Fixing the defense

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ct0505u said:
LTH":1ct0505u said:
Sgt. Largent":1ct0505u said:
TwistedHusky":1ct0505u said:
If it was personnel, we wouldn't have seen this last year.

Last year the excuse was we had no safeties.

Now the excuse is the DL.

Plenty of defenses with less talent have at least not been the worst in history against the pass. When you are this bad, there are plenty of excuses but generally, it means the guy in charge is the problem.

In this case, the DC. This all only started once Norton got here.

The longer he has been here the more entrenched the results have gotten and the worse they have become.

Before, letting teams come back into the RZ regularly in under 2 min was a before the half or 2 min warning thing. Now those are under 1 minute and we regularly allow teams to march into the RZ in 2 minutes or less.

This is a symptom of Norton.

I'm no defender of Norton, but I don't know how you can watch Mayowa, Reed, Ford and Collier and think personnel is not the biggest issue.

It has to be the worst D-line talent wise in the entire league.

Get any D- coordinator you want, that line isn't improving.

First of all I think this D is not going to be a D like 2013... that seems to be everybody's expectation... That being said,
I think this D can be fixed to be competitive but not great...

They need to find another corner that can play besides Flowers .... everytime the guy comes in the game they go to a zone cause he can't man up for some season. JS needs to address that or they need to coach up Flowers because its a problem...

secondly, I ask the question is it reasonable to have our starting DT's Playing 75-80% in the rotation? I think not... and that was apparent last night as the cards started pushing them around in the 4th...

and then the obvious JA needs to come back... surely they need to get some more pressure going...

I dont think its going to be fixable by this boards standards but I think this D can be competitive enough to make a SB run with the way the O is playing... we will see I could be very wrong but I want to see what happens when Green and Snacks come in the rotation and I want to see the Hawks fix Flowers or find another corner... I would love to see the corners stay healthy

Just my take

LTH

1. They went out and got another corner, his name is Quinton Dunbar. He hasn't been healthy. So you want another another corner? Where's that player coming from?

2. The reason we got Snacks is because Pete and John know that 80% of snaps for Ford and Reed isn't sustainable. As evident that neither player is effective after halftime.

You're talking about things that should have been addressed in the off season. We bargain binned the defensive line, didn't get any CB depth and the draft picks we did make aren't making an impact, and now we're paying for it. There were PLENTY of front line pass rushers and DE's that could have been had for 10-15M.

Maybe John can work his magic and trade for a DE, but that's not going to fix the defense. We need 2-3 key pieces to even get to mediocre.

SGT I think your right... these things should have been addressed in the off season but here is the thing PC and JS are some of the most brilliant minds in the NFL, If you could pay 1000 bucks to be able to sit in the meetings and find out what they are actually thinking, sit in the draft room during the draft? would ya do it? I would.... Im not sure why they didnt address certain issues... But your right All of these issues should have been addressed maybe one day we will know what actually happened... here is hoping for the best for the rest of the season...

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
LTH,

You might not be an X or O guy...but you can probably notice the tides coming in.

My concern is that Jamal Adams IS an X and O guy.

You think he will want to sign a deal with us to play under an incompetent DC for the worst pass defense in the history of the league?

Because if he does not, we will have squandered multiple 1st round picks with nothing to show for it.

I am very concerned because Jamal is a prideful guy. I don't see him wanting to put his name on this sinking ship.

We will see what happens but this defense has not been good in a single game.

Lots of reasons why, always changing. But very little actual results that were not below standard.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":153i3ndk said:
LTH,

You might not be an X or O guy...but you can probably notice the tides coming in.

You think he will want to sign a deal with us to play under an incompetent DC for the worst pass defense in the history of the league?

Because if he does not, we will have squandered multiple 1st round picks with nothing to show for it.

I am very concerned because Jamal is a prideful guy. I don't see him wanting to put his name on this sinking ship.

Lots of reasons why, always changing. But very little actual results that were not below standard.

Yeah thats going to be interesting to see what happens with JA... right now they are winning if that takes a turn It will be interesting to see how he handles that..

also in listening to Carrolls PC the reporters brought up Norton... Carroll said that he was involved in the play calling but pretty much let Norton call the game... he said that the scheme was lite on pressure in the 4th... So maybe he is addressing issue with his staff... but he is not going to tell us...

LTH

Buck

Reaction score
Need a quality pass rusher, someone that can get to the QB or makes the opposition’s O-line double team him, can’t give the opposing QB all the time in the world.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
To many issues to fix. It is what it is now and we just have to swallow it.

First and foremost, Pete and the FO are extremely overrated and has been for awhile now. Pass rush was the biggest issue coming into the season and they didnt address it. Once again, they got cute and grabbed a couple of retreads and gave the world away for a safety believing that would be a good enough band-aid instead of just directing the actual problem. This happens way to often with this team. They gamble and lose horribly.

Second, we have a terrible DC in Norton. Lets face it, he's been bad everywhere. The problem with Norton though, is I believe he's just a Pete yes man that runs the schemes Pete wants him to run. I'm all for getting rid of Norton, but I honestly dont think it would matter. Whoever is in the DC position will just follow Petes orders and run what he wants. Its hopeless.

