Fixing the pass rush...

kmedic

Reaction score
I don't think Hill is cutting it as our "interior pass rusher". And Marsh from what I've seen has been playing mostly end on rushing downs. Bennett is doing ok on the inside, but he is more effective IMO if he could play outside with an effective inside rusher. Last season that guy was Clinton McDonald. I can remember him numerous times blowing into the backfield and wrecking havoc on the pocket. This forced the QB to step outside, usually right into the hands of Avril or Bennett. We don't have "that guy" anymore and unfortunately, I don't think the pass rush in general will be fixed until we can get someone like him.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The best way to fix the pass rush without adding a body in a trade.

Is take our best pass rushers off the field as starters.

Bennett and Avril.

My ideal starting line should be:

LEO: Schofield
3T: Williams
NT: Mebane
5T: McDaniel

Then in Nickel bring in:

Irvin
Hill (if available)
Bennett
Avril

Then as the game goes on and opponents are in passing mode keep Bennett and Avril on the field more in Base D.

But I think that is what we are missing from last year.

Our Defensive Scheme wore out the opponents O-Line and our Nickel D would flourish.

This year our D-Line is getting worn out by O-Lines and Bennett and Avril aren't finishing off plays like last year because they aren't as fresh late in the games.

So the easiest solution is just go back to a D-Line that will kick the opponents offensive lines ass throughout the first half and get a Nickel rotation that can come in fresh and make big energy plays.

Bennett's already paid so I think he'll to everything he can to help the team.

Avril is the one that needs to make the sacrifice since he's in his contract year but the fact that he has 0 sacks in 6 games, could convince him to being bench and going back to the formula of last years D-ine that was more productive for him.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1249946s said:
The best way to fix the pass rush without adding a body in a trade.

Is take our best pass rushers off the field as starters.

Bennett and Avril.

My ideal starting line should be:

LEO: Schofield
3T: Williams
NT: Mebane
5T: McDaniel

Then in Nickel bring in:

Irvin
Hill (if available)
Bennett
Avril

Then as the game goes on and opponents are in passing mode keep Bennett and Avril on the field more in Base D.

But I think that is what we are missing from last year.

Our Defensive Scheme wore out the opponents O-Line and our Nickel D would flourish.

This year our D-Line is getting worn out by O-Lines and Bennett and Avril aren't finishing off plays like last year because they aren't as fresh late in the games.

So the easiest solution is just go back to a D-Line that will kick the opponents offensive lines ass throughout the first half and get a Nickel rotation that can come in fresh and make big energy plays.

Bennett's already paid so I think he'll to everything he can to help the team.

Avril is the one that needs to make the sacrifice since he's in his contract year but the fact that he has 0 sacks in 6 games, could convince him to being bench and going back to the formula of last years D-ine that was more productive for him.

Agree completely!!!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread but it seems applicable here too. Bennett needs to be moved inside. Bennett can provide the interior pass rush that is severely lacking. This will push the QB to move sideways and Irvin, Avril, Schofield, or whoever will collect sacks. Right now guys like Rivers and Davis, etc are stepping up in the pocket and finding safety valves. They will continue to do that as long as there is no inside pass rush. Even last year, I thought Bennett was most effective from the inside. They used him in many situations as the LEO at times and he did well there too. Switch between him and Avril at LEO to keep them fresh. But in my layman's opinion, Bennett would be most effective in the 3-tech spot. McDaniel/Williams at 5-tech (Red's old role) could be another way to go. I thought that's the direction they were going prior to the season but somehow that got changed.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":laphmdfl said:
I mentioned this in another thread but it seems applicable here too. Bennett needs to be moved inside. Bennett can provide the interior pass rush that is severely lacking. This will push the QB to move sideways and Irvin, Avril, Schofield, or whoever will collect sacks. Right now guys like Rivers and Davis, etc are stepping up in the pocket and finding safety valves. They will continue to do that as long as there is no inside pass rush. Even last year, I thought Bennett was most effective from the inside. They used him in many situations as the LEO at times and he did well there too. Switch between him and Avril at LEO to keep them fresh. But in my layman's opinion, Bennett would be most effective in the 3-tech spot. McDaniel/Williams at 5-tech (Red's old role) could be another way to go. I thought that's the direction they were going prior to the season but somehow that got changed.

Wow, that's a brilliant take because it's simple, logical and practical. Thank you, I'm inclined to agree.

Tical21

Reaction score
Hopefully they can find a way to get something going from the interior. McDonald's sacks last year weren't from pass-rushing ability or moves, they were just from hustle and disengaging. When our DE's flushed the QB, or the QB would step up, McDonald was there. We are still getting a preliminary rush in many cases, but there is nobody else coming to finish the deal.

