FIFA Corruption

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2thmyij1 said:
Looks like next year's Copa America in the US may be a victim of the scandal.

But with the ongoing investigation into alleged corruption, bribery and racketeering at FIFA, plus soccer officials who organized this tournament in North and South America facing serious charges, it seems like the 2016 Copa America Centenario taking place is in serious jeopardy.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... cancelled/

this would be payback for the US going after corrupt officials, but the report clearly stated that this tournament was one of the many in which bribes played a part.

pmedic920

Reaction score
What the hell is going on?

I don't follow this kind of football but the president of FIFA just got elected again and now he just stepped down.
I don't know what it all means but this seems huge.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pmedic920":1x71byy8 said:
What the hell is going on?

I don't follow this kind of football but the president of FIFA just got elected again and now he just stepped down.
I don't know what it all means but this seems huge.

It. is. Massive.

It finally happened. Liberation.

Seabhac

Reaction score
So Gents (and any ladies present) what happens next?

Does Luis Figo throw is hat back in the ring? - I hope so.
I would love to see a FOOTBALLER who believes in the beautiful game be in charge of the governing body (not some fat cat businessman)

The fear here is that the new regime is not just more of the same.

Either way - it looks like the World Cup has been saved

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":2c2cx401 said:

I would love to see a FOOTBALLER who believes in the beautiful game be in charge of the governing body (not some fat cat businessman)

Really hard to say... His assistant was also set to be indicted right before this.

Do they do a complete re-vote, or just promote? And at what point does Qatar become an issue for the new FIFA to consider, or does it at all?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3bn91tcp said:
Uncle Si":3bn91tcp said:
Seabhac":3bn91tcp said:

Really hard to say... His assistant was also set to be indicted right before this.

Do they do a complete re-vote, or just promote? And at what point does Qatar become an issue for the new FIFA to consider, or does it at all?

I think it's hard to go back on Qatar at this point, given the money that's already been invested. Some kind of solution needs to be found, though.

Assigning specific human right's laws that the nation must follow in constructing their stadiums would be a start. Shocked that they are not in place already.

Also, sounds like FIFA will hold a special congress to announce his successor.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":29p5kd4v said:
Yeah, sometime between December and March. They are also expected to discuss enacting term limits for the President and ExCo members.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":12pmjw7g said:
Uncle Si":12pmjw7g said:
Yeah, sometime between December and March. They are also expected to discuss enacting term limits for the President and ExCo members.

The one important thing that needs to be noted here is that while Blatter's resignation is a victory (massive) one for the sport, Blatter himself was only a part of the problem.

Corruption is a systematic way of life in FIFA. The only way Blatter's resignation makes any difference will be if FIFA itself makes wholesale changes in how it does business and holds its members accountable.

Ideally, the disgrace of Werner and the fall of Blatter and his crony will scare FIFA into action.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fantastic news, but as are most people, I'm still very skeptical.

Blatter was pressured to resign, but that doesn't mean he and his cronies aren't going to still try and puppet master behind the scenes.

This is a very long standing long reaching massive sleeper cell of corruption. So very hard to say this is over when it's so wide sweeping into every nook and cranny of FIFA.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vpof4w0 said:
Fantastic news, but as are most people, I'm still very skeptical.

Blatter was pressured to resign, but that doesn't mean he and his cronies aren't going to still try and puppet master behind the scenes.

This is a very long standing long reaching massive sleeper cell of corruption. So very hard to say this is over when it's so wide sweeping into every nook and cranny of FIFA.

Not every nook and cranny..

The interesting thing about FIFA is how it allots its money. Each participating member gets an equal share. So... regardless of size, each nation is given an equal amount of whatever is distributed.

The corruption, therefore, is mostly supported by the middling nations who use their power/sway as equal voting members to bribe and swindle. This was supported by top members.

I feel like a change in structure can be exacted by larger European nations willing to standardize and support an international body. It would have to come with a re-appropriation of voting power, however.

Trinidad & Tobago should not have the same sway in an election or vote of any kind with say the US... or Spain for that matter.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Now I REALLY want to see the Movie!!!

[youtube]JCjeD-Jqd2s[/youtube]

Seabhac

Reaction score
I was listening to this Podcast last night.
It has French journalist Philippe Auclair and Tim Vickery giving their insight into Blatters resignation.

Most significantly - Phillipe Auclair attacks the simple view that Blatter alone is the mastermind behind the rotten structure of FIFA. He also has a go a UEFA and Platini - for allowing their clubs to exploit the developing World and talks about having to suffer "a Host of Hypocrites hogging the headlines"

Philippe Auclair-"There's always this idea that Josef Blatter is the man stroking the white cat in this James Bond like den in Zurich. It's not the case! Josef Blatter is a survivor. He's a politician who's been governing with people who hate his guts for the past 30 years.

Tim Vickery- "We're going to suport a Jordanian Prince - Monthy Python couldn't have written this"

Its well worth a listen and is a good alternative view of the recent events. (and A little bit more in depth than the CNN / ESPNFC "skim over" Coverage)

http://www.newstalk.com/player/embed.php?mediaType=podcast&id=91607

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":3qkpyg3j said:
I was listening to this Podcast last night.
It has French journalist Philippe Auclair and Tim Vickery giving their insight into Blatters resignation.

Most significantly - Phillipe Auclair attacks the simple view that Blatter alone is the mastermind behind the rotten structure of FIFA. He also has a go a UEFA and Platini - for allowing their clubs to exploit the developing World and talks about having to suffer "a Host of Hypocrites hogging the headlines"

Philippe Auclair-"There's always this idea that Josef Blatter is the man stroking the white cat in this James Bond like den in Zurich. It's not the case! Josef Blatter is a survivor. He's a politician who's been governing with people who hate his guts for the past 30 years.

Tim Vickery- "We're going to suport a Jordanian Prince - Monthy Python couldn't have written this"

Its well worth a listen and is a good alternative view of the recent events. (and A little bit more in depth than the CNN / ESPNFC "skim over" Coverage)

http://www.newstalk.com/player/embed.php?mediaType=podcast&id=91607

Basic principle I was saying above.. Blatter's resignation needs to be part of an avalanche of change. If he is only replaced and the fundamental structure of the organization stays in place, FIFA does not change. If anything, they become more emboldened.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Cyrus12":33k2jy9u said:
Brady and Bellicheat would do just fine in soccer....

they have no idea the corruption levels of soccer.

Seabhac

Reaction score
No surprise that FAI took money from FIFA to drop the Thiery Henri cheating issue.
The whole country was up in arms about it and suddenly the FAI said it wasn't going to dispute.

There is a price on everything (in this case 5M Euro)