Franchising Cousins is the right move, huh?

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":2d8mfcss said:
I've often pegged Cousin's as a poor mans Hass, so I can see it.

I said a while back that 2015 Cousins reminds me a ton of 2002 Hasselbeck. Which is a good omen for Cousins, but I'm glad Seattle didn't have to deal with Hasselbeck hitting UFA right after that season. Hasselbeck was on an team friendly contract that allowed to them to extend him for one of the following team options.

The Seahawks' options were for a $4.5 million, one-year contract; the $10.5 million, two-year contract; or an $18.5 million, three-year contract that would have included a $5 million signing bonus.

Seattle chose option 2. To put those numbers in perspective, the highest paid QBs in the NFL earned about $10m APY from 2002-2003. Hass earned about half that amount, so in today's dollars it would be like signing a 2/22 contract.

Seattle was lucky to have those team options attached to Hasselbeck's contract (which was drawn up after he was traded to Seattle in 2001). If Hass had been a UFA after 2002 it would have been pretty much the exact same situation as Cousins is in now, and would have been paid considerably more money.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":16nh4okf said:
Washington would be dumb not to franchise him. Let him prove it again, then get the payday.

If they decide not to, I wonder if Snyder makes a call to New Orleans for Brees.
I agree they might have to do it but no QB has ever done less for so much. Cousins does not deserve a contract like that even if it is only 1 year!