gzu said:
I'm conducting a research project for my college writing class where I have to collect raw data and then piece it together in order to show a correlation with "identity." Each class member was able to choose any subject that related to how people identify themselves or how identities are shaped through associations, places, life events, etc. The topic I chose was how Americans identify with professional football teams.

The purpose of this post is to ask you all to answer some or all of the questions below so that I can gather some generalized information to use in this paper. Any answers given may be used in my paper along with your forum name. If you do not wish for your answers to be public, please message me privately so I can still use your data while keeping you anonymous.

You do not have to answer all of them if you don't want to, but the more the better.
Questions:

*Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.*

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team?

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team?

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate)

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)?

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans?

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for?

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football?

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how?

----------------------------------

On the questions you choose to answer, please elaborate as much as you can.

Once the project is finished, I will post a link to it so you all can view the final result. Thank you all for the help.

Southeastern Washington state

Seattle Seahawks (duh). Prior to 1976, I was a fan of various teams, including the 49'ers, Cowboys, Chiefs, and Dolphins. Local affiliation drove me to become a Seahawks fan.

I don't really have a 'favorite thing' about my team. There has never been an occasion where I "went against my team for reasons of morality.

There's nothing substantial I'd change about my team.

My favorite player is Russell Wilson because he's a Seahawk, he's decent guy, great work ethic, and a helluva athlete.

IMO the #1 reason most Americans like NFL football can be summed up in one word: Parity. It is the most evenly balanced league in professional sports as far as giving each team an equal opportunity to succeed on the field.

I plan a lot of my activities around football season, won't allow my wife to commit me to something when I know the Hawks are playing, request specific work schedules at my place of employment that will make it easier to watch football games.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
razgriz737":ane2sl0i said:
4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)?

I wish our organization didn't like the song "Bittersweet Symphony" so much. Kinda lame in my opinion.

Yuck. Awful song and so inappropriate as a track to fire up the crowd. I would have thought something like Big Takeover by Bad Brains would be infinitely better. Or something from Seattle, perhaps. Last time I checked there was a decent selection of local music, no? Even something fairly terrible like Band of Horses would be better than the effing Verve.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RiverDog":lhhtsu59 said:
............IMO the #1 reason most Americans like NFL football can be summed up in one word: Parity. It is the most evenly balanced league in professional sports as far as giving each team an equal opportunity to succeed on the field...........
VERY good point!

ZagHawk

Reaction score
1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team?
- Seahawks. Moved to Seattle in 2005, went to my first NFL game a few years later at Clink/Qwest, LOVED the fan base and the stadium experience. I lived in Guam growing up, so as a kid I bandwagonned on whoever won the SB that year which included Raiders, Cowboys and Niners in the 90s. But honestly I didn't even watch football back then outside of the SB, I was a basketball kid basically from 83 to about 2007.

- The "attitude" the Hawks were showing in 2012-2013. Not so much right now. But they have this aura of bigger, faster, stronger, louder and they proved it on the field. So much just swagger that our defense and physicality is just beyond any other team.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate)
- Just upset when Richard Sherman says something that gives the team a black eye. When I sit in the stands, we're not playing well and a fan yell's 43-8 or something and it just seems petty.

- Get rid of the "12th Man" and just call us "12s" or an entirely different name so we can end this Texas A&M crap. Impossible to do now, but wish there was a big parking lot surrounding Century link for actual tail gating surrounding the stadium.

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans?
- Hardcore and borderline Fair Weather

Definitions:
Hardcore - You watch the games, you read articles, you discuss it, you listen to sports radio, wear a lot of stuff, etc. etc.

Diehard - same as above, but you wear nothing but Seahawks gear all day every day, you may possibly get in a fight with someone trying to defend your team's honor. You also most likely dress like Mr and Mrs. Seahawk at games.

Fair Weather - You're a fan but mostly when the team is doing well. If the team is doing bad, you're still a fan, but you spend most of your time griping about how bad they are doing and will say things like "they lost again?!?....big surprise /sarcasm this isn't going to win a championship ever...".

Bandwagonner - Difference between this fan and a fair weather fan is, when the team does bad. This fan just stops watching or caring period. Hell this fan only showed up when the team was already in the playoffs or NFCCG or even SB. If you were buying your first Seahawks jersey in February to wear to a SB party and you claim to be a seahawks fan and your reasons that this was your FIRST seahawks jersey were not legitimate (you didn't have money before, maybe some weird superstition) you're a bandwagonner. At the same time if you just stop watching Seahawk football all together if we become mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, bandwagonner. Fair Weather fans hate lack of success, but still watch the games.

