Friction, greed, and Ciara

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A whole lot of dramatic nonsense.

The team is still a good team & has stayed close in every game this season. There is however an obvious execution problem with the O and the D isn't finishing. the team just needs to string together a few tough Ws and to get their mojo back and things will right themselves. Kicking the Digits rear end this coming game will be a good start.

Ciara isn't the problem, Bevell and a woefully weak OLine for sure are. Fixing the defensive miscues will also help prevent the now regular 4th Q swoon.

Crizilla

Reaction score
11-5 fellas

thats our only hope

just sit back and enjoy. If it happens it happens if it doesnt it doesnt

just lay back and smoke some weed and it will all be good fellas

erik2690

Reaction score
Just to give some context this is the writer who went after Lynch in a big way (“unprofessional dick” he called him). He's not exactly a great football writer or anything, now maybe you still agree, but that's just some context of who this dude is.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":2wpw6x3t said:
But Russell told us that there was no friction with Ciara.

post-14251-Eddie-Murphy-I-see-what-you-di-H6Nw.jpeg

joeseahawks

Reaction score
NY Post !!! 'nuff said. Come on now people ... respect yourself more.
We need the NY Post telling us what's going on ?

The only fix I see right now is ... Pete needs to unleash Russell and let him throw more and quick throws. Yes, this might lead to INTs, but it will also lead to fewer holding penalties, more first downs, happier receivers, more sustained drives, fresher defense in the 4th, ... etc. We are like 2 first downs away from winning 2-3 more (Carolina, St Louis, Cincy) games ... Come on Pete, grow some balls and let Russell play QB. And if it doesn't workout this year, Russell would have gained valuable experience for next year.
Pete, let's air it out ... Free Russell ... free Russell ...

Rocket

Reaction score
StoneCold":2u4nugom said:
Hawks have 3 problems, none of which are mentioned in the OP.

1. Teams have figured out Cover 3. Lots of teams run Cover 3 because the Hawks have had so much success with it. Teams now see it and scheme for it regularly. We are working on adjusting, but so far it has not clicked. Is that personnel or coaching?

2. We have a young and inexperienced Oline which may or may not be contributing to Lynch being off. He may just be getting old, but it's hard to tell from the last game when we start first and 20 to 25 in the first 4 drives. I was hoping to see improvements in the line, but we shot ourselves in the foot. If it isn't the line making him look a step off we may have 3 and 1/2 problems.

3. They have figured out the read option. Too many teams were busting people up with the RO and forced teams to account for it, and they've been very disciplined.

We have the talent, but do we have the will to make the adjustments and take our game to the next level? I think we do, but I don't know if we'll get it done this year. Might not get it working until next year.

That said, 11-5 is still alive.
Sounds like we need creative coaches, on BOTH sides of the ball. We got the Beave and a rookie.
Do they have the stuff to be creative?

WilliamCooper

Reaction score
Tony Romo/Jessica Simpson controversy. It took Romo years to overcome that. They're all gym rats until they get paid and become celebrity QBs. Bill Parcells said a celebrity QB will destroy a locker room.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
StoneCold":2bsxjcc0 said:

1. Teams have figured out Cover 3. Lots of teams run Cover 3 because the Hawks have had so much success with it. Teams now see it and scheme for it regularly. We are working on adjusting, but so far it has not clicked. Is that personnel or coaching?

2. We have a young and inexperienced Oline which may or may not be contributing to Lynch being off. He may just be getting old, but it's hard to tell from the last game when we start first and 20 to 25 in the first 4 drives. I was hoping to see improvements in the line, but we shot ourselves in the foot. If it isn't the line making him look a step off we may have 3 and 1/2 problems.

3. They have figured out the read option. Too many teams were busting people up with the RO and forced teams to account for it, and they've been very disciplined.

We have the talent, but do we have the will to make the adjustments and take our game to the next level? I think we do, but I don't know if we'll get it done this year. Might not get it working until next year.

The cover 3 has been around for a very, very, very long time. Teams aren't just 'figuring it out' all of the sudden. We may do a few things differently, like having a stand up pass rushers, and sending Chancellor down into the box, almost like a fourth linebacker -- however the core concepts are the same as they always have been. I think what we are lacking is a good second corner -- Williams has been lackluster, whenever teams need a big play it always seems like they look his direction. Before Maxwell, and Browner did a great job at manning that second corner slot, Williams is a clear step down from those two not only from a physicality standpoint, but also from a technique standpoint, especially when it comes to press coverage. Another thing I've been noticing is a lack of bump and run, our corners seem to be playing further off the LOS than I ever remember. I also feel as if Sherman has been taking far more risk than he normally does, almost as if he is pressing.

