Female Fans and Frank Clark (Tricia Romano article)

mrblitz

Reaction score
i too stopped reading when the roethlisberger/cosby timelines were so flippantly conflated...

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Seafan":2v4r19t2 said:
Hawkfan77":2v4r19t2 said:
Won't read it because I don't want to give the times any clicks. Nothing against the author of the article, I'm sure it's much better than any of the garbage that baker "writes."

BTW, any mention of .NET? If not, kind of a waste of censorship from the other thread, eh?

Ditto. The Times sucks and I won't give them clicks.

If you really want to hose them, click in blocking all their ads and read their content. They won't get paid and it's almost like theft. Then you can feel like you live on the edge.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It was a fair piece.

One quibble. OK, two. They mention the drafting of Frank Clark as flying in the face of Russell's pass the peace campaign.

Is that the same campaign where Russ admitted to being a former bully? If one incident of violence is enough to make sure you never play for the Hawks, shouldn't these same people be campaigning for Russ to be dropped by the Hawks for his violent past?

And Cosby was not known for his deeds back when Roethlisberger was doing his.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ysfhpvg said:
bigtrain21":1ysfhpvg said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ysfhpvg said:
cacksman":1ysfhpvg said:
kearly said:
Here's the article Tricia Romano wrote, you might recall she posted at .net a few days ago asking female fans to contact her for their input.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... appointed/

It's behind a paywall and I haven't read it, but I figured I'd link for those who are curious.

Use an incognito tab.

My take: these women haven't been paying attention. They've consumed the narrative forced fed by the media this past week.
I vehemently disagree and said as much to Tricia via email when she approached me.

You offend me and many women not stupid enough to just be a sheep.

Woah. Let's not put words in his mouth. He didn't say all women he said these women.
Thing is, I'm wondering which "these" women he and you are talking about given the article itself was pretty balanced.

Maybe it's because I'm out of state and have no clue about the bias of the Seattle Times. It's not something I think is relevant to her in particular and the actual question she asked of the segment of the fan base she wanted an opinion from.

There were 2 female fans that were against drafting Clarke who were quoted. One became a Steelers fan and was unaware that Rothlisberger was involved with multiple sexual-assault cases until fans started pointing it out and called him the "Bill Cosby of the Steelers." A timeline that makes no sense. I am willing to bet she hasn't researched the case much.

The other said she can't believe that the Seahawks would bring someone in with a domestic violence history. He doesn't have a domestic violence history. The prosecutor said it was a situation where domestic violence did not occur. She knows as much about the case as anyone could who wasn't there. This calls into question how much the lady mentioned in the article has researched the case.

I will say this. Men and women comment all the time on things they shouldn't be commenting on. In this case, since the author sought out womens opinions, it happened to be two females that seem to not know much more than what the Seattle times is feeding them.

FanSince82

Reaction score
Meghan Trainor is a Seahawks fan? She isn't from Seattle, is she? :shock:

AgentDib

Reaction score
During the dark years, when the Seahawks weren’t a winning team, Seattle artist Meghan Trainor followed the Pittsburgh Steelers, almost out of desperation.
Maybe a little off topic, but it really bugs me when people conflate lack of playoff success with "dark years." The Seahawks have had only a handful of bad seasons in their 40 year history, and two of those were just a few years ago at the end of the Holmgren era. Even in the sub .500 seasons we were good at home and the Kingdome was a fantastic place to see a football game. If your only criteria for success is winning Super Bowls then you have to be a bandwagon fan or you will be disappointed 97% of the time.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
AgentDib":xvw8qs6r said:
During the dark years, when the Seahawks weren’t a winning team, Seattle artist Meghan Trainor followed the Pittsburgh Steelers, almost out of desperation.
Maybe a little off topic, but it really bugs me when people conflate lack of playoff success with "dark years." The Seahawks have had only a handful of bad seasons in their 40 year history, and two of those were just a few years ago at the end of the Holmgren era. Even in the sub .500 seasons we were good at home and the Kingdome was a fantastic place to see a football game. If your only criteria for success is winning Super Bowls then you have to be a bandwagon fan or you will be disappointed 97% of the time.
Yeah, the article is about Seahawks fans, yet they quote a stealer fan in the piece? Seems odd to me, but not surprising, its the Seattletimes, they should never be confused with true journalism

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Clarke told the woman hotel manager "I'll hit you like I hit her" during the broohaha. Did Schneider know this? They should cut that guy.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
bmorepunk":7590kp41 said:
Seafan":7590kp41 said:
Hawkfan77":7590kp41 said:
Won't read it because I don't want to give the times any clicks. Nothing against the author of the article, I'm sure it's much better than any of the garbage that baker "writes."

