Fire Pete? Tough Crowd (Long, so be forewarned…)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete is clinging to a philosophy that does not match his personnel.

Which means there is little upside, since we are not going to get a roster that meets his philosophy.

Pete either hamstrings his coordinators, or they are incompetent and he shields them. Either way, they are useless to us when combined with him - unless we have a roster half full of pro bowl players.

And finally, Pete clings to a philosophy that is being phased out by rule changes. It is harder to play defense because many rule changes were specifically put in place to inflate the production of the QBs. We have a QB that can benefit from this, and we could exploit this but we only do this through Pete's nonsensical reliance on 'splash' plays where we shoot for 20+ yard gains at low success rates.

Ultimately, though, the problem is not the wins/losses. I am completely fine with watching a hard fought loss.

But the constant, grind the ball into the ground, 3 and out, milk the clock for the entire 3 quarters approach is just unwatchable football. I started with just going to fewer games per year. Followed by only bothering to watch the games after the half. Now I feel like I only really need to watch the 4th quarter, since the 3rd is starting to look a lot like how the 2nd goes.

I used at least want to watch the defense, but with half our great players out there isn't as much excitement there. A lot of JAGs instead of all-everything players.

Likely it will be like dealing with losing the coach as a Sonics fan. Getting rid of George Karl, you get stuck with Paul for a while but eventually you get back to the playoffs with Nate. But Karl's teams were never this unwatchable.

OP
OP
FidelisHawk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":19v6s3sv said:
Siouxhawk":19v6s3sv said:
HawkNuts":19v6s3sv said:
The reality is if you don’t get rid of PC you don’t get rid of any of the other coaches.

This offens3 isn’t going anywhere wi5h the current coaching staff.

He’s too soft on his assistants.
Been to 2 Super Bowls in past 5 years. Best staff to right the ship. They know what they’re doing.

Blockbuster Video was in the SB of movie rentals for over a decade. They must obviously know what they're doing so don't change a thing. Pan Am, Eastern, Woolworth's, Bon Marche, Mervyn's, TWA, Northwest, Compaq, Standard Oil, General Foods, etc. All huge, wildly successful companies at one point.

Because when something once worked, keep on with the exact business model-same management, same executives, same schemes, same coaches, same formations. Never evolve, never adapt and always be satisfied with below projected earnings reports, declining revenue and wins because hey, years ago we were once on top.

We’re really talking apples and oranges now, but all these companies tried doing what you suggesting. They changed CEOs, adjusted their business model, restructured, or were absorbed by larger entities before their demise.

Here, it seems to me, the line of thought is more akin to changing the cashers, to said companies, and expecting that to be a magic bullet that would return them profitability.

Now, if you want to speak about the NFL business model, or the decline in attendance, cost of stadiums, fewer young athletes playing the sport, the upswing in popularity of soccer, health dangers, violent nature of the sport, felony arrests, rising ticket prices, fantasy football, Madden football or any of the myriad of problems chipping away at the popularity, and profitability, of the sport these days, I’m all ears.

Of course that would be for a different forum.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":24pd2dg2 said:
Siouxhawk":24pd2dg2 said:
HawkNuts":24pd2dg2 said:
The reality is if you don’t get rid of PC you don’t get rid of any of the other coaches.

This offens3 isn’t going anywhere wi5h the current coaching staff.

He’s too soft on his assistants.
Been to 2 Super Bowls in past 5 years. Best staff to right the ship. They know what they’re doing.

How much rope are you willing to give them? You've said before this season that within three years this team will win an SB. If that's the case, one year down.

man-by-larg-spool-of-rope-vintage-photo1.jpg

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I dont want Pete to be fired. I think too many on here are quick to suggest it. Coaches are confident and stubborn. Pete's "way" has been very successful. I think he deserves criticism for not realizing it's time to adjust. I also think he deserves a bit more understanding in how hard that must be for coaches. People praise Belichek... but he the Patriots had that run of years without a Super Bowl. It's understandable that most coaches believe in their process enough to see the struggles through.

I do want new coordinators and a message that everything must evolve. If Pete's not the guy for that, then so be it.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22httbn6 said:
I dont want Pete to be fired. I think too many on here are quick to suggest it. Coaches are confident and stubborn. Pete's "way" has been very successful. I think he deserves criticism for not realizing it's time to adjust. I also think he deserves a bit more understanding in how hard that must be for coaches. People praise Belichek... but he the Patriots had that run of years without a Super Bowl. It's understandable that most coaches believe in their process enough to see the struggles through.

I do want new coordinators and a message that everything must evolve. If Pete's not the guy for that, then so be it.

Exactly what I've been saying too. It boils down to, how long do you think Pete will continue coaching, do you think he is flexible enough to change, and does he have time to weather the growing pains?

He has shown little resolve to change much thus far, and I think his "all in" this season with trading draft picks is telling that this was all or nothing season for him. If so, then obviously not enough time is my answer.

What I really dread the thought of is, a 3rd+ straight season of SOS.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1zkczj6n said:
Uncle Si":1zkczj6n said:

Exactly what I've been saying too. It boils down to, how long do you think Pete will continue coaching, do you think he is flexible enough to change, and does he have time to weather the growing pains?