Casual - You watch games probably at home, you talk it when its brought up. You probably don't read too many articles outside of ESPN.com, you definitely don't listen to sports radio, and you're not using any of your time going to training camps, signing events, etc. You're knowledgable on football, and you do follow the hawks, but yeah you're not DIEHARD or Hardcore.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for?
Bobby Wagner, he was drafted somewhat quietly vs other guys on our team. But he's definitely probowl caliber. Fast, strong, hits hard. Does his work, modest. Likes Ninja Turtles. He helps build the team attitude I like.

It's got the perfect pace and meaning/value to it's scoring. Every play is meaningful because you never know when there will be a big pass, run, interception that can lead to a score. The scores are meaningful because football is low scoring vs say basketball where 2-3 pts doesn't mean much in a 100 pt game. But it is also more plentiful than say soccer or baseball where you can literally sit for 3-4 hours to watch a game go 1-0 or heck 0-0 in some cases. Also unlike basketball and baseball (and soccer to a lesser extent) hits are a big part of the game. We love to watch hits.

Immediately before/after game time. I'll admit my mood will be nervous before a big game. and excited after a big win or somewhat more demoralized/muted/sad/angry after a big loss. I also spend more time and money on Seahawks football than I probably should given I own so much Seahawks stuff, go to autograph sessions that cost ridiculous money, and being a STH doesnt help either.

Your research on this site will be skewed. Because if you're on a forum, especially posting in one. You're already a diehard fan at the bare minimum.

OP
OP
P

PantherPride95

Reaction score
You folks are awesome. I have some really good information now, but keep them coming. Like I said, I'll post a link to the final result once it is complete. It should be done in a few weeks.

OP
OP
P

PantherPride95

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3sbwjd3s said:
- Seahawks. Moved to Seattle in 2005, went to my first NFL game a few years later at Clink/Qwest, LOVED the fan base and the stadium experience. I lived in Guam growing up, so as a kid I bandwagonned on whoever won the SB that year which included Raiders, Cowboys and Niners in the 90s. But honestly I didn't even watch football back then outside of the SB, I was a basketball kid basically from 83 to about 2007.

- The "attitude" the Hawks were showing in 2012-2013. Not so much right now. But they have this aura of bigger, faster, stronger, louder and they proved it on the field. So much just swagger that our defense and physicality is just beyond any other team.

- Just upset when Richard Sherman says something that gives the team a black eye. When I sit in the stands, we're not playing well and a fan yell's 43-8 or something and it just seems petty.

- Get rid of the "12th Man" and just call us "12s" or an entirely different name so we can end this Texas A&M crap. Impossible to do now, but wish there was a big parking lot surrounding Century link for actual tail gating surrounding the stadium.

- Hardcore and borderline Fair Weather

Definitions:
Hardcore - You watch the games, you read articles, you discuss it, you listen to sports radio, wear a lot of stuff, etc. etc.

Diehard - same as above, but you wear nothing but Seahawks gear all day every day, you may possibly get in a fight with someone trying to defend your team's honor. You also most likely dress like Mr and Mrs. Seahawk at games.

Fair Weather - You're a fan but mostly when the team is doing well. If the team is doing bad, you're still a fan, but you spend most of your time griping about how bad they are doing and will say things like "they lost again?!?....big surprise /sarcasm this isn't going to win a championship ever...".

Bandwagonner - Difference between this fan and a fair weather fan is, when the team does bad. This fan just stops watching or caring period. Hell this fan only showed up when the team was already in the playoffs or NFCCG or even SB. If you were buying your first Seahawks jersey in February to wear to a SB party and you claim to be a seahawks fan and your reasons that this was your FIRST seahawks jersey were not legitimate (you didn't have money before, maybe some weird superstition) you're a bandwagonner. At the same time if you just stop watching Seahawk football all together if we become mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, bandwagonner. Fair Weather fans hate lack of success, but still watch the games.

Casual - You watch games probably at home, you talk it when its brought up. You probably don't read too many articles outside of ESPN.com, you definitely don't listen to sports radio, and you're not using any of your time going to training camps, signing events, etc. You're knowledgable on football, and you do follow the hawks, but yeah you're not DIEHARD or Hardcore.