I think number three is more of a teams have figured out Wilson scenerio. Not only in the run game but also the pass games I feel as if teams are approaching him differently. They are doing a good job of keeping him locked down in the pocket. He hasn't had much of an oportunity for his famous scrambling drills this season. They are also catching onto the fact that he never was known for keeping the RO very often. Many of those shotgun runs were never designed to be RO plays in the first place. I think teams have caught on to this.

chris98251

Reaction score
This team was just in a Super Bowl, were in the prime of our key players careers, we should not be 5 plays away from winning games, we should be beating teams up right now. No excuses for the team we have on the field right now other then the Staff getting things right and putting them in the right position to win games. I have used the term playing not to lose rather then playing to win, were doing that in spades right now all over and that mind set is now starting to be emulated by players.

With our talent level we should not have to pray for a win at the end of a game, we should be saying a prayer for the opposing team to recover.

AVL

Reaction score
Total obsession with unrealistic expectations seems so normal around here.

mrt144

Reaction score
AVL":i9pv9ibz said:

Youd think some of these people had only started watching in 2012 and have no frame of reference to gauge a down season on.

StoneCold

Reaction score
mrt144":38e72mik said:
AVL":38e72mik said:

Youd think some of these people had only started watching in 2012 and have no frame of reference to gauge a down season on.

I'm sure this is not original, but sometimes it feels like .fret around here.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4txuzhi9 said:
StoneCold":4txuzhi9 said:

The cover 3 has been around for a very, very, very long time. Teams aren't just 'figuring it out' all of the sudden. We may do a few things differently, like having a stand up pass rushers, and sending Chancellor down into the box, almost like a fourth linebacker -- however the core concepts are the same as they always have been. I think what we are lacking is a good second corner -- Williams has been lackluster, whenever teams need a big play it always seems like they look his direction. Before Maxwell, and Browner did a great job at manning that second corner slot, Williams is a clear step down from those two not only from a physicality standpoint, but also from a technique standpoint, especially when it comes to press coverage. Another thing I've been noticing is a lack of bump and run, our corners seem to be playing further off the LOS than I ever remember. I also feel as if Sherman has been taking far more risk than he normally does, almost as if he is pressing.

I think number three is more of a teams have figured out Wilson scenerio. Not only in the run game but also the pass games I feel as if teams are approaching him differently. They are doing a good job of keeping him locked down in the pocket. He hasn't had much of an oportunity for his famous scrambling drills this season. They are also catching onto the fact that he never was known for keeping the RO very often. Many of those shotgun runs were never designed to be RO plays in the first place. I think teams have caught on to this.

I stole most of my post from Holmgren and Millen, though I've been thinking it since the Bengals game when twice a tight end was wide open on a seam route. The seam is one of the holes in a cover 3. I noticed it in the Lions game and of course the Panthers. In the last two years a wide open receiver was unusual. We would give up short passes underneath and make a team run 15 plays to go 80 yards. Somewhere along the line we started giving up big yards passing and mostly over the middle. It may be Williams, I'm no expert at analyzing his play. That side (or player as Sherm has been covering their No. 1) is always going to get more action with Sherman opposite him. Likely it's a combination.

In games where adjustments need to be made it's the opponent whose strategy is not working that makes the first move. You don't change what you're doing when it's working, ie 2 Super Bowls. This year has proven to be a real test for Pete and the players. It's our turn to adjust. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season unfolds.

11-5 is still alive.

Rob12

Reaction score
I don't know why Russ has struggled so much this season and neither does the NY Times. What I do know is it's gut check time for him. Is he truly going to be a leader of this team?

mrt144

Reaction score
Rob12":1rfs1kzi said:
I don't know why Russ has struggled so much this season and neither does the NY Times. What I do know is it's gut check time for him. Is he truly going to be a leader of this team?

How will you ever know if he is truly a leader?

erik2690

Reaction score
Rob12":1odd3ph0 said:

The NY Post and NY Times are two VERY different things. This is the author who called Lynch a "dick" for not talking.

Latest posts