Frustrating offseason

KK84

Reaction score
We have some first and second year players that in my opinion are just a little bit of playing time away from breaking out. We didn't build this team through free agency, and we aren't gonna reload it that way either. Consider free agency as a bonus, a means to add competition or pick up an overlooked talent. I am absolutely the opposite of frustrated, the FO is doing a great job of keeping us loaded with talent without mortgaging the future. This year is going to be fun.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
There is absolutely zero to be frustrated with. Not making moves in haste with this roster might be the best thing this team did. There are still improving players on this team and they need to stand with what has worked for them.

There just isn't a reason to be concerned until there is evidence that the Hawks don't know what they are doing.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is almost to a man how I saw this period playing out. The difference was that I didn't think they would be able to get Bennett done, so kudos for that, as long as it doesn't preclude them from signing one of the "big three".

I was hopeful McDonald would be cheaper, and I was hoping to retain Schofield, but besides that, I fully expected Tate, Breno, Thurmond, Browner, Bryant, Rice and Clem to all be gone, and I didn't expect to be able to sign any outside free agents.

Frustrating? Yes, absolutely! Of course.
Necessary? Also yes.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sometimes I want to eat all my cake and still have cake left. So frustrating!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Oh Blitzah! You sooo crayzah!

The replacements you speak of come from A) the draft and B) the "second round" of FA; after everyone cuts down to 53. Those depth and rotational guys you seek are available like day laborers in front of Home Depot!

DrDix

Reaction score
HawkWow":2jciyj0o said:
I understand the OP's concerns...and I have a few of my own (Harvin / WR/ OL) but I am far from frustrated. Now, had we NOT won 48, I would be frustrated right now. But getting our title has changed my outlook immensely. Of course I want to repeat, but I want a repeat about 25% as bad as I wanted our 1st. House money now, IMO.

So how much weaker is our D without Clem, Red, Thurmond? Not much, but let's call it - 3 pts.

I suggest we bolster the OL, grab another wide out and IF Harvin can play the entire season, those 3 things should get us no less than an additional 7, maybe even 10 pts per contest. A healthy, happy, protected RW with talent to throw to, would make our pt differential even more impressive than last year and that gives us a very good chance of repeating while extending Earl at the same time. More than 1 way to skin a cat. ..and all that.

Uhh what?

The defense takes a large hit losing a one man run stopping machine in Red, let alone losing our slot corner and another valuable pass rusher.

Not to mention, the O-line needs to be fixed somehow.

There is a draft, but you can't expect every draft to have even just 3 worthwhile players for your team.

Still very confident in the core we have, however.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":33yw3gjz said:
Just makes me that much more antsy for the Draft. God is it April yet?

You mean MAY....Right????

lukerguy

Reaction score
We won the offseason as soon as we retained Bennett. Love that guy.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DrDix":zf7cfkh8 said:
HawkWow":zf7cfkh8 said:
I understand the OP's concerns...and I have a few of my own (Harvin / WR/ OL) but I am far from frustrated. Now, had we NOT won 48, I would be frustrated right now. But getting our title has changed my outlook immensely. Of course I want to repeat, but I want a repeat about 25% as bad as I wanted our 1st. House money now, IMO.

So how much weaker is our D without Clem, Red, Thurmond? Not much, but let's call it - 3 pts.

I suggest we bolster the OL, grab another wide out and IF Harvin can play the entire season, those 3 things should get us no less than an additional 7, maybe even 10 pts per contest. A healthy, happy, protected RW with talent to throw to, would make our pt differential even more impressive than last year and that gives us a very good chance of repeating while extending Earl at the same time. More than 1 way to skin a cat. ..and all that.

Uhh what?

The defense takes a large hit losing a one man run stopping machine in Red, let alone losing our slot corner and another valuable pass rusher.

Not to mention, the O-line needs to be fixed somehow.

There is a draft, but you can't expect every draft to have even just 3 worthwhile players for your team.

Still very confident in the core we have, however.

I assume your "Uhh what?" translates to "I have a hard time with reading comprehension". Had you read my post, you would see I emphasize our need to improve the O-line. In fact, I allude to this no less than 3 times in that single post that apparently so stymied you.

And yes, "there is a draft". In fact, 2 of them. This year's and last. Hill, Simon and / or Williams will likely step up but that is not certain, and why I called our current D 3 pts worse than last year's. You remain "very confident in (our) core" so just how many points would you deduct?