Bobby Wagner, he was drafted somewhat quietly vs other guys on our team. But he's definitely probowl caliber. Fast, strong, hits hard. Does his work, modest. Likes Ninja Turtles. He helps build the team attitude I like.

It's got the perfect pace and meaning/value to it's scoring. Every play is meaningful because you never know when there will be a big pass, run, interception that can lead to a score. The scores are meaningful because football is low scoring vs say basketball where 2-3 pts doesn't mean much in a 100 pt game. But it is also more plentiful than say soccer or baseball where you can literally sit for 3-4 hours to watch a game go 1-0 or heck 0-0 in some cases. Also unlike basketball and baseball (and soccer to a lesser extent) hits are a big part of the game. We love to watch hits.

Immediately before/after game time. I'll admit my mood will be nervous before a big game. and excited after a big win or somewhat more demoralized/muted/sad/angry after a big loss. I also spend more time and money on Seahawks football than I probably should given I own so much Seahawks stuff, go to autograph sessions that cost ridiculous money, and being a STH doesnt help either.

Your research on this site will be skewed. Because if you're on a forum, especially posting in one. You're already a diehard fan at the bare minimum.

Awesome post, and yes it will be slightly skewed but I've already taken steps to adjust. You guys rock. (not your team..just your fans hahaha)

seahawks187

Reaction score
I live in Denver, CO but I was born and raised in Bellingham, WA

Seahawks. When I went to my first game in the kingdome.. my family were all seahawk fans.. I was always a fan of football but never of another team.

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? that the are my team and I've stuck by them through whateve happens during the seasons.

nope

nothing really.. they are what they are

I'm definitely a one of a kind diehard fan.. I believe it's all about how much you put into your team.. some people pour money or whateve into it but to me it's all about emotion.. a fair weather / bandwagon or even just a casual fan losses don't effect them.. if my team loses a tough game it's going to effect my next week because I'm just so emotionally invested.. u realize how big of a fan you really are and how much uve put into your team over the years when your team reaches that pinochle and whateve feeling u get.. that feeling doesn't lie.. some people it's just in the moment joy and happiness.. but I believe those real hardcore diehard fans snuck off into a room by themseleves and either cried or yelled and just let out a hurricane of emotion.

currently my favorite football player is kam chancellor.. because he is mostly silent but plays so loud.. he lays his body on the line for my team and I am grateful for that.. I love defense and I love players that show that they care out there.. if they lose I want it to matter as much to them as it does to me

I think a lot of it is generational.. although i think a lot of loyalty to teams id dying with the new generation of fans.. people are all into fantasy football or the best players etc .. it is what it is tho i stay in my lane and only worry about my own fan hood.

I try not to let it.. I more so just want the best for my team.. I just want them to play hard with passion like they give a damn.. if they play like they dont care or whateve.. that's the only time I really just loose my mind

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Where do you live? WA

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? What made you become a fan? Were you ever a fan of another team? Seahawks. I was young when they were created. I was not a fan of another football team but grew up in a household that hated the Cowboys.

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? Love the current ownership, how they have changed the franchise for the positive.

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) I went against Ken Behring (owner at the time) when he wanted to move the team south and had the trucks packed up.

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? The mascot changes this year needs to be changed.

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? Somewhere between Diehard and Casual. Fairweather and Bandwagon fans jump on and off, changing what teams they root for. I don't. There are just years where I spend more time watching football than others.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for? I loved watching Kenny Easley play. He was so aggressive as a safety it made the game fun to watch. I feel the same now for Kam and Earl.

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? I think Americans are so interested in football because each week, only 1 game is played and it matters. The season has so few games that people emotionally invest more in each since they know there won't be another for a week. If a team loses a baseball or basketball game for instance, well, there is another tomorrow so it isn't as big of a deal.

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how? I don't think it impacts my personal life negatively, but when things are going really well I am more apt to watch the game at a friends house or have a beer at a bar as opposed to watching the game at home. So, in that way, it could effect it.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Washington :Seahawks: 1983

Hated Jeremy Stevens and Koren Robinson

Favorite current player is Wilson. All time Largent

Americans love football because we love big fancy shiny things with a dash of violence, intrigue and naughty

Im hardcore no doubt, im ridiculous. I read articles. Check stats. Read entire game threads of opponents message boards. And talk about the hawks/nfl all day with anyone i see, at work, in the drive through, to the cop pulling me over.. Im well versed in Hawks history and have forgotten more than most people on here know. Yes, even with their 25000 posts. I dont post as much because im spread too thin!

