Franchise Geno

Spohawks

Reaction score
Just as a heads up, Geno is not sniffing the tag. I love what he is doing but 1 year wonder boy isn't a sexy signing.

He will test the market and sign to compete for a starting job some where else. The Seahawks hit a gold mine with a top 3 pick in a QB rich draft...they will be selecting a QB with that top pick.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Just as a heads up, Geno is not sniffing the tag. I love what he is doing but 1 year wonder boy isn't a sexy signing.

He will test the market and sign to compete for a starting job some where else. The Seahawks hit a gold mine with a top 3 pick in a QB rich draft...they will be selecting a QB with that top pick.
Agreed, we don't gave the cap space to franchise Geno for one.

GemCity

Reaction score

I pray you’re wrong.

If Geno can continue playing like this, he needs to be here so we can focus on the defensive side of the ball in this upcoming draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd rather do a 2-3 year front loaded contract where the dead cap is smaller and smaller in year 2 and 3 with some incentives to GET to 30-35M, as opposed to franchising him and having the entire salary count against the cap.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Because of Genos age, I would not franchise him or give him a large contract. I would try to trade him for a great De or Dt.

You can't trade a free agent, the trade deadline for this season has already passed, and Smith is on a one-year contract. So either the Seahawks give Smith a contract extension or they can't even trade him, much less "for a great DE or DT."

The only way to trade Geno is to trade him almost immediately... because after three more games as our QB, he's an Unrestricted Free Agent.

The trade deadline for this season was over a month and a half ago (November 1), so there's no way to trade him almost immediately.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
2022 Geno is the difference between rebuilding and retooling. If Geno had played this season like Jets Geno or even backup Geno, this team is in full rebuild and probably looking at 2 potentially top 5 picks. Because he has played like he has, QB is not necessarily perceived as a position of need. That is in this current context and time. If he isn’t a member of this team come 2023, then QB becomes a major hole on a team with numerous holes.

Can we get another 2-3 productive years out of Geno? I believe so. Will signing him to a 2-3 year contract hinder this teams salary cap? I doubt we can sign him for less than $30 million. It’s the nature of the beast. Market value for starting QBs is that threshold. Buying a car, a house or pretty much any big ticket item already has a value attached no matter what you want to pay or even think it should be worth.

Geno will get $30 million dollars from some team. Is it in Seattle on a team that he is comfortable within the system and has shown some success? Or is it on another team where he will start from scratch on learning the system and personnel?
If he leaves, then we are at ground zero at the QB position along with almost an entire defense that need’s retooling.

Resigning Geno gives this team the luxury of picking a young guy to sit for a couple years behind Geno while allowing the QB position to in effect sort itself out without the hope and prayers that a draft pick can go from day one. Lock could be that guy or it could be a 2023 draft pick. If Lock is the developmental guy then he too needs to be signed in the offseason.

I would feel extremely comfortable if they resigned both of these guys and used free agency and 2023 draft capital on the defensive side of the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hopefully they do RE-SIGN him, just not to a massive deal. A couple years at a decent number, throw in some incentives etc.

GemCity

Reaction score
Hopefully they do RE-SIGN him, just not to a massive deal. A couple years at a decent number, throw in some incentives etc.
Agreed. I’m not feeling another crippling deal to a QB.

I’ve truly bought into having a “serviceable” QB at the helm, a powerful run game, and a stifling defense.

If our first four picks are D-Line and LB, I’d be a happy camper.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We listened to MUCH of the fanbase freaking out about a big QB contract. Do we really need to do that again? nope
If he wants huge $, have at it Geno. I get the feeling he will be reasonable, but you can never truly predict what an athlete will do in the long run. Esp. depending on who his agent is.

BASF

Reaction score
The Seahawks hit a gold mine with a top 3 pick in a QB rich draft...they will be selecting a QB with that top pick.
This "QB rich draft" was called that before the season played out. Almost every single touted QB to start the season has played far below expectations. You have Stroud and Young at the top then a whole bunch of potential QBs who have performed poorly against decent competition. Looking at some of the game logs of the guys in the top ten of most rankings say that the smart money is on them returning to school to see if they can improve and increase their draft stock in 2024. Bo Nix performed way above what most people thought, but I doubt he is taken before the third round.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Maybe, but this wouldn't preclude giving Geno a 1-2 year contract so we wouldn't have to regress playing a rookie QB allowing him to sit and learn for a year or two.

