Pete Carroll praises Seahawks pass rush

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think that's what' Pete's pretty much been saying with Williams lately - mentioned it on the radio yesterday
Good to know. I don't really listen/watch the press conferences and interviews too much, but yeah this is one of the reasons why I think we do have a shot to go deep in the playoffs, if we stay healthy. It's not likely, but it's very possible. A healthy wildcard team always has at least a small chance (10-15%) of getting to the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Good to know. I don't really listen/watch the press conferences and interviews too much, but yeah this is one of the reasons why I think we do have a shot to go deep in the playoffs, if we stay healthy. It's not likely, but it's very possible. A healthy wildcard team always has at least a small chance (10-15%) of getting to the Super Bowl.
I think his exact-ish-kinda words were:

"How long's he been here? Like 6 weeks or something? He's getting better every week" -

somethin like that.....

sutz

Reaction score
D-line is kind of like O-line in that. The more they play together (and practice together, of course) the better they get overall. I prefer having 3-4 guys that can get 7-10 sacks each to having one guy that gets 25. Any single player can often get schemed out of his game. Having more guys that can get there is harder to game plan against.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Because no other team has tilted stats?

Khalil Mack had 6 sacks in one game against the Raiders, I believe.

He just stated in the very thread you quoted that every team has tilted stats due to a few breakout games. Lol

Polk738

Reaction score
This is pretty good considering the loss of Nwosu and not having a very solid contributor opposite of Mafe, I'm kinda done with Taylor, Clark was a disaster and I just don't think Jones is an edge rusher. I'm really hoping we see Levi Bell get a chance next season, I have a good feeling about him.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Different perception I guess. Seemed pretty black and white to me.
Chargers are at 6th in sacks. Khalil Mack had 6 in one game.

Doesn’t mean much unless you’re pulling outliers for every team.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Chargers are at 6th in sacks. Khalil Mack had 6 in one game.

Doesn’t mean much unless you’re pulling outliers for every team.

As he mentioned in his post.

I agree. The Seahawks ranking doesn't mean much without context.

themunn

Reaction score

Right but even if you take away those 6 sacks he still has as many sacks as our best player

Take Macks 6 sack game away and he still has 9 sacks (same as our sack leader Mafe) and top 20 in the league.

But even though they have less sacks you'd probably still rather have someone like Micah Parsons or Nick Bosa who have had less overlap sacks, but has delivered those sacks across more games

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Right but even if you take away those 6 sacks he still has as many sacks as our best player

Take Macks 6 sack game away and he still has 9 sacks (same as our sack leader Mafe) and top 20 in the league.

But even though they have less sacks you'd probably still rather have someone like Micah Parsons or Nick Bosa who have had less overlap sacks, but has delivered those sacks across more games
I’m not arguing that our pass rush is great. It has continued to develop this season which is promising.

I would be ecstatic if the Seahawks had a guy like JJ Watt or Maxx Crosby.

Mick063

Reaction score
Pass rush was good enough for hurries, and even potential sacks, but poor tackling technique allowed quarterbacks to evade sacks and extend plays. There were far too many occasions where the rush got home on time but couldn't finish the job and let the QB slip away. Even occasions where the pass rusher completely whiffed, not even touching the QB when he was within reach. To compound the problem, poor tackling by the secondary allowed for these whiffs to become even worse. What seemed like a sack suddenly becomes a chunk play.

Number 52 was a major violator of the above but certainly wasn't the only one. He got pressure alright. He just couldn't finish the job. He bounced off of a few quarterbacks (and running backs) and made them look like Ben Rothlisberger in the process. The "hurry" stat isn't always the best indicator of a pass rush.

Wagner, Brooks, and Mafe were sure tacklers. Witherspoon could handle everything but large running backs and tight ends. Michael Jackson could handle all sizes. Everyone else had more than their fair share of embarrassing moments. The worst tackling team under the Carroll tenure.

Last edited:

Latest posts