Last one i care to talk about. Yes, it affects my personal life, i am not a bad guy. I work a high end retail job and am prominent amongst some of the more wealthy in society. And when the Hawks, im not good. I put on a smile, i laugh it off, but i get severely annoyed , constantly going over plays, missed calls, turnovers etc. I avoid media for several days after a loss...

But when we win, i can do anything! Ive ended a hellacious marriage after a hawks win, quit jobs that sucked, took abrupt vacations..

When the Hawks are playing I do not

Work, go to weddings, funerals, birthday parties.. Sorry, die on your own time and i will burry you when the time is right. I have 3 kids and a large extended family and they dont schedule anything on sundays.

I know im overly fanatical, its the only thing im like this about and for me it became this way when i was a kid and the Hawks didnt have respect because they were new, hadnt made the playoffs and when they did and still didnt get respect i was intensely bothered. Over the years, as im closing in on 40 some of that has died down a tad but its still there.

mikeak

Reaction score
You do not have to answer all of them if you don't want to, but the more the better.
Questions:

*Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.* - Alaska

Seattle Seahawks. I moved to Seattle after college at NC State. Koren Robinson had been drafted the year before, season tickets were cheap and I became hooked. I am from a different country so didn't have a favorite team before. I liked the Panthers who is the team that I saw first live (against NO the game in which Kerry Collins sat on the sidelines for NO after having been cut by the Panthers the week before - lots of fun turnovers in that game)

Right now it is that somehow so many players that went to NC State are on it

Not for Seahawks. I am also a fan of Dallas Mavericks in the NBA. Mainly because I respect and admire what Mark Cuban has done and I have interacted with him a few times over the years. I tuned them out while the wife beater Jason Kidd was there which unfortunately is when they finally won their championship..... rather them than Miami but I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have without Kidd

20,000 more seats to the stadium :)

Pretty hardcore but I don't study every player and position on the team. I have stuck with them since I became a fan in good and bad. Personally the only kind of fan I dislike is the one that jumps from team to team and claim they are a fan. I don't care about all the "bandwagon fans" that goes away in bad years and come back as long as they didn't adopt a different team in between.

Russel Wilson and Philip Rivers - saw them play every game in college and yes it makes for a deeper feeling of wanting to win when you root for them

What is there not to like?

Beyond a few minutes of being irritated I would say no. It did much more when I was younger when I would get in a serious bad mood. I think I don't let it get me as "high" any longer so the dip down isn't as low. It isn't worth it - I have a family and three little kids. At the end of the day that is what really matters

mikeak

Reaction score
kaygojinghi":2qbviyqr said:
7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? We play it as youngsters and the love for the game is developed then.

This almost deserves its own topic somewhere else. If that reason is the true reason then will the interest fade as fewer kids play it in high schools due to concussion concerns or will the concerns die away because of the interest being so rooted.....

Panther - write a project about that next please :D

Donn2390

Reaction score
PantherPride95":bp8yk22e said:
I'm conducting a research project for my college writing class where I have to collect raw data and then piece it together in order to show a correlation with "identity." Each class member was able to choose any subject that related to how people identify themselves or how identities are shaped through associations, places, life events, etc. The topic I chose was how Americans identify with professional football teams.

The purpose of this post is to ask you all to answer some or all of the questions below so that I can gather some generalized information to use in this paper. Any answers given may be used in my paper along with your forum name. If you do not wish for your answers to be public, please message me privately so I can still use your data while keeping you anonymous.

Questions:

Southern California

Favorite team, Seahawks. I'm a forever USC fan who followed Pete up here. Was a Rams season ticket holder all the years they were in Anaheim and a few when they were in LA. After Georgia stabbed us in the back, I would love to see them lose every game

Nothing special jumps out at me, I like everything about the team, the coaches, the owner, the 12s.

Have never gone against the team, I try to avoid the politics
Can't think of anything I would change other than putting me in a seat at Clink. I've never been to Seattle

I was hard core when I was a Rams season ticket holder. After getting burned by them I try not to get involved to the point negatives, trades, loses, etc., bother me so much it effects my life.

