Fire Tom Cable

Showmeyourtd's

Reaction score
I would agree, he is suppose to be on the best coaches, yet our O-line has been mediocre or worse pretty much every year. .. Yes, we did win the superbowl with this o-line but we will also get wilson hurt with this same line.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Yeah, I too think it is time to try another OL coach....Cable doesnt have a strong track record anywhere he has coached as having top tier pass protection and i know we have never been strong at pass blocking and RW is too valuable to this franchise not to move toward better pass blocking. Cable seems to love the projects rather drafting or signing legit OL candidates.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Honestly, you guys can blame Cable all you want.

But if Okung could stay healthy and play like a top 25% Left Tackle like his Pro-Bowl would suggest...

Or

Unger could stay healthy and play like a top 10% Center like his All-Pro would suggest...

Or Zach Miller could stay healthy... who basically acts like a Pseudo OT capable of blocking big DEs or rush LBers.

Its funny how Cable's best year and Lynch's best year was in 2012 when all three of those guys were healthy despite having mediorce, sub average play from guys like McQuistan and Giacomini. Okung-Unger-Miller all being healthy stabilized the line.
It also doesn't help having a short QB like Wilson, who can't beat a blitz like most QBs can, and has to wait for passing lanes to develop.

I still think Cable has done a tremendous job with the talent he's had to work with for the most part. If anything, he's capable of taking no name players and making them servicable.

But I think the OP has a point... sort of...I think some of the struggle is that Cable has built this O-Line to be a Smash-Mouth unit but Bevell is not utilizing those strengths into his gameplan. And ofcourse a team wiithout its best blocker (Miller), an injured LT (Okung), and down to its 3rd Center is going struggle with a pair of OG's who are still green behind the ears and a rookie RT.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think Cable's a good, to top 5 OL coach in the game. And, as PH alluded to above Seattle's offense makes it very difficulty to judge him accurately, IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Look what the guy has to work with this year.

- former 1st rounder that needs shoulder surgery
- A center that can't stay healthy
- an underachieving guard on one side, and a 7th round former defensive player on the other
- rookie thrown into the fire

When we have a healthy line with a good mix of talent and nasty, Cable is a very good coach. Right now? Not the case..........at all.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The dude helped win you a Super Bowl while using a ham sandwich and chopped liver at Right and Left Tackle last season.

OL could be a lot worse than what it is. He's getting plenty out of the available talent.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The OL is just an afterthought in FA and the draft.

We just throw a bunch of stuff out there and expect him to mold it into something amazing.

Would be like taking a chef from a local restaurant and asking him to cater a wedding but he can only use ingredients from the local AM/PM. The fact that you get something edible at all is amazing at that point.

We have provided no protection to Wilson and our run game consists of Lynch managing to shake off 1-2 tackle attempts before he hits the line, make his cut, look for the crease and if so get another 4-5 yards - otherwise get stopped at the line.

That assumes we get the snap off cleanly, which isn't a given in the first place.

I will admit to not being a huge Cable fan but he isn't exactly given much to work with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If anything I think Cable is too good, which is the reason we haven't spent enough resources, draft and FA wise on the line.

Pete and John have relied on Cable's ability to drastically improve average players into good lineman. Which is fine as long as we have a RB like Lynch around that can make something out of nothing 50% of the time, but next year we're in deep doo doo if Lynch walks.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sibygtm said:
If anything I think Cable is too good, which is the reason we haven't spent enough resources, draft and FA wise on the line.

Pete and John have relied on Cable's ability to drastically improve average players into good lineman. Which is fine as long as we have a RB like Lynch around that can make something out of nothing 50% of the time, but next year we're in deep doo doo if Lynch walks.

+1

Exactly! I heard Rang say after the 2012 season the Hawks wont spend high capitol on OL any more, because they think Cable is good enough to make a serviceable line out of minimal resources. As long as he is givi dudes that are "nasty", he'll make it work.