I agree that Geno's value is probably more here than elsewhere, so him garnering a lot of free agent interest might not be what his agent and he think it is.

But like I've said before, all it takes is one dumb GM and team to think he's the answer, and there are a LOT of bad teams in desperate need of a good QB.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else, but taking a QB in the top 3 would make me very nervous. Just look at the last several years of very high draft picks on QB's. Defense Defense Defense
I agree that its an arms race and the Hawks have a .22 and everyone else has a tank.

However IMO, the Seahawks are thinking that they are not exactly at the Super Bowl level yet. Give the current rookies 1 more year, next years rookies a full year and make their run the following year.

That gives the #3 pick QB a chance to develop.

Every body wants defence, but that Oline is giving Geno zero time! They can draft Joe Montana Jr and it won't matter if he has constant pressure.

massari

Reaction score
I don't know about everyone else, but taking a QB in the top 3 would make me very nervous. Just look at the last several years of very high draft picks on QB's. Defense Defense Defense
I don't think it's as bad as it seems. It's not like other positions don't become busts.

QBs taken top 15 Since 2017:

Not busts
Mahomes
Watson
Allen
Kyler
Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Lawrence
Mac Jones - pro bowl

Too early to tell
Lance-played well but injured
Fields-starting to play well

Busts
Daniel Jones
Z.Wilson
Mayfield
Darnold
Trubisky
Rosen

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think it's as bad as some believe. It's not like other positions don't become busts.

QBs taken top 15 Since 2017:

Studs:
Mahomes
Watson
Allen
Kyler
Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Lawrence
Mac Jones - pro bowl

Too early to tell:
Lance
Fields
Z.Wilson

Busts:
Daniel Jones
Mayfield
Darnold
Rosen
Trubisky

No way I'd put Murray, Lawrence and Jones in the studs category, and before this year Tua either until the Dolphins spend a bajillion dollars on TE's and WR's to help him.

I think the hit rate in top 15 QB's taken is less than 20%, and that's as just adequate NFL starters, elite is even less.

But I trust Schneider in evaluating QB's, if indeed all the rumors were true that he was trying his hardest to get Mahomes and Allen when they came out.

massari

Reaction score
No way I'd put Murray, Lawrence and Jones in the studs category, and before this year Tua either until the Dolphins spend a bajillion dollars on TE's and WR's to help him.

I think the hit rate in top 15 QB's taken is less than 20%, and that's as just adequate NFL starters, elite is even less.

But I trust Schneider in evaluating QB's, if indeed all the rumors were true that he was trying his hardest to get Mahomes and Allen when they came out.
Edited to "not busts" for nit picking

If you want a QB, they're going to have to pick one in the 1st. After that, it's incredibly rare for them to actually pan out.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Edited to "not busts" for nit picking

If you want a QB, they're going to have to pick one in the 1st. After that, it's incredibly rare for them to actually pan out.

Most of the great QB's in the league, past and present aren't top 10 picks, I think that's our point in this conversation.

What we need to be talking about here aren't the QB's, it's do we trust John and Pete's evaluation and scouting processes to pick the next franchise QB.

Do you trust them?

massari

Reaction score
Most of the great QB's in the league, past and present aren't top 10 picks, I think that's our point in this conversation.
Out of all the QBs taken after round 1 in the past 5 years (2017-2021), Jalen Hurts is the only guy to make it.

Out of all the 82 QBs taken past round 1 2012-2021 (excluded the 2022 draft class since it's their rookie seasons), only 6 are worth mentioning:

Wilson (2012)
Cousins (2012)
Foles (2012)
Carr (2014)
Garoppolo (2014)
Dak (2016)

Excluded Geno considering it took him a decade to do actually something

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Out of all the QBs taken after round 1 in the past 5 years (2017-2021), Jalen Hurts is the only guy to make it.

Out of all the 82 QBs taken past round 1 2012-2021, only 6 are worth mentioning:

Wilson (2012)
Cousins (2012)
Foles (2012)
Carr (2014)
Garoppolo (2014)
Dak (2016)

Excluded Geno considering it took him a decade to do actually something

And excluded the 2022 draft class since it's their rookie seasons

I said top 10 picks.

I assume this conversation is about our top 5 Denver pick. If it isn't? Then I'm with most of you who'd like us to draft a QB high.

Again, this IMO isn't a conversation about QB's, it's a conversation about do we trust a generational high number of picks to Pete and John to use the top 5 or #17 on our next franchise QB.

I trust Schneider, but I don't trust Pete not to meddle. So I'm torn really,