Frustrating offseason

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":i4q5tcn5 said:
Looking forward to seeing them draft some guy nobody has ever heard of. Only to hear a bunch of people freak out, and then to see the same player contribute in the future.
Turns out these guys know a little about talent evaluation. Just sayin

Irvin sucks. Carpenter sucks. Michael sucks.

Thank god for fifth rounders

sutz

Reaction score
Well, if you carry the college comparison down to the player level, freshmen are almost never expected to contribute much, sophs a bit more and so on. So a school is lucky to get two full years out of any given player out of HS. Even if you redshirt someone, the college equivavlent to the Practice Squad, you don't get an extra year of playing time.

So, when we draft someone, we don't really expect them to contribute much his rookie season, so things like 'upside' and 'ceiling' and 'coachability' are very important. You always ask: Is this a buy who will emerge after coaching to be a good player in 2-3 years? A player's attitude, work effort, and how he listens during interviews matter almost as much, if not more, than raw physical talent. If we continue to play well, and continue to draft in the 30's or even high 20's for the next several years, which IMHO is highly probable, we'll be having these 'boring' drafts to live with, and I'm fine with that.

It's been said many times, our hits this year have not been that significant, and in almost all cases, we have guys in the pipeline ready to step in and step up.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Im not at all frustrated. Then again I don't desire to fire Bevell or Pete after a loss like some do around here.

OP Bro, we have a draft coming up and basically had a redshirt draft class last year. We are fine.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
This is what winning teams do once they reach the top to stay there: they are willing to let expendable players leave, they don't throw gobs of money at the big name free agents, and they keep a constant influx of talent by drafting well.

Everything points to this draft as being one of the best in years and particularly deep at WR and OL, which are arguably our two biggest needs. We are all but certain to get some starting-caliber players out of this one.

And as for depth, how do you know that some of the players we have now aren't ready to take the next step? Guys like Scruggs, Mayowa, even Boatwright and Hauptmann could surprise us all this preseason. I don't think many people were excited to see Sherman get his first start in 2011 after Trufant AND Thurmond got hurt, but he worked out pretty well. The guys running things down in Renton have a pretty good eye for talent and have seen a lot more of this tram's roster than we have. I'll bet they already have their eye on a player or two that will "come out of nowhere" this year.

Frustrating? Not in the least.

grizbob

Reaction score
Just think how frustrating it would be if the ninners had won :stirthepot:

TwilightError

Reaction score
Being frustrated is not a sign of distrust towards JSPC. C'mon.

I admit it, I am a little frustrated that we have lost so many good players and have not signed any, not one, exciting FA:s. It does not mean that I dont trust Carroll and Schneider.. I know this is the life of a Super Bowl winner and I know we cant have a roster like we had last season all the time. It is pretty unique to have such depth and its impossible to maintain for long in a salary cap league. We will still have a brilliant roster, but any injuries will hit us harder than they did last season.

The key is to get Sherm and Earl extended, but I admit that waiting for that is not as exciting than signing a Harvin from somewhere ;) it is what it is.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for 49er fans :D we used our unique opportunity, they did not.

Largent80

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1wou2286 said:
grizbob":1wou2286 said:

Wait, before I do that, I have to pretend it's 1986 again. Let me see, where did I put my leg warmers and "Family Ties" VHS box set?

:lol:

CANHawk

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2ihxwrix said:
This is what winning teams do once they reach the top to stay there: they are willing to let expendable players leave, they don't throw gobs of money at the big name free agents, and they keep a constant influx of talent by drafting well.

Everything points to this draft as being one of the best in years and particularly deep at WR and OL, which are arguably our two biggest needs. We are all but certain to get some starting-caliber players out of this one.