BTW, any mention of .NET? If not, kind of a waste of censorship from the other thread, eh?

Ditto. The Times sucks and I won't give them clicks.

If you really want to hose them, click in blocking all their ads and read their content. They won't get paid and it's almost like theft. Then you can feel like you live on the edge.
How do you block the ads?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
AgentDib":2ojupzo7 said:
They had a pretty crappy stretch between Knox and when Bering tried to move the team to LA. Erickson DUI and getting fired after not making the playoffs on a bad call, ect..

nepahawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2aur5t20 said:
Edit: I redact anything I may or may not have said

“I’d be wearing my Steelers hat and women would call me out, like, ‘You can’t root for that team,’ ” Trainor said. “He’s the Bill Cosby of the Steelers.”

That is impossible, the cosby thing wasn't a thing when roethlisberger was getting shit. HACK

I was going to make the same comment. Pure sensationalism.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":31o11qnt said:
Clarke told the woman hotel manager "I'll hit you like I hit her" during the broohaha. Did Schneider know this? They should cut that guy.
Don't get all excited, that never happened. Obvious BS, no one talks like that, sounds more like playground talk. I don't believe for a minute Clark, or any adult, would talk like that. The night manager is a liar.
Think about it, the guy, any guy, is either going to hit, or not hit, but would never deliver a childish taunt like, I will hit you like I hit her! Damn that sounds sooo phony...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
OK, I just got through reading Romano's article and I'd have to label it an "OK" piece. It's inevitable that you're going to have female fans of the Seahawks who are going to be naturally a bit upset by the Frank Clark pick. They're going to see such a move as a bit hypocritical (and rightfully so) given past statements against DV by Schneider (which he reiterated this past week).

That said, where were the quotes from female fans of the Seahawks who were in SUPPORT of Frank Clark? She has only 1 by Cynthia Brown -- no others. She tries to bolster the Pro Side with the citation of stats showing increased female viewership of the NFL (which is good), but could she really find no other female Seahawks fans to quote who took a more objective stance and who appeared a little more informed about the case? That's the one part of this article that bothers me a bit. As I said, it's a fair piece (and by that, I mean I'd give it a 'C' if I were her journalism teacher). It's definitely not the kind of yellow journalism that I've been reading of late when it comes to the Frank Clark story. It's a decent piece in my book ... but I'm feeling just a bit disappointed because I was expecting so much more.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Donn2390":1jqsha52 said:
Lords of Scythia":1jqsha52 said:
Don't get all excited, that never happened. Obvious BS, no one talks like that, sounds more like playground talk. I don't believe for a minute Clark, or any adult, would talk like that. The night manager is a liar.
Think about it, the guy, any guy, is either going to hit, or not hit, but would never deliver a childish taunt like, I will hit you like I hit her! Damn that sounds sooo phony...
Why in the world would she lie? She told the police the same thing, and they asked her if she wanted to press assault charges.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":32dcd82t said:
Why in the world would she lie? She told the police the same thing, and they asked her if she wanted to press assault charges.

The weird thing about it is that she didn't mention it to the police the night everything went down. That is a little odd but then in the first interview with the Times she didn't mention it either.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":192gn77i said:
Link?

cacksman

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ll9lhlr said:
cacksman":3ll9lhlr said:
kearly":3ll9lhlr said:
Here's the article Tricia Romano wrote, you might recall she posted at .net a few days ago asking female fans to contact her for their input.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... appointed/

It's behind a paywall and I haven't read it, but I figured I'd link for those who are curious.

Use an incognito tab.

My take: these women haven't been paying attention. They've consumed the narrative forced fed by the media this past week.
I vehemently disagree and said as much to Tricia via email when she approached me.

You offend me and many women not stupid enough to just be a sheep.

Maybe you should read a little closer there, gal.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I PM'ed her the Wayne Brady "choke a bitch" skit from Dave Chappelle show but I never heard back from her. :snack:

Latest posts