Favourite announcing crews

crucifyd

Reaction score
chris98251":2e3eso6o said:
Pete Gross still, and nobody is even close.
this...

although Raible is great
however...can't stand MOON...
I would like to hear maybe Raible/Huard, Raible/Wyman or Raible/just about anybody except MOON

Tical21":2e3eso6o said:
Al Michaels. I miss Madden terribly.
this 2

The Outfield

Reaction score
I like John Gruden, Chris Collinsworth, Al Michaels, and Mike Mayock. The Fox guys are abysmal.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I expect to see at least one thread complaining about how "biased" Eagle and Fouts are during the game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Erebus":27l5avsw said:
The Bird and The Beard are a CBS crew. Seahawks and Panthers are both NFC, which means it will be on Fox. So why would they announcing our game?
Game was switched to CBS this week as has been discussed a lot on these boards.

Add Gruden to color guys I like.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen

Takes me back to my youth. What a pair...

The only thing better was the tone of Vin Sculley on a Saturday morning.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rjdriver":1878p85d said:
Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen

Takes me back to my youth. What a pair...

The only thing better was the tone of Vin Sculley on a Saturday morning.
When it comes to baseball announcers in my lifetime (I'm 58), there's Vin Scully and then there's everyone else.

pehawk

Reaction score
Colabro is the best I've ever heard, any sport, ever. He called a good game, with brilliantly dry wit. Awesome.

My question is why are we getting a CBS crew? I noticed Moose and Goose crew did Pats v Bills two weeks ago. Part of the new TV deal?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":1oo8te6o said:
Colabro is the best I've ever heard, any sport, ever. He called a good game, with brilliantly dry wit. Awesome.

My question is why are we getting a CBS crew? I noticed Moose and Goose crew did Pats v Bills two weeks ago. Part of the new TV deal?
I think so Pe. Moving games around to maximize ratings I believe.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like Mayock for the most part, but he talks draft during broadcasts a bit too much for me.

Otherwise, mute button for me. Though. occasionally, I synch up the radio broadcast of the opposing team on Sirius so I can have a good laugh.

Bad TV announcers don't hold a candle to bad radio guys. The Indy home crew is by far the worst in the NFL. They have this whiny old guy who damn near bursts into tears every time Luck gets hit, it is awesomely bad radio. It is almost like MST 3000 for football nerds.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3k2sfh1o said:
Not even close.............Mayock and Nesler.

Last year I petitioned the league to genetically clone these two so that they could do every game in every city on every network. All I got back was a restraining order. wtf.
This. Mayock rocks!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pehawk":2xfg5mcd said:

KC is and has been the best announcer in the NBA for a long time now. He and MJ were pure gold together.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Of the national guys, agree with others on Mayock. I also like Kevin Harlan.

Mostly though, I just wanted to post in this thread to note that Buck ruins *every single broadcast* in which he takes part, simply by opening his mouth. He is grating, obnoxious, horrible, smug, irritating. Other networks need to outbid Fox immediately, just to get him off of our airwaves.

kearly

Reaction score
I generally judge a crew not by their insight but by the way the add atmosphere to the game. This is why I have nothing against Joe Buck. He may be wooden and soulless, and struggles to conceal how much he hates his life, but he brings an element to big games the way no other announcer does.

John Madden was dumb, but he was fun. Dan Dierdorf was really dumb, but added good atmosphere to games. And so on. Maybe it's because I watched WWF at it's peak in the late 90's, but I'm a believer that announcing plays a pivotal role in the presentation of 'sports entertainment.' Dumb or not, it can still make it more fun to watch.

Occasionally though, you'll see a color commentator with a gift for insight. Mayock and Huard are pretty good, though my favorite is 80's beard. He just gets Pete Carroll in a way that no one else on TV does. Shame he had to move on because of his tendency for petty flubs. Expecting people to talk and react in real time for 3 hours without ever making a mistake is silly and unrealistic. I never understood why so many people freak out over that kind of thing, but maybe that's because I've interned at a Network TV station and they haven't.

Can't imagine watching the game on mute. Even the worst announcer crew in the world wouldn't be enough for me to sacrifice the sounds of the game.

Right now my favorite NFL crew is probably Albert/Moose/Goose. Each has their flaws but combined they add a lot of atmosphere to games. I also like the Aikman/Buck crew for big games. Al Michaels adds a ton of atmosphere to his games. Favorite football announcer is Gus Johnson. Favorite football commentator is Tim Ryan followed by Mike Mayock followed by Charles Davis and Brock Huard.

For baseball, Dave Sims is underrated and Mike Blowers is insanely underrated. Blowers is an insight machine and is about as close as humanly possible to being mistake free. He's humble in demeanor as well. The perfect color commentator.

For Radio, Rable is awesome in a 'northwest weird' way, he fits the hawks like a glove. I always enjoyed Dave Logan for the Bronco's games, even though he's super generic and a total homer. But he's polished with great voice talent. He's another guy that perfectly suits his region and fanbase. I used to listen to Rockies games on the radio ten years ago and the announcer was really great, shame I can't remember his name.

If there was a thread like this for the talking heads of the industry, I really like the way Bomani Jones looks at the world. His commentary on Wilson "not being black enough" was honest and spot on.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":34xj1c31 said:
For baseball, Dave Sims is underrated and Mike Blowers is insanely underrated. Blowers is an insight machine and is about as close as humanly possible to being mistake free. He's humble in demeanor as well. The perfect color commentator.............
LOVE Sims and Blowers! Thanks for bringing them up.

I left 80s beard (Tim Ryan) off my "I like" list for color guys.

acer1240

Reaction score
Don Criqui and Bob Trumpy from way back when. I miss listening to those guys.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
acer1240":2cd75k5z said:
Throw in a little Charlie Jones and we've got a complete nostalgia-fest going. Touchdown Tommy Kane!

CharlieJones

P.S. Dear god, I did not know what became of Kane until I googled his name to make sure I was spelling it right. Ugh.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":3eajp2zs said:
acer1240":3eajp2zs said:
Throw in a little Charlie Jones and we've got a complete nostalgia-fest going. Touchdown Tommy Kane!

CharlieJones

P.S. Dear god, I did not know what became of Kane until I googled his name to make sure I was spelling it right. Ugh.
Charlie Jones and Curt Gowdy WERE the AFL announcers in the mid-late 1960s. Gowdy did east coast games and Jones did west coast. Man I loved the AFL!
Here's Curt Gowdy for those that want to go down memory lane some more..........
2196a24d5dfda0596bd95420cc3b7729

pehawk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2b8tg1zw said:
acer1240":2b8tg1zw said:

CharlieJones

I take a sick pride in knowing at one time the Seahawks had two murderers starting at WR, simultaneously.

XOXO

Brian Millard