Film study on Joekel

getnasty

Reaction score
austinslater25":t9s4y2yb said:
He's a bust as a second overall pick not that he doesn't belong in the league. It's not even debatable he's an instant upgrade aost regardless where you put him. I can't figure out how anyone could be against him playing.

Couldn't agree more he's starting day one, where depends on how Pete and company feel about Fant.

HawkGA

Reaction score
A little concerned from the video that he doesn't do well with cut blocks. Isn't that what Cable is all about?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Well, if he can avoid leaving guys not only unblocked but free-run-untouched-what-was-that?-what-do-you-mean-that-was-my-guy? unblocked, he'll be a considerable upgrade.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":mt9xkj9d said:
Well, if he can avoid leaving guys not only unblocked but free-run-untouched-what-was-that?-what-do-you-mean-that-was-my-guy? unblocked, he'll be a considerable upgrade.

Nailed it. The missing stunts and free runners at Wilson is a much bigger problem we need to worry about. We can break down joeckel and I'm not saying he's without issues but he's meddling mid level starter and I couldn't bemkre excited. I think the break has a few forgetting how bad the line was.

naholmes

Reaction score
HawkGA":246sszp2 said:
A little concerned from the video that he doesn't do well with cut blocks. Isn't that what Cable is all about?
That is what I initially thought but this could be another sign the team is moving away from cut blocks. The league keeps cracking down on them and it's not as if they have been effective the last couple of years.

AgentDib

Reaction score
vin.couve12":22szkm3p said:
My main concern is the same as the last 2 years in that they keep said competition going until the day before week 1 and the OL as a whole doesn't know how to play as a unit. It's ridiculous.
Agreement here as well. 'Always compete' is a great philosophy most of the time but conflicts with cohesion within our starting OL when guys go in and out constantly based on their last outing. We need to have a great competition with a clear end date and then a plan for how the five starters will improve together. If Gilliam is going to end up in the doghouse in week 3 then I'd rather just have somebody else start week 1.

toffee

Reaction score
austinslater25":3o4chl0j said:
He's a bust as a second overall pick not that he doesn't belong in the league. It's not even debatable he's an instant upgrade aost regardless where you put him. I can't figure out how anyone could be against him playing.

Based on his performance, Jag determined that he would be adequate at guard but very vulnerable at tackle. Two problems:

1. Think too much, ie tentative which led to being slow.
2. Strength, he did get push around some. Partially because he often a split second late, see 1.

Now we may be kind of loaded at guards but still need tackles.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Seymour":3h7nsecw said:
vin.couve12":3h7nsecw said:
He's going to be able to compete at LT, IMO, and he'll likely win the job. Don't be surprised if that's the only change to the OL.

My main concern is the same as the last 2 years in that they keep said competition going until the day before week 1 and the OL as a whole doesn't know how to play as a unit. It's ridiculous.

Week 1? They keep competition going and swapping players and positions up past week 8. Cable doesn't seem to be able to pick his best players (or even tell crap from OK), until there is some game film, or QB is injured, or looking at scoreboard to tell there is a problem that needs to be resolved.
I kind of started to laugh and then I didn't. Funny....and not funny.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AgentDib":v5obtzh1 said:
vin.couve12":v5obtzh1 said:
Agreement here as well. 'Always compete' is a great philosophy most of the time but conflicts with cohesion within our starting OL when guys go in and out constantly based on their last outing. We need to have a great competition with a clear end date and then a plan for how the five starters will improve together. If Gilliam is going to end up in the doghouse in week 3 then I'd rather just have somebody else start week 1.
I might be inclined to write Gilliam off as the backup swing tackle, but Bennett seems to believe he'll make a big leap. I find that odd. Bennett is often critical of even his own teammates and he faces Gilliam at times. Maybe he thinks something sparked.

