Future QB guaranteed contracts

Torc

Reaction score
There have been a couple of really high profile QB contracts with a ton of guaranteed money, where the QB in question hasn't panned out. Obviously, I'm talking Russell and Watson. It's possible that they turn it around, but assuming they don't the organization is completely hamstrung for several years. They either have to keep an ineffective QB and eat up a lot of salary cap for several years, or bite the bullet, release the QB and eat up a ton of salary cap for a season.

I had originally speculated that the next collective bargaining agreement might include some terms to protect teams in that case, but still allow the players to be paid guaranteed dollars but a quick googling found that the current agreement is in place until 2030.

I'm curious what people think - do the Watson and Wilson contracts remove the high guaranteed dollars for all but a select few QBs or do they continue to become the standard? The current situation destroys parity by really limiting teams if they make a bad choice or even an unlucky decision.