He has shown little resolve to change much thus far, and I think his "all in" this season with trading draft picks is telling that this was all or nothing season for him. If so, then obviously not enough time is my answer.

Can you think of a head coach that is flexible enough to change?

Honestly, this might be the undoing of all of them eventually.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5zjs4ftp said:
Seymour":5zjs4ftp said:
Uncle Si":5zjs4ftp said:

Yes. Bill Bellichick. He will change game plan week to week and exploit the other teams weakness. Does not have that arrogance that Pete hangs onto. "It's not about them, it's about us" mentality has to go. It's about both, and Belichick knows that.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Whether you are on the side of firing or not, we absolutely need to think about a new coach. Pete is very old, and even if he sticks around for 3 more years, is that what’s best for the team, best for Russ (who will still be here)? Just as we are talking about end of LoB, it’s kind of hand in hand with Pete’s philosophy and ideal roster build. We have to choose a few more years of scrambling to be the same without the luck of drawing elite talent, or define a new way to win, adapt.

Seymour

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":10jgccnm said:
Whether you are on the side of firing or not, we absolutely need to think about a new coach. Pete is very old, and even if he sticks around for 3 more years, is that what’s best for the team, best for Russ (who will still be here)? Just as we are talking about end of LoB, it’s kind of hand in hand with Pete’s philosophy and ideal roster build. We have to choose a few more years of scrambling to be the same without the luck of drawing elite talent, or define a new way to win, adapt.

Exactly. Uncle Paul needs to think long and hard too. Does he want Pete bailing in the middle of his 2nd rebuild and have another new guy come in and start all over? Hell no Paul doesn't want that, and I suspect Michael Silvers "they are going to be a whole lot different" next year may well involve Pete.

OP
OP
FidelisHawk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":bedkpl9p said:

Pete is only seven months older than Belichick….

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":3iq6i2ij said:
Coug_Hawk08":3iq6i2ij said:

What is your point? You think they will both coach forever because they have had success? They aren’t machines.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":653v4n2p said:
Uncle Si":653v4n2p said:
Seymour":653v4n2p said:
Uncle Si":653v4n2p said:

Yes. Bill Bellichick. He will change game plan week to week and exploit the other teams weakness. Does not have that arrogance that Pete hangs onto. "It's not about them, it's about us" mentality has to go. It's about both, and Belichick knows that.

I think Belichek's "flexibility" is a little overblown. However, its also part of his coaching philosophy. If you think about it, there isn't anyone that has been as successful as he has been and that comes down to his game plans are flexible because the teams he builds are.

But... you still know that Brady is going to be the key on offense. He's going to sprinkle in the run game. He's going to force you to game plan to his strength and then hit you with something else and he will challenge your team by taking away your strength.

Pete's done that, to a degree. His issue now is that it isnt as effective. We've seen Bill go through a few years stretch where it didnt work. he didnt "change"

OP
OP
FidelisHawk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":287uo4m8 said:
FidelisHawk":287uo4m8 said:
Coug_Hawk08":287uo4m8 said:

What is your point? You think they will both coach forever because they have had success? They aren’t machines.

Well nobody is saying Belichick is “very old”, looking tired, could retire in a few of years, or not up for a second rebuild, so that was my point.

I get everyone retires some time, I just retired last March, I just feel the calls for his demise are overstated and he is completely capable of coaching into his seventies. Just like other coaches have and Belichick can.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":3dtjdyf0 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3dtjdyf0 said:
FidelisHawk":3dtjdyf0 said:
Coug_Hawk08":3dtjdyf0 said:

Well nobody is saying Belichick is “very old”, looking tired, could retire in a few of years, or not up for a second rebuild, so that was my point.

I get everyone retires some time, I just retired last March, I just feel the calls for his demise are overstated and he is completely capable of coaching into his seventies. Just like other coaches have and Belichick can.

No one is saying that about Belicheck because they don’t need a rebuild like we do and are still dominating, under his guidance. So the facts are different. Though, it is also still very very possible he decides to ride out with Tom Brady — not sure at this point that he’d want to fight the whole fight without him. Could be totally wrong but that’d be a closer spot to where Pete is at right now.

Regardless, I just don’t see Pete remaining a head coach into his 70s, certainly not for the Seahawks.

OP
OP
FidelisHawk

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":wzjwjsvi said:
FidelisHawk":wzjwjsvi said:
Coug_Hawk08":wzjwjsvi said:
FidelisHawk":wzjwjsvi said:

No one is saying that about Belicheck because they don’t need a rebuild like we do and are still dominating, under his guidance. So the facts are different. Though, it is also still very very possible he decides to ride out with Tom Brady — not sure at this point that he’d want to fight the whole fight without him. Could be totally wrong but that’d be a closer spot to where Pete is at right now.

Regardless, I just don’t see Pete remaining a head coach into his 70s, certainly not for the Seahawks.

I’m also not convinced that calls for a rebuild aren’t a bit overstated as well.

Whether Pete wants to coach into his seventies is clearly up to him. My point was if he wanted to he could, and I obviously would be in favor of it.