Glow has his limitations as well. He's a powerhouse, even at 310 or whatever it is now, but he's also mechanical because of it. He's really lacking laterally. If he's N/S in the run game then he's golden. Even holds up against a bull rush well, but when he has to move laterally and keep his shoulders square he can have some problems. It's possible he gets challenged, but probably wins

Britt just needs to keep improving. All the pieces are there and that veteran consistency should be there at some point.

Ifedi was all over the place. Flashed at times, looked like he completely didn't belong at times, and generally was as helter skelter as a lot of rookies do. I don't think someone will take his job, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Fant just really needs to work on his functional strength. If he loses some athletic ability doing so, that's fine. He's got it in spades. He's got issues with pretty much every type of rush, however, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that he can get pushed around. Obviously, you still want to keep developing Fant and I still can't say that he won't do exactly what he needs to do this offseason and win that job. Can't rule it out. I do think Joekel gives him a serious run for his money though.

I think the idea, regardless, is that Joekel is there to take someone's job. It's not a given that it happens, but it's a good 50/50 and you can almost deduce that either Fant or Gilliam shapes how that ends up in getting your 5 best on the field. If both those players hold onto their jobs, then maybe you kick him inside to complete with Glow.

original poster

Reaction score
I'd really like to see Fant improve 10 fold over the off season and either get the LT or even RT job with Joekel taking the other tackle spot.

Ozzy

Reaction score
toffee":1vs95i2q said:
austinslater25":1vs95i2q said:

Based on his performance, Jag determined that he would be adequate at guard but very vulnerable at tackle. Two problems:

2. Strength, he did get push around some. Partially because he often a split second late, see 1.

I agree but watching a couple of scouting breakdowns he was much better than what we had at tackle even with the limitations. It will be interesting to see how the final line shakes out. I'm guessing Joekel and Ifedi at tackle but wouldn't shock me if both ended up at guard. Really tough to say at the moment.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Largent80":2t9dtal5 said:
The problem is that if you take Glownski out you are actually messing up his progression and line continuity. To me Joke needs to unseat someone by his play.

He looks underwhelming to my eye.
I agree and would like to see Glow still play guard. Perhaps move Ifeidi to RT opening the other guard spot.

Perhaps a Line like this:

FANT..Joekel..Britt...Glow...Ifeidi

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
austinslater25":1fpa46p0 said:
toffee":1fpa46p0 said:
austinslater25":1fpa46p0 said:

I agree but watching a couple of scouting breakdowns he was much better than what we had at tackle even with the limitations. It will be interesting to see how the final line shakes out. I'm guessing Joekel and Ifedi at tackle but wouldn't shock me if both ended up at guard. Really tough to say at the moment.
I think it depends on whether they draft a tackle or not. If one of the guys fall to 26 then i see joekel being a gaurd. If not hes the tackle. Oday aboushi might also move to gaurd with ifedi at tackle we dont know.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Aboushi is interesting too and I have a feeling he will be starting somewhere. With this huge influx of guards it will be interesting. I don't think they go tackle at 26 but nothing would shock me.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seriously, with Wilson's athleticism and skill at avoidance, all we really need is a league average Tackle. If both Tackles were league average, it would be even better. Joekel is league average for sure.

nwgamer

Reaction score
Would Fant make a decent RT? If Joekel outplays him for LT why not see if its suited for him. He is still raw and moldable after all.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Biggest wealness on the OL appears to be at RT.
I like the author's idea. Joke to LG, Glow to his natural position at RG, Ifedi to RT.
Fant, Gilliam, and a pick battle it out for the LT position.

kf3339

Reaction score
vin.couve12":lfu9xyqv said:
He's going to be able to compete at LT, IMO, and he'll likely win the job. Don't be surprised if that's the only change to the OL.

As others have already stated this is my biggest worry as well. I don't really care who the starting 5 is at this point, but just that Cable picks them by the week 3 preseason game and sticks with them. It's the constant churn for the sake of "competition" and learning other position roles that makes none of them really adequate other than Britt.

I just don't see what PC sees in Cable all these years. It's like he has a man crush and doesn't know how to take his blinders off, and see the reality of his coaching ability.

Latest posts