Foundation Players

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I listened to Brock on Danny and Gallant, and they talked about who are the foundation players going into the off season to build the team around, so I thought it'd make a good discussion.

IMO

Foundation
Russell
Brown
Carson
Penny
Dissly
Metcalf
Lockett
Wagner
Diggs
Griffin
Fant
Clowney resign

Position Upgrades to address in draft and FA
Right tackle
center
outside LB
DE (specifically edge rusher)
DT
CB ( I can't watch Flowers even one more down starting)

Debatable
Keep Britt
Keep Fluker
Keep McDougald
Keep KJ
Keep Kendricks
Offer Reed and/or Jefferson contracts

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I'd say this is a fair list. My only concern is Dissly. I love the kid, he's talented and had he been healthy all year I think we score a few more TD's and maybe win agame or two more, but it's that injury concern. I say he's fringe foundation but he has to have a full season under his belt and not get knocked out between Week 4-6.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":lxggyu2y said:
I'd say this is a fair list. My only concern is Dissly. I love the kid, he's talented and had he been healthy all year I think we score a few more TD's and maybe win agame or two more, but it's that injury concern. I say he's fringe foundation but he has to have a full season under his belt and not get knocked out between Week 4-6.
Agreed. Hes had two bad injuries and although there is a chance he could turn it around I dont think you can bet on it. Hoping they sign a FA to address the need. Wilson does well with a good TE.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":f6u6o51y said:

For sure, my list assumes good health.......but Dissly's talent and fit for what we do on offense (TE that blocks AND catches well) is IMO what makes him a definitely foundation player going forward.

But yes, he desperately needs to show us he can stay healthy for an entire season.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":u8nshbr7 said:
Seahawk_Dan":u8nshbr7 said:

For sure, my list assumes good health.......but Dissly's talent and fit for what we do on offense (TE that blocks AND catches well) is IMO what makes him a definitely foundation player going forward.

But yes, he desperately needs to show us he can stay healthy for an entire season.
He can be a real weapon, it's all there. I'll sacrifice anything to the football gods if he stays healthy for one season and I almost guarantee that opposing defenses will not be able to defend him as they focus on Locket, DK, Carson, Russell, or even Homer out of the backfield.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm signing Fant too, as I believe his price will be worthy of a roster spot!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think Fant and Mcdougal are really important going forward. I am hoping Fant is our right tackle next year. Mcdougal and Diggs are so much better than anything else we put out at safety this year.
Hopefully Blair can step up next year as well.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1x172njn said:
I'm signing Fant too, as I believe his price will be worthy of a roster spot!

I dunno man, for a lot less money you could get me (60 years old, handicapped, overweight) and not lose very much production. I'm pretty sure I can whiff blocks as good as Fant.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2hywuwh5 said:
I think Fant and Mcdougal are really important going forward. I am hoping Fant is our right tackle next year. Mcdougal and Diggs are so much better than anything else we put out at safety this year.
Hopefully Blair can step up next year as well.

I agree on Fant, especially if he can move to RT so we don't have to use a draft pick or find a starter in FA.

But he also gives us success using him as a 6th O-lineman, so hard to say what Pete's plan for George is going forward. But sure, I'll add him to the foundational players.

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
For sure I want to keep McDougald : he brings a certain swagger and toughness that we do need (see the tackles on Aaron Jones on a short yardage play). Fant at the right price is viable : back up at both tackles and can play the 6th lineman if ever we have a better RT than him. Flukers does not really bother me.

Is KJ a FA? If so, let's resign him for 1-2 years I would say. I'm with OP : make an offer for Reed (even though he did not play like he used to last year) and Jefferson.

And yeah, Flowers is not the answer. I have been disappoint by him this year. But we've got to remind ourselves that he was late pick as a S if I am not mistaken.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawks-in-qc":3pcst7go said:
For sure I want to keep McDougald : he brings a certain swagger and toughness that we do need (see the tackles on Aaron Jones on a short yardage play). Fant at the right price is viable : back up at both tackles and can play the 6th lineman if ever we have a better RT than him. Flukers does not really bother me.