Hawks are a power running team with an offense tailored to a unique QB. Uneasiness about the offensive line comes with the territory.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
The other crucial thing with O-lines is time playing together. If you have inconsistent time together is does not help create that unity that is so crucial to O-lines. There have been plenty of no name O-line players that went on to become very good when they stayed together and had time.

kmedic

Reaction score
Tom Cable is a damn good coach. If he hadn't beaten up his wife, he'd definitely be a head coach somewhere right now. He's the only guy I can remember over the past 10 years that actually had the Raiders playing decent football. He not only is a wizard with the ZBS, but he brings a toughness and attitude that fits in perfectly with our identity.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I created this thread more with levity rather than seriousness. However, it has spurred some good discussion...I think both camps (for and against Cable) make valid points.

The questions I measure Cable on (just my opinion and from my observation) are how players have improved under his tutelage. I'll give him credit for Sweezy. He converted an low round DL pick into a serviceable RG at the minimum. However, Okung was pro bowl guard before Cable came on board....has he improved? Unger the same....has he gotten better? What about Carp? Besides, Sweezy who else has gotten better because of Cable? Just some food for thought...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawkfan68":yyogvk99 said:
However, Okung was pro bowl guard before Cable came on board....has he improved? Unger the same....has he gotten better? What about Carp?

Cable came aboard in 2011. Okung and Unger didn't make their first Pro Bowls until 2012. Their improvement under Cable has been huge and obvious. Both players were criticized heavily before Cable showed up.

Carp has definitely improved since his early injury-plagued seasons. The interior play we're getting from him and Sweezy is arguably the brightest spot on our line.

pehawk

Reaction score
And, on Carp, can we cut dude some slack? He was NEVER drafted to play tackle, ever. He was playing tackle out of necessity only in year one. Second, dude bust his ass to get back on the field after injury, when everyone thought he'd be IR'd. Carp wasn't drafted to be a nimble dude with tremendous dexterity quickness. He was drafted to be a road grater at guard, and this year he's been just that. As long as he keeps cancelling out "The Cowboy" 2-3 times a year, I'm cool with Carp.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
DavidSeven":42n49r8g said:
hawkfan68":42n49r8g said:
However, Okung was pro bowl guard before Cable came on board....has he improved? Unger the same....has he gotten better? What about Carp?

Cable came aboard in 2011. Okung and Unger didn't make their first Pro Bowls until 2012. Their improvement under Cable has been huge and obvious. Both players were criticized heavily before Cable showed up.

Carp has definitely improved since his early injury-plagued seasons. The interior play we're getting from him and Sweezy is arguably the brightest spot on our line.

Good point...I forgot that Cable came in with Bevell in 2011. It think the TJack/Whitehurst struggles clouded my memory of that year.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":yrc3zmgy said:

Yes, a guy with no ability to judge talent or make people better is TOO GOOD.

In no universe is cable too good. He has failed from day 1.

Cable was a mistake and its time to move on. Cable's no-pass-pro O-lines are going to get Wilson injured. Cable has a history of always having poor pass-pro olines.

Cable isn't suddenly going to be any better than bottom-5 in the nfl, time to move on

hawknation2014

Reaction score
pehawk":1eolrlfo said:
And, on Carp, can we cut dude some slack? He was NEVER drafted to play tackle, ever. He was playing tackle out of necessity only in year one. Second, dude bust his ass to get back on the field after injury, when everyone thought he'd be IR'd. Carp wasn't drafted to be a nimble dude with tremendous dexterity quickness. He was drafted to be a road grater at guard, and this year he's been just that. As long as he keeps cancelling out "The Cowboy" 2-3 times a year, I'm cool with Carp.

Carroll and Schneider each made comments after the 2011 draft indicating that Carpenter was drafted to play Right Tackle. In hindsight, it was a reach.

However, they haven't gotten terrible value for him as a part-time starter in his first three years and now a full-time starter at his natural left guard position. Since his first few years in the league have been so up and down, they should be able to sign him to a favorable deal if they choose to when he enters free agency after this season.

For a line that has had so many injury problems, the backups are two undrafted free agents and a former sixth rounder that San Diego didn't want. Cable has done all that can be done with what he has.