And as for depth, how do you know that some of the players we have now aren't ready to take the next step? Guys like Scruggs, Mayowa, even Boatwright and Hauptmann could surprise us all this preseason. I don't think many people were excited to see Sherman get his first start in 2011 after Trufant AND Thurmond got hurt, but he worked out pretty well. The guys running things down in Renton have a pretty good eye for talent and have seen a lot more of this tram's roster than we have. I'll bet they already have their eye on a player or two that will "come out of nowhere" this year.

It seems that some people haven't quite adapted to life at the top of the heap yet. It's a different lifestyle. LOSER teams sell out by signing up expensive FA's trying to shortcut their way to a championship.

*cough* Denver *cough cough*

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CANHawk":eo1839le said:
Shadowhawk":eo1839le said:

It seems that some people haven't quite adapted to life at the top of the heap yet. It's a different lifestyle. LOSER teams sell out by signing up expensive FA's trying to shortcut their way to a championship.

*cough* Denver *cough cough*
Third time has to be the charm right?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2p6mo2ju said:
Still love my Hawks think they can still extend Earl and Sherm but, Is anyone else as frustrated about this offseason as I am right now. I mean I knew we were gonna lose some of our guys, but I did not think we would lose, what, 12 of our free agents. Plus this is one offseason where guys seem to come visit and leave without a contract. That usually hasn't been the case with this front office. Also, we have yet to really fill any of those spots that were vacated by departing players and yes I know the draft is upcoming, but you can't fill every need in the draft. And yes I know I'll be bashed for being negative, but I was just expecting a lot more from this offseason. I am just starting to get worried. Okay, rant over for now.

my sentiments exactly. now they better extend earl and sherm, otherwise they honestly would have had wasted this offseason.

biggest blunder so far: not resigning giacomini. he signed in NY for 4 years at 18m. we could easily have had him at that price or less. we have no state income tax here and the COL is much less. we never even made an offer to him. sad. anybody who watched the whole season realizes how important it was to get him back after he missed 8 weeks. he stabilized the right side after RW was getting assaulted those 8 weeks.

i understand their philosophy of speed and youth, but sometimes, u just have to keep crucial players until you have their replacements handy. right now we dont have breno's replacement, and no bowie/bailey are TERRIBLE at RT. no argument if u watched the games. they are not the solution at RT, maybe at guard though. this puts us in a situation of probably having to draft RT in the first round or second round, when we could be targeting an elite OG, WR, DT or DE instead. just completely unnecessary if we had extended breno at 4m/year.

but.... atleast we didnt over-extend ourselves by over-paying older, declining, "big name" players. that is what teams like the raiders and jaguars (and broncos hahahaa) do.

grizbob

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2qpkz2ex said:
grizbob":2qpkz2ex said:

Wait, before I do that, I have to pretend it's 1986 again. Let me see, where did I put my leg warmers and "Family Ties" VHS box set?

While you're doing that I'm going back to re-watching XLVIII and basking in being Champs :th2thumbs:

brettb3

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":3teyljm4 said:
Blitzer88":3teyljm4 said:
Still love my Hawks think they can still extend Earl and Sherm but, Is anyone else as frustrated about this offseason as I am right now. I mean I knew we were gonna lose some of our guys, but I did not think we would lose, what, 12 of our free agents. Plus this is one offseason where guys seem to come visit and leave without a contract. That usually hasn't been the case with this front office. Also, we have yet to really fill any of those spots that were vacated by departing players and yes I know the draft is upcoming, but you can't fill every need in the draft. And yes I know I'll be bashed for being negative, but I was just expecting a lot more from this offseason. I am just starting to get worried. Okay, rant over for now.

my sentiments exactly. now they better extend earl and sherm, otherwise they honestly would have had wasted this offseason.

biggest blunder so far: not resigning giacomini. he signed in NY for 4 years at 18m. we could easily have had him at that price or less. we have no state income tax here and the COL is much less. we never even made an offer to him. sad. anybody who watched the whole season realizes how important it was to get him back after he missed 8 weeks. he stabilized the right side after RW was getting assaulted those 8 weeks.

