For 49er fans how many wins will your squad have?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Again...I don't predict records...but saying they went 6-10 in 2020 completely ignores WHY they went 6-10.

Had nothing to do with anything on the list. It was Injuries. Plain and simple. They set and NFL record for player games on IR that year. The years SURROUNDING 2020? SB before, NFCCG two years since.

Its about the injuries. That's why I said assuming they stay relatively healthy I'd expect them to contend for Division Crown again.

I couldn’t agree more over the injuries.

Add to that, the 49ers are flying home from LA when they learn that Santa Clara County had banned them from their own stadium and facilities. They got booted to Arizona with most players being housed away from family like an away game...

94Smith

Reaction score
And I know Jimmy and Nick Bosa were injured.
And George kittle
And deebo samuel
And tevin Coleman, Raheem Mostert , jamicheal hasty, Jeff Wilson
And Richard Sherman and Jaquaski tartt and K’wan Williams
And Dee Ford, Solomon thomas
Plus 10 other players on ir

1) the offensive line, with “no one else” played pretty darn good last year. Purdy
also has a quick release. The only new player, RT Colton mckivitz has played pretty good when asked to play LT for injuries and RT over the last two years

2) the defense might be not as good with Wilkes but will not “falter” to the level of the Seahawks 2022 . There is too much talent. Notice how there was no drop off from saleh to Ryan’s

3) the qb situation is pretty simple. Purdy will start if he is healthy. The back up will be decided in camp. Not sure it will divide the locker room as the true leaders aren’t in the qb room. Also none of the veterans have any long term loyalty to any of the qbs

4) so cmc will drop off a cliff? I can see him getting injured but they also have Elijah Mitchell who is pretty darn good and should spell him off

5) so javon Hargrave has an average season and the 49ers only have the 5th ranked defense instead of #1 overall? He was an addition to a d line and was not part of the puzzle last year

Look I can give you a losing season if that is your argument, but 5-12? That is downright bottom feeding and would require the 49ers to surpass their record setting injuries of 2020. To go from 13-4 to 5-12 without having massive injuries is never going to happen

bileever

Reaction score
And George kittle
And deebo samuel

1) the offensive line, with “no one else” played pretty darn good last year. Purdy
also has a quick release. The only new player, RT Colton mckivitz has played pretty good when asked to play LT for injuries and RT over the last two years

2) the defense might be not as good with Wilkes but will not “falter” to the level of the Seahawks 2022 . There is too much talent. Notice how there was no drop off from saleh to Ryan’s

3) the qb situation is pretty simple. Purdy will start if he is healthy. The back up will be decided in camp. Not sure it will divide the locker room as the true leaders aren’t in the qb room. Also none of the veterans have any long term loyalty to any of the qbs

4) so cmc will drop off a cliff? I can see him getting injured but they also have Elijah Mitchell who is pretty darn good and should spell him off

5) so javon Hargrave has an average season and the 49ers only have the 5th ranked defense instead of #1 overall? He was an addition to a d line and was not part of the puzzle last year

Look I can give you a losing season if that is your argument, but 5-12? That is downright bottom feeding and would require the 49ers to surpass their record setting injuries of 2020. To go from 13-4 to 5-12 without having massive injuries is never going to happen
All good points. I'm not saying these things will happen, just that stuff like that happens in the NFL all the time. Remember the 2015 Cowboys? They managed to go from 12-4 to 4-12 in one year. I'm sure they didn't see that coming. The Ravens had a season recently when they went from 10-6 to 5-11. And your own team, the 49ers in 2014 went from 12-4 to 8-8, then to 5-11 the next year. Shit happens.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
what if we stay healthy, more than 5 wins?
McCaffrey and Purdy both stay healthy and play well for most of the season, that’s likely going to be domination.
Can’t say I know what that looks like until it happens, but it is going to likely involve a shitload of yards, touchdowns and lots of Ws.
McCaffrey is a nightmare, a literal nightmare to defend in Shannys system.
Add Kittle to the mix of upside what if scenarios and the offense is a juggernaut.
I mean yeah I agree if you guys stay healthy then it’ll be a dogfight for first with the Hawks. If you suffer any key injuries then you guys can lose a lot of games this year amigo. Seattle has better stacked depth and can come out relatively unscathed even with a few injuries. Our secondary and receiving units are about as good as it gets

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
And George kittle
And deebo samuel

Just one time I would like to hear 49er fans actually stop blaming a poor season on injuries. Just once. We’ve seen other teams battle through injuries but when you get spanked it’s always the same shit

94Smith

Reaction score
Just one time I would like to hear 49er fans actually stop blaming a poor season on injuries. Just once. We’ve seen other teams battle through injuries but when you get spanked it’s always the same shit
There is no way the 2020 season was not due to injuries . 2019 sb loss, 2020 6-10, 2021 nfc loss, 2022 nfc loss . 2018 was Jimmie’s injury and not really a good team yet, 2017-2014 they were bad . When was the last time the Seahawks lost their starting qb to injury?

Weadoption

Reaction score
Wilson was such an iron man health wise i don’t think Hawks fans can relate really when it comes to qb health lol.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
There is no way the 2020 season was not due to injuries . 2019 sb loss, 2020 6-10, 2021 nfc loss, 2022 nfc loss . 2018 was Jimmie’s injury and not really a good team yet, 2017-2014 they were bad . When was the last time the Seahawks lost their starting qb to injury?
Huh? Jimmy G wasn’t all that great either all he threw were slants and screens but I mean yeah he was effective with it. Other teams had just as much if not more injuries to deal with

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I think @49fansinceBrodie's guess of 11-6 is decent. That would be winning about 64.7% of their games. When the season was 16 games, a 10-6 won 62.5% of its games, while an 11-5 team won 68.75% of its games. So 11-6 is more like 10-6 than it is like 11-5.

