Five Seahawks named to All-Decade Team

sdog1981

Reaction score
This list feels like a rough draft before the real list was made.

Andre Johnson just missed out due to his time in the league. He got into the NFL in 2003, got hurt in 2007 and 2011 which kind of derailed his career numbers for both All-Decade teams.

Sproles over AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, and Odell Beckham is just wrong.

Why did they not use the Edge rusher and Interior Linemen categories? They use it for the All-Pro teams, why not for this list too?

Patrick Willis only played 4 and 1/3 of the decade and he is on the list? Feels like a participation trophy. NFL careers end early all the time due to injury, a lot of good "what if" careers, Willis fits that description.

Jones should be a DE. Drop Campbell for LaVonte David, after moving Jones back to DE.

Two things are clear about this list. The NFL drafts from 2005-2008 had a ton of good talent that had these half-decade careers that got put onto this list even though they were not as good from 2015 to 2019. This also shows how quickly teams were to get rid of very good veteran players for cheaper rookie contracts. The All-Decade teams before this were loaded with players that played for only one team that decade. This list has multiple players that have played for three teams.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
I wonder if Chancellor is underrated because of what I would call "Seahawk fatigue". I believe he was the best SS in the league this decade and better than Berry and Weddle. However, he was on a defense loaded with stars, and voters wanted to spread the love to other teams and fan bases. Doesn't make it right, but that's how I see it.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35e8161n said:
And really, you can't any list seriously that doesn't have Cary Williams on there.
There was a thread on the nfl reddit board the other day asking people who their least favorite player was who played for their favorite team, and I thought it was funny that multiple Seahawks and Eagles fans had him on their lists. I don’t know how the Ravens made him look good; they always seem to have some black magic sorcery going.

Rat

Reaction score
Erebus":213f2fje said:
I wonder if Chancellor is underrated because of what I would call "Seahawk fatigue". I believe he was the best SS in the league this decade and better than Berry and Weddle. However, he was on a defense loaded with stars, and voters wanted to spread the love to other teams and fan bases. Doesn't make it right, but that's how I see it.
Honestly, I think it’s just the short peak. He was probably better than Weddle, but Weddle was good for a much longer period; I think he had like six Pro Bowls.

I don’t know that he was especially underrated at his peak, but I think people have forgotten how good he was. Does seem wrong that the guy who laid the most “boom” for the decade’s most iconic defense didn’t make the team. He became a prototype for his position.

Berry was amazing; he deserved his spot. Weddle over Kam? You can argue who was “better”, but I understand why Weddle would get more support. But Mathieu? Call it name recognition or recency bias or whatever, but that one was ridiculous.

Frankly, I thought Kam deserved MVP over Malcom in the Super Bowl. Might have completely changed his legacy. Smith had the big plays, but Kam was our best player from start to finish that day IMO.

KinesProf

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1m37eek4 said:
Brees is WAY more deserving than Lord Rodgers. It's just a list, but that's ridiculous to take him over Brees.

I disagree. Rodgers has had the better decade. And even if you want to argue Brees, go ahead, but "way more deserving" is a stretch.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
KinesProf":lsq3768t said:
SoulfishHawk":lsq3768t said:
Brees is WAY more deserving than Lord Rodgers. It's just a list, but that's ridiculous to take him over Brees.

I disagree. Rodgers has had the better decade. And even if you want to argue Brees, go ahead, but "way more deserving" is a stretch.

If Brees can’t make it, I’d rather replace Rodgers with Russell Wilson.

beaumaris

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":3ql6e4yj said:
KinesProf":3ql6e4yj said:
SoulfishHawk":3ql6e4yj said:

Nonsense list without Russell at No.1 for me.

NINEster

Reaction score
Rat":2quaji4y said:
bmorepunk":2quaji4y said:
I wonder if anybody, anywhere is going to look at that list and be like "yeah, it's perfect, I wouldn't swap it out at all".

Anybody?

I know he has been absurdly durable, but I really don’t like Frank Gore on there over Arian Foster or Jamaal Charles. Especially Foster. I might even take Le’Veon Bell over him.

Gore started before all of those guys and is still more relevant than two of them (completely out of the league) and Bell has dropped off quite a bit relative to where he was.

Lynch just showed up at the right time and was a good scheme fit for the Seahawks. Gore was doing more with less his first few years in SF, and continued to battle on.

Don't think anyone traded out should be in the same conversation as a guy who played through some real lean years before moving on in FA.

All decade team not all world for 2 or 3 years. Even Adrian Peterson isn't a lock to be top 5 all time in rushing yards and he's only been in the league 2 years after Gore.

NINEster

Reaction score
beaumaris":2pgm9d53 said:
BlackandGolden":2pgm9d53 said:
KinesProf":2pgm9d53 said:
SoulfishHawk":2pgm9d53 said:

Wilson has only been very good for maybe 2 or 3 seasons.

Wilson 2012-2016 on the 2017-2019 teams would all be under .500.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh. They made back to back Super Bowl trips and were one play from back to back titles. They don't sniff the Super Bowl w/out Russ. You're high.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Weddle being on an all-decade team and Kam being left off is laughable.

Weddle was very good for a long time. But he was never great. He was never the best safety in the league at any time he was still going to Pro Bowls. He was essentially in the 'best of the rest' category.

He never tilted the field, or at least when it did it was so rare as to be almost unnoticeable.

Kam tilted the field in almost every game he played. Maybe a few games after his holdout he was a non-factor, but for the most part he was a key element of Seattle's strength.

Longevity is the issue, but Kam was one of the Greats to EVER play his position. This entire list is suspect, if not ridiculous, in excluding Kam.

acer1240

Reaction score
:179417:
NINEster":35irn0qn said:
beaumaris":35irn0qn said:
BlackandGolden":35irn0qn said:
KinesProf":35irn0qn said:

Wilson has only been very good for maybe 2 or 3 seasons.

Wilson 2012-2016 on the 2017-2019 teams would all be under .500.

Wilson is already a lock for the hall of fame and your opinion is that he's only been good for 3 seasons?

NINEster

Reaction score
To Soulfish & Acer:

With respect to this thread of being what, the top 3 QB of the NFC for the decade, then yes I don't think Wilson has deserved to be in the conversation until recently. It's already enough to even have to gurgle out despite Seattle not tasting an NFC Championship game in half a decade (while guys like Rodgers and Brees have done so recently), but I digress.

Wilson certainly did his role in 2013 and 2014, but a top 3 QB wasn't needed to make both of those QBs. Because he got into those SBs that definitely makes him a good QB, but a great great one?

Why don't you assess Kaepernick's 2012 and Garoppolo's 2019 seasons if you need the clarity of what Wilson was in 2013. And if you say Wilson won the bowl and those didn't, then I assure you they'd have won too if only 8 points allowed were allowed by those defenses. You think Niners lose this last one if they held KC to 10? Oh wait they did up until the levee broke....

Either all 3 sucked or all were 3 good, no different way to spin it.

Wilson's always been clutch and a playmaker, but to the point where he's legitimately a problem for good defenses, it's only been a few seasons. The two SB appearances early on have definitely biased perception of Wilson's early career for sure.

I'd love for the old old Wilson to come back. Just don't bring back Lynch and that LOB... :2thumbs:

Latest posts