i understand their philosophy of speed and youth, but sometimes, u just have to keep crucial players until you have their replacements handy. right now we dont have breno's replacement, and no bowie/bailey are TERRIBLE at RT. no argument if u watched the games. they are not the solution at RT, maybe at guard though. this puts us in a situation of probably having to draft RT in the first round or second round, when we could be targeting an elite OG, WR, DT or DE instead. just completely unnecessary if we had extended breno at 4m/year.

but.... atleast we didnt over-extend ourselves by over-paying older, declining, "big name" players. that is what teams like the raiders and jaguars (and broncos hahahaa) do.
Way too early to claim that Bowie/Bailey aren't the answer at RT. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bowie turns out to be an upgrade. I loved Breno's attitude, but he's an average NFL RT.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This is what happens when you win the ring.

And name me one team that was the "Free agency" champ that won the Super Bowl. Last year everyone was oohing and aahing the Dolphins splashy signings. Look at how that worked.

Sustainability is built through drafting cheaper and younger pieces to replace the expensive vets.

plyka

Reaction score
You guys do understand that the team has lost MEDIOCRE players don't you? I think JS/Pete's ideology on personel and player development is rather clear.

1) Talent needs to be special. Either production level special or talent level special.
2) Find special and develop special. Draft value (talent far above draft cost), bring special FA.
3) Pay special, keep special. Do not overpay for mediocre or old (special in the past).
4) Allow mediocre to go away
5) Replace the mediocre with cheap talent, they can provide what the mediocre talent provided, while they are being developed.
6) Rinse and repeat

-----------------------------

TwilightError":2g1lae06 said:
Being frustrated is not a sign of distrust towards JSPC. C'mon.

I admit it, I am a little frustrated that we have lost so many good players and have not signed any, not one, exciting FA:s. It does not mean that I dont trust Carroll and Schneider.. I know this is the life of a Super Bowl winner and I know we cant have a roster like we had last season all the time. It is pretty unique to have such depth and its impossible to maintain for long in a salary cap league. We will still have a brilliant roster, but any injuries will hit us harder than they did last season.

The key is to get Sherm and Earl extended, but I admit that waiting for that is not as exciting than signing a Harvin from somewhere ;) it is what it is.

I can only imagine how frustrating this is for 49er fans :D we used our unique opportunity, they did not.

The truth is that the Hawks have not lost even 1 good player. They have lost mediocre players. Some may have been "good" in the past, but none of them were good in the present time. Golden Tate? Are you kidding me? He is as mediocre as the come. Paying out the nose for someone you can replace in the 4th round is stupid. Red/Clem? These two were good players, but they are not good players now and will not be good next year. I consider them solid or average, otherwise known as mediocre. Very good players in the past, but average today.

I would say the only guy you can even make an argument for is Clemons. I suspect he will fall off next year to average, but a case can be made that he was "good" last year. That said, paying people for past performance is not intelligent.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I am actually excited. I am ready to see what hidden gem PC/JS have in store for us. Free agency is not over maybe we can sign one of those "prove it" guys who looking to parlay their time here into a great signing next year after we lift another trophy ;)

CANHawk

Reaction score
People are remembering Breno through lime colored glasses. Sure he turned into a decent little RT by the time he left Seattle, but he was hardly anything irreplaceable. If Bowie (or is it Bailey) can do the job as well at a fraction of the cost, it's a gain for us.

A whole gotta unnecessary Hand wringing going on right about now...

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3kw0vf77 said:
This is what happens when you win the ring.

And name me one team that was the "Free agency" champ that won the Super Bowl. Last year everyone was oohing and aahing the Dolphins splashy signings. Look at how that worked.

Sustainability is built through drafting cheaper and younger pieces to replace the expensive vets.

It could be argued we were up there for Free Agency champs last year. Avril and Bennett were a coup and look at the impact they had on the field.

I do see what your getting at though