Please disregard my sarcastic tone if English is your 2nd (or 3rd) language.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It sounds like Bitzer has take a step back from the edge. I don't want to push him back out there, but if we think the draft is going to relieve offseason frustration, we've forgotten past PC/JS drafts. When CMichael was drafted that high, most people were shaking their heads. Then we daft Ware, and it appeared we weren't filling depth needs at all. Wasted picks! Simon? Williams? Hill?

Did these players actually provide depth where we thought we needed it? We knew we needed O-Line help and nobody was taken early.

Even with these "frustrating" or "questionable" moves, we still won the SB.

I'm not worried about a draft that makes us go "hmmmm" because in the end, besides that seemingly being a initial reaction to much of PC/JS drafts, the team will still be quite strong. Volsung listed above some of the players I'm excited to see on the field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing them draft some guy nobody has ever heard of. Only to hear a bunch of people freak out, and then to see the same player contribute in the future.
Turns out these guys know a little about talent evaluation. Just sayin

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":39mtxy4x said:
It sounds like Bitzer has take a step back from the edge. I don't want to push him back out there, but if we think the draft is going to relieve offseason frustration, we've forgotten past PC/JS drafts. When CMichael was drafted that high, most people were shaking their heads. Then we daft Ware, and it appeared we weren't filling depth needs at all. Wasted picks! Simon? Williams? Hill?

Did these players actually provide depth where we thought we needed it? We knew we needed O-Line help and nobody was taken early.

I'm not worried about a draft that makes us go "hmmmm" because in the end, besides that seemingly being a initial reaction to much of PC/JS drafts, the team will still be quite strong. Volsung listed above some of the players I'm excited to see on the field.
I don't know how the last draft confused you when PC came out before it and said they're drafting for the future and that most of the guys will have a hard time seeing the field, let alone making the roster. That's how complete the team was before the draft.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1rzq4qvb said:
Ad Hawk":1rzq4qvb said:

I don't know how the last draft confused you when PC came out before it and said they're drafting for the future and that most of the guys will have a hard time seeing the field, let alone making the roster. That's how complete the team was before the draft.

Fans on this board, then as now, saw obvious needs on the O-line weren't that filled early where the better talent typically lies. That breeds confusion.

But don't mistake that confusion on my part as frustration akin to Blitzer's. I trust our FO, and realized that depth was being taken care of. I'm good with that, and think it shows foresight.

My main point is that the draft won't provide the upper that some of the depressed on this board hope for, nor will it be a panacea for all our thin spots. it may provide depth for positions we don't think we need. Again, I'm cool with that. But some won't, including our worried friend Blitzer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Blitzer88":32l5v5s6 said:
Mindsink":32l5v5s6 said:
Are you forgetting that there is a draft coming up?

Also, teams that make lots of free agent moves in the offseason are generally losing teams who want to make over their squad. We don't fall into that category.

Did you read my post? I talked about the draft. I just don't think we can fill all our needs through it.

We did read your post, you said you're disappointed with all the free agents leaving and not much coming back.

I think you're judging whether this off season is a success or failure too soon. Still have to have the draft, still have to go through off season OTA's, pre-season, etc.

August is the time to be disappointed if the guys we pick up in the draft and 2nd and 3rd stringers aren't stepping up to fill the spots vacated by these free agents leaving. But as of now, too soon to tell.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":13wp7ao8 said:
-The Glove-":13wp7ao8 said:
Ad Hawk":13wp7ao8 said:

Fans on this board, then as now, saw obvious needs on the O-line weren't that filled early where the better talent typically lies. That breeds confusion.

But don't mistake that confusion on my part as frustration akin to Blitzer's. I trust our FO, and realized that depth was being taken care of. I'm good with that, and think it shows foresight.

My main point is that the draft won't provide the upper that some of the depressed on this board hope for, nor will it be a panacea for all our thin spots. it may provide depth for positions we don't think we need. Again, I'm cool with that. But some won't, including our worried friend Blitzer.
gotcha... I see what you're saying

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":asn0sv4l said:
Still love my Hawks think they can still extend Earl and Sherm but, Is anyone else as frustrated about this offseason as I am right now. I mean I knew we were gonna lose some of our guys, but I did not think we would lose, what, 12 of our free agents. Plus this is one offseason where guys seem to come visit and leave without a contract. That usually hasn't been the case with this front office. Also, we have yet to really fill any of those spots that were vacated by departing players and yes I know the draft is upcoming, but you can't fill every need in the draft. And yes I know I'll be bashed for being negative, but I was just expecting a lot more from this offseason. I am just starting to get worried. Okay, rant over for now.

Not frustrated in the least. This will happen next year too at an even more painful rate.

