Game 1 thoughts

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":33rrls4s said:
I felt like Geno showed why he is not a backup even.

Lynch looked much better

Oline well with mostly backups they were okay

Penny played well

DK showed some great stuff and with a better QB would have looked great. He was easily open on several routes but the passes were thrown to far or so close to the sidelines no catch could have been made. I re watched a lot and listened to Huard and others yesterday and today, and they saw what I saw.

Jazz played great and had the better of the QBs throwing to him which helps.

Ursua has a real shot to take the ADB role as he just has a feel for things.

I am excited by the Wrs I am thinking could be a great WR crops, size and speed

Lockett
DK
Ferguson
Ursua
Brown
????

I think our LBs will be the strength on Defense and I dont mean just the starting 3 we could go 6 deep with legit players

Feeling better about the safeties for sure

CB not enough to really know.

ST was amazing

If play continues we will have two big play big receivers here, we waited to long to get one but to luck into having two .... We won't let either go if they both continue with how they played last night.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":2zv1dh36 said:
John63":2zv1dh36 said:
I felt like Geno showed why he is not a backup even.

Lynch looked much better

Oline well with mostly backups they were okay

Penny played well

DK showed some great stuff and with a better QB would have looked great. He was easily open on several routes but the passes were thrown to far or so close to the sidelines no catch could have been made. I re watched a lot and listened to Huard and others yesterday and today, and they saw what I saw.

Jazz played great and had the better of the QBs throwing to him which helps.

Ursua has a real shot to take the ADB role as he just has a feel for things.

I am excited by the Wrs I am thinking could be a great WR crops, size and speed

Lockett
DK
Ferguson
Ursua
Brown
????

I think our LBs will be the strength on Defense and I dont mean just the starting 3 we could go 6 deep with legit players

Feeling better about the safeties for sure

CB not enough to really know.

ST was amazing

If play continues we will have two big play big receivers here, we waited to long to get one but to luck into having two .... We won't let either go if they both continue with how they played last night.

Agreed and Brown is not exactly small at 6' 3". Be interesting if they keep 6 who the 6th is. Moore was very underwhelming last night, and he did disappear for much of the season last year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1cvi3508 said:
Jazz Ferguson looks like a stud. I like him more than Kasen Williams a couple years ago

Nice comparison, very favorable to Jazz.
Kasen was a has-been former athletic freak who a devastating injury turned into a stiff, and he still thought it was all about him even at the NFL level. Richard Sherman sure thought he was a roster lock, though. Kasen did have a man-among-boys Apple Cup back in the day though.

Jazz looked like an NFL-level WR and people say he also blocks and just might be coachable and team-oriented. Promising start.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
xray":1sr0wt98 said:
Lynch outplayed Smith by a mile..Jazz outplayed DK...Blair is as advertised ... Pass rush was better than expected.

That's a hard statement to make. Lynch and Jazz were playing against 3's and 4's, whereas Smith and DK were playing against 1's and 2's.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2isgmq2l said:
xray":2isgmq2l said:
Lynch outplayed Smith by a mile..Jazz outplayed DK...Blair is as advertised ... Pass rush was better than expected.

That's a hard statement to make. Lynch and Jazz were playing against 3's and 4's, whereas Smith and DK were playing against 1's and 2's.
Would like to see DK play with Russ or Lynch next week.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
xray":7yjw52db said:
Jazz outplayed DK

Except that... DK was getting wide open regularly. Not really his fault that the QB couldn't hit him.

John63

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3bl1ey47 said:
xray":3bl1ey47 said:
Jazz outplayed DK

Except that... DK was getting wide open regularly. Not really his fault that the QB couldn't hit him.

Exactly

chris98251

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":215zowxh said:
xray":215zowxh said:
Jazz outplayed DK

Jazz don't get an opinion on this, he may be too close to the situation :)

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Lots of overreaction on the first preseason game. The games are largely to see who your special teamers are going to be. The bulk of your starters are decided before training camp starts, most of the backup battles come down to the work you put into training camp and your special teams performance.

All the other stuff is just glitz for the fans to make them think they are watching real football.

We played a guy at RB the whole second half that just walked into the clubhouse that same day. He's not going to make the team no matter how well he does, but someone needed to play RB and no use putting in the real players in a meaningless game.

My take on game one is that DK Metcalf is fast. Jazz can box out guys that will be on the street next week. Lynch was fired up to beat his old team. Smith was just trying to make it through to his surgery today. And I'm not sure how we are going to generate pressure without safety blitzes.

xray

Reaction score
If Jazz keeps this up ; Moore is down the road . I hope Ursua makes the team. he is 25 years old and it shows in a good way . Playmaker for sure. IMO

Seafan

Reaction score
I don't trust Moore's hands. With the talent in this camp the Hawks may move on.

Mick063

Reaction score
Love Martin off the edge.

Martin and Green are the players I am most interested in. I think they both blossom this year. Pete is giving them the opportunity to shine.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Liked what I saw from Blair, Barton, and Amadi. So far, I have a strong feeling that Amadi is going to carve out a big role for himself this season.

On offense, Jazz "Hands" Ferguson balled out, I really like his catch radius and body control. And I think they need to keep Ursua, we all know he should have had 2 catches, but it's more than just that, he showed the ability to find the ball and go after it, and I really liked how he got himself open on those 3rd downs, very Baldwin-esque.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Ugo Amadi will be a stud. I think he will take over the Justin Coleman role and we won't miss a beat.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Thing I liked about Ugo is he just seemed very natural out there. Looked like a vet. Same with Barton. Smart players.

Ursua looked good but small. He needs a year of beefing up his frame. But if he’s slippery enough he may survive.

McGruff

Reaction score
Question.

With all the slobbering that Ferguson is getting around here for his statline, why arent we talking more about Bo Scarbrough?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2tvdo86t said:
Question.

With all the slobbering that Ferguson is getting around here for his statline, why arent we talking more about Bo Scarbrough?

Good question. Probably because the top two (possibly 3 if Travis Homer turns out good) spots at RB are secure, while the receiver spots are up in the air and we're desperate to replace Baldwin

McGruff

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3sxfoxrb said:
McGruff":3sxfoxrb said:
Question.

Good question. Probably because the top two (possibly 3 if Travis Homer turns out good) spots at RB are secure, while the receiver spots are up in the air and we're desperate to replace Baldwin
Fair answer.