The defense problem you choose.

What is the overall problem with the Defense?

• Total voters

sc85sis

Reaction score
Regarding Al Woods:
Cap casualty, or the Hawk's cafeteria budget running red ink?
He was a really good NT in short yardage.
Hawk's could really use that right now.
But again, he no longer wanted to play nose here. So it’s a moot point.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The Jamal Adams injury was crushing to Petes defense. He was the absolute catalyst to making it work. Without him there his D just does not work. The problem I have with Pete is it seem like there was no Plan B. He rolled the dice on one player and lost.

How so? The defense was getting destroyed through the air with Adams in there and they even showed signs of improvement when he was out.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
While I suspect the true purpose of the thread is another backhanded Bash Pete attempt but it does appear it is a tad early to make any firm decisions about the D except it does appear that there are coaching issues that may or may not get resolved, and a singular inability to adjust to correct their plan when something is working against them. There is some talent here on D and so I voted on the second option. So far I suspect from all I've seen that coach Hurrt is in over his head as a DC but perhaps things will prove to work themselves out before the end of the season.

The team has now played two games where they have looked better and better in each game and seemed to be building towards having a capable D. They certainly are not the LOB or the 2013 D but if they could get healthy we might be surprised by what they can do.

It has been a weird year for multiple injuries.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If we have learned anything at all about Pete he is a master at X's and O's and a master at Defense.

LTH

OMG! Did you just honestly say that? Guy gets outcoached a lot. He's a horrible game day coach thats slow to make any kind of in game adjustments. There were times he openly admitted to not even understanding what the other team was doing for cripes sake. As for a master at defense, a defense cant be that bad for so long with a master as a coach. I think the idea that Pete is supposed to be some kind of defensive genius is hogwash. When you have a player like Carlos Dunlap having to explain to the coaching staff that he is being used wrong and out of position, that idea goes out the window. A defensive genius should recognize and know such things.

Carroll got lucky with the defense in the LOB days which earned him the label of being a defensive minded coach. He hasent put a respectable unit on the field for years now.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I picked coaching and scheme. You can't tell me a better coach that's driven by results and adaptation wouldn't be a huge difference. Pete doesn't have the 2012 roster , that was a special squad at a different time. The league and offenses have evolved to take advantage of what Pete and co. want to do.

LTH

Reaction score
OMG! Did you just honestly say that? Guy gets outcoached a lot. He's a horrible game day coach thats slow to make any kind of in game adjustments. There were times he openly admitted to not even understanding what the other team was doing for cripes sake. As for a master at defense, a defense cant be that bad for so long with a master as a coach. I think the idea that Pete is supposed to be some kind of defensive genius is hogwash. When you have a player like Carlos Dunlap having to explain to the coaching staff that he is being used wrong and out of position, that idea goes out the window. A defensive genius should recognize and know such things.

Carroll got lucky with the defense in the LOB days which earned him the label of being a defensive minded coach. He hasent put a respectable unit on the field for years now.
Yeah I did. If you listen to coaches and players around the league talk about him he has that respect. You don't get respect like that in this league unless your good at what you do. If you look around the league there are very few that compare to Pete Carroll.

I just think your expectations are way to high, and that's fine I'm not judging you for that. You have your opinion and that's fine .

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yeah I did. If you listen to coaches and players around the league talk about him he has that respect. You don't get respect like that in this league unless your good at what you do. If you look around the league there are very few that compare to Pete Carroll.

I just think your expectations are way to high, and that's fine I'm not judging you for that. You have your opinion and that's fine .

LTH

Fair. I'm not arguing with you. I've never heard anybody say he was a great X and O's guy. I've heard many compliment him for being a great motivator and having his team up to play.

Its all good. Peace.

cymatica

Reaction score
The team has now played two games where they have looked better and better in each game and seemed to be building towards having a capable D. They certainly are not the LOB or the 2013 D but if they could get healthy we might be surprised by what they can do.

While I did think the defense was going to be better than last year, after a few games seeing some of the same problems. They did a few things better against a bad team(who had their highest scoring game against us), but QBs still have no problem dissecting the defense especially on 3rd downs. Yeah they look better against the run than last year, but still the same bad passing defense that's been an issue for several years.

Maybe Woolen and Spoon together with Adams will help, but that would just be a band-aid on on a bad scheme

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They focused so much on improving their run defense in the offseason that it seems at the detriment of their passing defense, especially 3rd down conversions. Seeing a lot of the same issues, but again, I can't judge too harshly until I see what the unit looks like fully healthy for a few games.

LTH

Reaction score
Fair. I'm not arguing with you. I've never heard anybody say he was a great X and O's guy. I've heard many compliment him for being a great motivator and having his team up to play.

Its all good. Peace.
I just think there are reasons that we don't know why Carroll plays the schemes he does. He is not saying why he is playing a lot of zone. Maybe it's because he doesn't feel his secondary isnt good enough to man up and not give up a big play.. maybe they are good enough but not exactly at this moment. Maybe he is playing percentages and doesnt care how much they give up through the air as long as they win. I don't know and I really believe that very few people know the reasons why. We will see what this D looks like with Spoon and Woolen let's see if he opens it up a bit with that combination.

LTH