I expected this to occur. And by the philosophy that Pete instilled, I knew this would be the byproduct. Seattle is going to be a team that reloads early and often. It's why I didn't buy the idea last year that we didn't have roster spots so we should trade up for quality over quantity in the draft. It's why I generally discount those ideas here this year.

Seattle is going to sustain its success, by continually allowing their tier 2 stars to earn their second contracts on other clubs. So expect Seattle to ideally keep 6-9 rookies from every draft class on it's roster.

No team can pay all of their players. That's a reality. There's two ways a club can go.

1. Try like mad to keep all your players. When teams try to hang on to their tier 2 stars, they inevitably go through periods of boom/bust in order to reload on talent. They end up having to structure deals in poisonous ways that mortgage cap health for immediate relief. Then the piper comes calling and they have to purge your roster wholesale and rebuild

2. Be selective of the players you retain. Allow your tier 2 stars to move on. And reload your team relentlessly with talent.

Seattle opts for #2. As fans, it seems much more treacherous. The uncertainty is thick. The lack of hype wears on you throughout the offseason. But Seattle has made it's championship team on unheralded -- even viciously panned draft decisions. This organization believes in the players in it's program and take a long term view. How many posts have we seen here where we're panning our 2013 draft class because it didn't produce anything?

It produced the next wave of players. We have depth that is ascending this year. Next year when Lynch is let go (and I expect fully that he will), Christine Michael will be the feature back. Bryant is gone. Williams/Scruggs are there to elevate. Thurmond/Browner are gone. Maxwell is inserted in his place. Maxwell will go next year. Simon or Lane will replace him. Avril will go next year. Mayowa will replace him.

This organization's philosophy of Win Forever actually requires that we constantly reload with elevated players within our program. They go hand in hand. Guys like Wright and Maxwell and Smith are going to go next year. Wagner may well too in 2016. We will naturally try to resign them. But it'll be at a discount. The philosophy of our sustained success requires it.

I fully expect this upcoming draft to be nearly as underwhelming as 2013's was. But if you look at the guys we bring in -- I think you'll see the pattern emerging as Seattle has evolved from it's original talent anywhere phase of 2010-2012, to a talent sustenance phase of 2013 and beyond. Seattle will predraft for future need. Get a lot of players that can make the squad and develop for a year. Spackle roster holes with mundane talents like Paul McQuistan/Breno Giacomini/Steve Schilling.

I should add, that this system has another happy byproduct. Seattle pretty much gets any UDFA prospect they want. Because our system provides opportunity. Real opportunity. It seems every year we have 2 to 3 guys that we didn't even take with our half a dozen day 3 picks that either make this team or make another team. UDFAs know that they will get a shot every bit as real as if they were drafted on day 1.

When Pete laid out what he wanted his program to be -- I understood it immediately in 2010 for what it was. A modified college program. With the ability to keep around 10 players beyond their rookie deals. But in essence a revolving door of cheap rookie talent. The fuel for this program is the draft. And in particular -- day 3 of the draft.

This team simply owns that day. In a way few other teams have ever managed to do so. It's going to be fraught with frustration and doubt here amongst the local fanbase. It'll continue to be met with derision nationally. But it's our organization's comfort zone. And it's where the genius of this team truly resides.

Not only does it keep us continually healthy cap wise. But it prevents or guards from our players ever becoming complacent or satisfied. This team is a continual treadmill of hunger and desire. It is meant to rotate guys in. To keep that fire fueled, you have to accept letting good players go in order for the next guy to shine.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
The posters that keep preaching about how the draft is going to fix everything, will be the same posters freaking out and questioning the draft picks as they occur.

Barthawk

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":3vo7ik40 said:
TwistedHusky":3vo7ik40 said:
This is why it is very very rare for a SB team to repeat.
8 repeats in the 48 years of the Super Bowl. So that's 16 Super Bowl Wins that were part of a repeat. 1/3 is not very very rare.

Only two teams have repeated in the Salary Cap era, 97-98 Bronchos and 03-04 Pats..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawk 17":3ltmjds6 said:
The posters that keep preaching about how the draft is going to fix everything, will be the same posters freaking out and questioning the draft picks as they occur.

I haven't seen anyone say the draft will fix "everything."

But the draft should address some key issues like O-line and WR, and add some much needed depth. Bottom line, if we're going to repeat then Pete and John are going to have to work some magic in the draft, as well as current players that are going to get their chance for more playing time to step up.

If not? We're going to be in trouble. Luckily we won the SB 43-8, so there's some wiggle room there.

Latest posts