I consider the Gold Diggers significantly more likely to go 13-4 than 5-12. In fact, I consider them more likely to go 13-4 than 9-8 or worse. I think a lot of bad things would have to happen for the Gold Diggers to end up with a losing record.

To put 5-12 in perspective, does anyone really believe that, without a whole lot of bad-for-the-Gold-Diggers things happening, including injuries to key players, the 2023 Gold Diggers will have a record as bad as the 2022 Broncos? Keep in mind that the 2022-2023 AFC looks stronger than the 2022-2023 NFC, and the 2023 NFC West looks noticeably weaker than the 2022 AFC West. The Rams look weak, and the Cardinals look like one of the worst teams in the league.

I think Little Shanny in the Big Hat is wildly overrated, and I recognize the uncertainty around the Gold Diggers' quarterback situation, but I still see the 49ers as serious contenders for NFC champs for the 2023 season (playoffs in early 2024).

I still think the most likely outcome for this season is the Gold Diggers winning the NFC West again and the Seahawks being a wildcard again. I obviously hope the Seahawks can win the division, but I think we might still be a season away from that.

bileever

Reaction score
I still think the most likely outcome for this season is the Gold Diggers winning the NFC West again and the Seahawks being a wildcard again. I obviously hope the Seahawks can win the division, but I think we might still be a season away from that.
You're right, of course. We're just having fun trash talking the 49ers fans here. But seriously, @Weadoption and @94Smith and @49fansinceBrodie, we appreciate your perspective and good humor.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I acknowledged there were injuries in 2020. Injuries are part of the game, but I admit the 49ers had more than their fair share in 2020. But many teams overcome injuries. Shanahan's teams seem to fold up their tent pretty quickly when they encounter adversity. See, for example, 2017 and 2018.

And there are many ways for teams to have their season go up in flames. We've seen many a good team not reach their potential. Every year there's a team predicted to compete for the title that ends up with a losing record. I've also acknowledged that Shanahan is a genius. But he's also the same genius who's managed to lose two Super Bowls after having a lead late in the game.

I expect the 49ers to contend for the division title, and more. But even without injuries, there are always obstacles to overcome.

LOL. Thats a load of BS.

49ers have huge injuries EVERY year and win anyway. Brock Purdy was their THIRD QB. They didn't fold up their tent when they lost their starter in week 2 or their backup midseason. They have injuries all over the roster every year and they persevere.

2020 was just too much to overcome. It was a LUDICROUS number of injuries. Record setting even.

Yes...there are a number of ways a season can blow up, but the only way we've seen THIS team get derailed is injury. We'll see if that trend holds.

bileever

Reaction score
LOL. Thats a load of BS.
@Marvin49, we love you, too! Forgot to include you in my list of great 49er fans.

You should appreciate the fact that we fear the 49ers, which is why we want them to fail. I definitely think they are the team to beat in the NFC, and maybe the NFL as a whole.

For now, let us have our fantasy. And here's my new hope: that the 49ers' purchase of Leeds United and Paraag Marathe's new job as chairman of the club will negatively impact the running of the American football team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I mean yeah I agree if you guys stay healthy then it’ll be a dogfight for first with the Hawks. If you suffer any key injuries then you guys can lose a lot of games this year amigo. Seattle has better stacked depth and can come out relatively unscathed even with a few injuries. Our secondary and receiving units are about as good as it gets
LOL.

Just curious how you quantify "stacked depth".

Marvin49

Reaction score
Correct.

I'm sorry its annoying to some, but there is no way to look at 2020 realistically and NOT come conclusion that injuries were 99% of the issue.

As for injury "excuse", 49ers are among the league leaders in injuries nearly every single season....and yet they've been in the NFCCG 3 of the last 4 years. 2020 was just a bridge too far.

They have surrounded 2020 with NFCCGs, so what evidence do you have that would support a different conclusion?

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
LOL.

Just curious how you quantify "stacked depth".
Have you paid any attention to the last 2 drafts? In case you slept through them, Seattle absolutely loaded up thanks to Denver. Also thanks to free agency. Guys like Dre’Mont Jones, Julian Love and Uchenna Nwosu as well as Bobby and Reed and Bush are examples of good, solid free agents that we’ve managed to secure on roster

94Smith

Reaction score
Have you paid any attention to the last 2 drafts? In case you slept through them, Seattle absolutely loaded up thanks to Denver. Also thanks to free agency. Guys like Dre’Mont Jones, Julian Love and Uchenna Nwosu as well as Bobby and Reed and Bush are examples of good, solid free agents that we’ve managed to secure on roster
Check out the PFF grades on your boys Dre'mont Jones and Devin Bush

Jac

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks have closed the gap on the 49ers talent-wise, but you'll never be able to counter the 'they're rookies, they haven't played a game' counter argument. Personally, I can't wait to see JSN terrorize slot corners and move the chains over and over.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Yeah I still think it's your division this year, but I think it's gonna be a fun fun fun few years. We are rising and you guys are going to struggle to maintain. Looking forward to it.

Marvin49

Reaction score

Cool....and who do the 49ers have as backups?

This isn't a "we drafted a bunch of guys so we are better without even looking at your roster" situation. I'm not even arguing you are incorrect...just that you are making quite a few assumptions considering the number of injuries the 49ers get hit with every single year and then still play well with backups.