Third, the personnel. Face it, theres no talent up front. Collinsworth said it all last night when he said Murray had all day back there and that in the NFL it takes players to win one on one matchups every once in awhile and the Seahawks front line couldnt. Its that obvious. They are just bad and have very little talent. I cant see where that can possibly improve. Snacks will help with the rotations and giving others time to rest, but other than that he will be irrelevant. Robinson? Moore? Not real confidence inspriring.

There is no fix this season. Buckle up and try to enjoy the ride because its going to be bumpy.

SeñorSeahawk

Reaction score
I think it just comes down to scheme. Yes we need a quality pass rusher but it will be hard to get one cheap or even at a reasonable price at this point. If we just use a little more press with the style of corners that we have. Stop giving these cushions. I don’t think the corners are that bad (aside from flowers) but even he seems like maybe he would do better if they used his size and length (maybe). Just be more aggressive if we don’t have a quality pass rusher then jam them and make the QB hold onto the ball a little longer to give the linemen more time. Just like social media pressured to let Russ cook there has to be some pressure to change the scheme up a bit. It’s not so much that we don’t have talent on defense.

Also

I know we are going to overreact but I feel if we look back and watch the game again you will see we had some plays where If it was any QB not names Kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson we would have sacked them. Gotta take into account the difficulty of sacking that guy when he’s that mobile and we don’t have that kind of talented linemen on the defensive end.

getnasty

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8tup50fu said:
LTH,

Jamal Adams seems like a guy who wants to play for a winning team. There's no reason to believe he won't sign here and were far from a sinking ship.

xray

Reaction score
Buck":1xr826mr said:
Need a quality pass rusher, someone that can get to the QB or makes the opposition’s O-line double team him, can’t give the opposing QB all the time in the world.
Dammit , I never thought of that :!: :D

LTH

Reaction score
xray":10v4f4r7 said:
Buck":10v4f4r7 said:
Dammit , I never thought of that :!: :D

LMAO!!!

Buck

Reaction score
Watching Rams and Bears...... how good would Donald or Mack look in a Seahawks jersey!

PNW

Reaction score
After watching Pete’s Monday presser he was asked about the Defensive issues and he said he’s in every Defensive meeting putting input into how they gameplan and making on the fly calls during games at times even, he’s completely influencing the defense. So no, changing the DC wouldn't help because Pete will continue to do the same things. The front office should have put together a better D-line.....there were plenty of pass rushers available in the off season. They were counting way too much on Taylor to help out, even though he has a metal rod in his leg from major surgery. I doubt he’s effective at all this year to be honest.

LTH

Reaction score
PNW":2gkvzfvy said:
After watching Pete’s Monday presser he was asked about the Defensive issues and he said he’s in every Defensive meeting putting input into how they gameplan and making on the fly calls during games at times even, he’s completely influencing the defense. So no, changing the DC wouldn't help because Pete will continue to do the same things. The front office should have put together a better D-line.....there were plenty of pass rushers available in the off season. They were counting way too much on Taylor to help out, even though he has a metal rod in his leg from major surgery. I doubt he’s effective at all this year to be honest.

That's the thing.... we dont really know how this is going to play out... Taylor could come in and just kick butt... maybe they were unaware that Taylor was set back as much as he was... it's easy to second guess sitting where we are...

There is clearly a reason why they are scheming the way they are I wish i could sit in on some of those D meetings and just understand what they are thinking...

I took what Pete said a little differently... He gave me the impression that he wasn't really happy with the way Norton called the game as he said that there should have been more pressure scheme wise in the 4rh quarter...he also said that he pretty much let Norton call the game... so there is some responsibility there for Norton ... Hopefully Carroll works with him and they get it squared away... Norton is in a tough position right now lets see how he works through it...that will tell if there needs to be a change...

LTH

TraderGary

Reaction score
SeñorSeahawk":1uezs3cz said:
I think it just comes down to scheme. Yes we need a quality pass rusher but it will be hard to get one cheap or even at a reasonable price at this point. If we just use a little more press with the style of corners that we have. Stop giving these cushions. I don’t think the corners are that bad (aside from flowers) but even he seems like maybe he would do better if they used his size and length (maybe). Just be more aggressive if we don’t have a quality pass rusher then jam them and make the QB hold onto the ball a little longer to give the linemen more time. Just like social media pressured to let Russ cook there has to be some pressure to change the scheme up a bit. It’s not so much that we don’t have talent on defense.

Also

I know we are going to overreact but I feel if we look back and watch the game again you will see we had some plays where If it was any QB not names Kyler Murray or Lamar Jackson we would have sacked them. Gotta take into account the difficulty of sacking that guy when he’s that mobile and we don’t have that kind of talented linemen on the defensive end.
Welcome SenorSeahawk, and excellent first post. I agree with you that the schemes we're running on defense is at the root of the problem and we need to start playing more aggressively with tighter coverages. Obviously what we've been doing is not working. Time to try something different. Nothing to lose. We couldn't possibly be worse than we have been running our current schemes.