I have to go with RW. It's refreshing to see some one not only tremendously talented, but with all of his other attributes off the field. The guy is too good to be true. There could be some skeletons hidden away, but I doubt it..

It would take me many paragraphs to answer this, so I won't. Everybody loves football.

It used to so I make a effort not to let it. When we suffer a lost, I don't dwell on it and make every effort to put it out of my mind. I don't have a million dollar contract depending on the outcome, I'll let the guys that do worry about the failures.

Once the project is finished, I will post a link to it so you all can view the final result. Thank you all for the help.

CityHawk

Reaction score
PantherPride95":1gdw02p4 said:

Questions:

Washington, DC

Seattle Seahawks. Watching Seahawks/Dolphins '83 playoff game. Loved watching Krieg and Largent. Grew up in south central PA so I had a lot of options; Eagles, Colts, Steelers, and the Washington Football Team. My brother and Dad were Colts fans so I was marginally interested in them but growing up I was more into college football so I didn't start following NFL football until '83.

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? The city and the fan base

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) Nope

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? Nothing really

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? Diehard. Hardcore takes the game too seriously, diehard will support and watch the team no matter how good they are, fair weather will only show up when they are doing well or when they have a favorite player on the team, and bandwagon only shows up when the team is successful and then disappears when they decline.

6. Who is your favorite football player? What makes him your favorite? How does this impact what team you root for? Matt Hasselbeck. He played with heart and determination. Was/is a real leader in the organization and has a great sense of humor. Also seems very humble and involved in the community.

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? Exciting and has a time limit. There is a l lot of hype around it and it occurs at a good time of year.

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? If so, how? It use to but not anymore. Bottom line is it's just a form of entertainment and there are much bigger issues in my life and the worlld then whether or not the Seahawks win. I will admit that since they own the SB last year that feeling is much easier to follow

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
*Where do you live? NC, VA, CA etc.* - Tacoma WA

1. Who is your favorite NFL team? Seahawks of course - What made you become a fan? Born here and parents were fans became fans when they became an NFL Team in 76 - Were you ever a fan of another team? No, just players

2. What is your favorite thing about your favorite team? Here is just a few - currently our front office, players, always compete

3. Has there been a time you've gone against your team for morality reasons? Explain. (i.e. situations like Greg Hardy, Ray Rice, Bounty Gate) Not that I can think of

4. What would you like to change about your team (besides players/coaches/owners etc)? Nothing!!!!

5. What kind of fan are you? Hardcore/Diehard/Fair Weather/Bandwagon etc. What are the differences in these types of fans? Hardcore is the person that watches every game on the TV/stadium and has Jerseys that has been bought throughout the years. Diehard is a hardcore fan plus season ticket holder and goes to every game rain or shine. Fair weather is just around when times are good. Bandwagon joins the team that is good at the moment in time

6. Who is your favorite football player? Wilson at present time. What makes him your favorite? who else would you want for the face of your franchise??? How does this impact what team you root for? I don't cheer for a dirtbag

7. Why do you think Americans are so interested in football? The thrill of the game

8. Does your teams performance ever effect your personal life? yes, the days the Seahawks play I don't get anything done.... If so, how?

renofox

Reaction score
Reno, NV

1. Seahawks. Lived in Seattle when they came into the league - was 16 years old and my father got free season tickets from his employer. Before Seahawks I was a Raider fan.

2. Even when outclassed, the Seahawks are always entertaining and put up a fight.

3. Not that I can recall.

4. I wish they'd move to Reno since I've retired here. :twisted:

5. Diehard fan - still attend at least 4-6 games/year. I don't engage in classification of others fandom.

6. Favorite past player is Kenny Easley because 1) he was one of the greatest to ever play the game, and 2) because I also played SS from Pop Warner through college.

Favorite current player is Russell Wilson because he was able to prove the doubters wrong (I'm still pissed that I was unable to do so) and performs at an insanely high level without the "measureables" that scouts focus on.

Being an admirer of such outstanding players allows me to relish the past accomplishments, present performances, and future possibilities of the team I support.

7. Football is the ultimate team sport. 11 players must act perfectly in unison at peak athletic performance to accomplish their mission.

8. In the past, my mood was highly affected for several days by the results of games. Now I am very emotionally involved during the game but I can let go of losses almost immediately.