Largent80

Reaction score
I saw many a Hawk get juked out of their shoes yesterday by Austin. They were getting there, but they fell flat on their faces. I just re-watched the game. I also saw so many holds against out D-Line that it makes me not even want to watch.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
pehawk":jor9tajb said:
Before the Rams game I was actually okay with the pass rush. No, they weren't getting sacks, but they we're forcing the River's and Romo's of the world to play at their absolute pinnacle, physically and mentally. Sometimes you just get beat and have to tip your cap.

I think Marsh hurt a lot more than people realize. He would've had a good day yesterday, IMO. His tenacity and constant pursuit was hurrying things for the opposition. Hill's also been underrated with his play this year. He's been playing very well, IMO. Sounds like we get Hill back, so that should help a bit (be it substitution's or actual pressure).

In Pete's presser today he mentioned that the Hawks are going there's a "few thing's they're going to work on" in regards to the pressure. So, my question is what do you think that is?

If I had to guess, I bet KPL gets a bit more involved at the expense of Malcolm and Bruce ends up rushing more. I didn't like what I saw from Smith yesterday, at all. IMO a lot of the dink and dunk should've been his responsibility and he whiffed (I may be wrong on that). I cant see how KPL would be a downgrade and he's most likely faster than Smith, maybe, right?

I don't think it's blitzing, really. Especially not if Simon's ankle is serious and until Lane gets back.

Both Rivers and Romo had excellent days in terms of completion percentage and first downs, not to mention 0 turnovers. Not sure how you equate that to us creating pressure that effected them. We couldn't even sack Austin Davis! The guy completed 86% of his passes...sorry, but that speaks directly to our lack of pass rush. Looking Clemons is a lot more impactful than I think most people thought. It takes 4 good pass rushers to have an effective pass rush...2 inside, 2 outside. We are shorthanded, with a rag tag bunch of dudes still trying to figure it out...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
To me it seems the pass rush issues are eerily similar to those they had in 2012. They had Clemons and Bryant that year. Both got injured during that season. Clemons had 11 sacks that season but 4 came in one game. The Packer game. He had 7 sacks in the 15 remaining games. Irvin was the #2 sacks on the team with 8. I believe he had 3 against the Packers and 5 rest of the way. What they didn't have someone who provided interior pass rush. They brought in Bennett, Avril, McDaniel, Schofield, and McDonald. Problem seemed to be solved last year. McDonald left in offseason and they moved Bennett to the outside this year. They brought in Williams to replace McDonald. The problems of 2012 have come back again. Bringing Clemons back will not solve the real issue here unless he can play DT or inside. The issue is the lack of interior pass rush. The player to remedy that, Bennett, is already on the roster. He just needs to be put in that position.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
How about getting the refs to call holding? Seriously that's part of the problem and it's huge. Our ends get held on practically every drop-back pass. While the refs swallow their whistles when we're on D , they don't hesitate to call us on phantom holds.

I'm not a blame the refs guy, but practically every game has been like this. Hell on Denver's amazing last-minute drive there were back-to-back takedowns of our ends.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Disguise the Blitz. Delay the Blitz. Everytime we have blitzed this year we have shown our hand and got lost in the o-lineman scrum.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Another interesting idea would be the Seahawks going full 3-4 Base D without the LEO concept.

On the line:

Williams
Mebane
McDaniel

'Backers:

Irvin
Wright
Smith
Schofield

Kind of like my first post above but there wouldn't be a 4th down lineman... any of the 4 LBs could rush or none at all.

Bennett and Avril come into deep nickel situations as fresh as possible.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I agree on all counts, PE. Hopefully KPL gets a shot, allowing Irvin to rush the passer some.

Blitzing isn't the answer, it seems. It seems like we get carved when we blitz.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think we'd love to have Bennett back inside but we don't have the other pieces to make it work. Avril is a lot better with fewer snaps, we've played Irvin at OLB, Williams is hurt again and apparently they don't like Scruggs or Schofield as much as we were hoping. With the benefit of hindsight it sure would be nice to have Clem and Red instead of Harvin but it is what it is.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Pass rush has been lacking for sure, but I'm more concerned about Run D.

Last year, we would consistently stuff running backs at the line or tackle them for losses. 3rd and longs made life much easier for the pass rushers and the LoB.

That's not happening this year. Teams know the way beat us know is to pound the rock or dink and dunk on early downs to get into 3rd and manageable.

Until we get Wagner back or improvement by the D-line on 1st down, this trend will continue.