Is KJ a FA? If so, let's resign him for 1-2 years I would say. I'm with OP : make an offer for Reed (even though he did not play like he used to last year) and Jefferson.

And yeah, Flowers is not the answer. I have been disappoint by him this year. But we've got to remind ourselves that he was late pick as a S if I am not mistaken.

I'm torn on McDougald. He's solid for sure, and he's one of the defensive leaders.

But IMO if Pete ever wants to get back to playing his smothering physical cover three defense, he needs a bigger hitter SS than McDougald.

Maybe that's Blair once he gets more experience. But either way McDougald's solid, but he doesn't make enough plays for me to call him a solid lock foundation player. I think we can do better.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I didn't see Ethan Pocic on your list. I'm thinking he is in the Debatable category.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like your list. I think the guard spots need a massive upgrade as well at least at one of them if you're married to the philosophy you want to run, which Pete obviously is. When healthy Iupati and Fluker were ok but another year older and neither were dominant. I would be thrilled with a new center, one new guard, Brown back and healthy, competition at right Tackle and see how the line plays out. They can't play next year with this conservative approach and not have the line much better.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bmr9h6z said:
I listened to Brock on Danny and Gallant, and they talked about who are the foundation players going into the off season to build the team around, so I thought it'd make a good discussion.

IMO

Foundation
Russell
Brown
Carson
Penny
Dissly
Metcalf
Lockett
Wagner
Diggs
Griffin
Fant
Clowney resign

Position Upgrades to address in draft and FA
Right tackle
center
outside LB
DE (specifically edge rusher)
DT
CB ( I can't watch Flowers even one more down starting)

Debatable
Keep Britt
Keep Fluker
Keep McDougald
Keep KJ
Keep Kendricks
Offer Reed and/or Jefferson contracts

Agree with your list, I think I'd add McDougald to the core, especially making the assumption Diggs is healthy. He looks like a much different player when he's able to play around the LOS and even mentioned this.

Blair and Amadi need to take big steps forward this offseason. Especially Amadi at the nickel because I don't think we can handle another season of base defense for 80% of the game. That or they sign a competent nickel CB however Pete mentioned he liked what he saw from him when finally given a chance.

Agree with you on Flowers, he had a few 'ok' games but was a consistent liability down the stretch. He is hesitant to support defending the run, uses an enormous cushion, is a poor tackler, and has limited ball skills. You expect his CB spot to give up passes in the scheme but 1) needs to contest much better 2) attack the ball in the air 3) immediately wrap up the receiver to limit YAC. He didn't really do any of that this year...

Finding an immediate upgrade at edge rusher is probably priority #1 too, outside of locking up Clowney long term. Him and Wagner were the defense this year, some flashes from Diggs and Shaq, but last night they were the only two people consistently being disruptive. The rest of the DL looked fat and slow, only using power rushes.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
For those ready to move on from Flowers remember we felt the same about Griffin last year. We need competition and I'm sure they draft a CB or two but I'm not ready to move on yet.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1sxqqkh4 said:
For those ready to move on from Flowers remember we felt the same about Griffin last year. We need competition and I'm sure they draft a CB or two but I'm not ready to move on yet.

Griffin showed his potential with a great rookie year, and most of his inconsistency last year was due to switching sides, becoming the #1 CB and not having much help on the back end.

Flowers for two years now at the WEAKER CB position on this defense has vacillated from mediocre to terrible.

Not the same for me to keep comparing him to Griffin. He's a safety that Pete tried to convert to corner and still struggles with the basics of playing the position...........not good enough when you consider yourself a SB caliber team. We don't have another two years to see if Flowers can develop. We just don't.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Pete was in love with Flowers size for a CB, rather than his potential ability to play CB.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1216831584633942016[/tweet]

............................................... this could develop into something interesting.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Hey George, you look better as a RT. :irishdrinkers:

Jville":3kjps7yd said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1216831584633942016[/tweet]

............................................... this could develop into something interesting.

Latest posts