Genius

hawktawk

Reaction score
I have this nagging feeling that PC felt that the best way to beat Washington was to keep RGIII in the game. Is it possible that he instructed the defense not to hit RGIII? On his 1\4 speed trot out of bounds it almost looked that the Seahawks let him hobble along without any great effort to take him down. As soon as RGIII left the game, the dogs were unleashed, blitz, sack, boom. Pete's remarks in the post game interview almost sounded like PC was upset that RGIII was allowed to play as long as he did. "Painful" and "fricken" are two words that seemed out of place. Pete would not criticize an opposing coach, but I don't think Coach Carroll would even have stated RGIII if the coaching roles were reversed. Once the Seattle coaching staff knew how ineffective the Redskin offense would be with Robert in the game, I think they might have called the BOOM off.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
hawktawk":27sz3ek0 said:
I have this nagging feeling that PC felt that the best way to beat Washington was to keep RGIII in the game. Is it possible that he instructed the defense not to hit RGIII? On his 1\4 speed trot out of bounds it almost looked that the Seahawks let him hobble along without any great effort to take him down. As soon as RGIII left the game, the dogs were unleashed, blitz, sack, boom. Pete's remarks in the post game interview almost sounded like PC was upset that RGIII was allowed to play as long as he did. "Painful" and "fricken" are two words that seemed out of place. Pete would not criticize an opposing coach, but I don't think Coach Carroll would even have stated RGIII if the coaching roles were reversed. Once the Seattle coaching staff knew how ineffective the Redskin offense would be with Robert in the game, I think they might have called the BOOM off.

I noticed this as well. Either he recognized that keeping an injured RG3 in the game was the best choice, or he genuinely feared for the guy's health and safety (I know I did, as evidenced by a shack post I made). There were a couple times where our guys could have squared up for a hit on him but let him get out of bounds or hit the turf first.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
If this is the case, it was a brilliant move. Play to the guys ego, and let him bring the team down.

On a side note, if he keeps playing the way he does...he won't be in the league very long. Mike Vick version 2.0.

hawkmanj

Reaction score
Maybe...Though maybe they were also being extra careful not to get any flags on the East coast golden boy?

I too do not forsee a long career for RGIII. Heck of a player, but too much of a liability. Russel knows how to go down and get out most of the time..

Chapman

Reaction score
Pretty similar to what I thought about our pass rush.
Pete knew when healthy, RG3 can bust a run at any moment. I feel they gave him a cushion instead of over persuing him and not having any coverage down field.
As soon as RG3 came out Pete adapted the play calling to suit Cousins play style, which is way more conventional

WSUhawk4life

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":w7n50afz said:
If this is the case, it was a brilliant move. Play to the guys ego, and let him bring the team down.

On a side note, if he keeps playing the way he does...he won't be in the league very long. Mike Vick version 2.0.
:13:

I see Vick 2.0 as well

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Keeping him in the game would not explain the Irvin personal foul.

They were playing contain, and when they finally knew he had no mobility they laid him out several times.

RGIII is really damn good, and you saw what Cousins was like. Do you really think Pete was trying to avoid Cousins? Not a chance.

hawk45

Reaction score
Well if Cousins got the no-blitz treatment like RG3 was (inexplicably) getting he might've done much better.

I get focusing on contain to start with but it was clear early Griffin's wheels were bad. It's inexplicable why we didn't go after him more (blitzing) and that's fertile ground for conspiracy theories.

Unless they were afraid of leaving Browner on an island. I could see that, Browner was out of position a few times fairly badly.

Osprey

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2a3uxjtt said:
Keeping him in the game would not explain the Irvin personal foul.

They were playing contain, and when they finally knew he had no mobility they laid him out several times.

RGIII is really damn good, and you saw what Cousins was like. Do you really think Pete was trying to avoid Cousins? Not a chance.

I don't disagree with the PF call, but when viewed in context it was a lot more incidental that it appeared in the shortened replay. Bruce was popping back to his feet and momentum carried him into RGIII. I'm sure he could have stopped if he really wanted to, but don't think it was a total cheap shot.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
To assume PC didn't want our defense to harass or hit RG3 so to keep him in the game is quite a stretch. RG3 and Morris looked unstoppable in the first quarter and we were behind nearly the whole game long. When we had a chance to hit him we did--we were even flagged for a late hit on RG3 by Thomas. I think the biggest factors in our poor play and lack of pressure was the poor field and Washington's early running success.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
He was obviously hurt. I saw it on that same scamper to the sidelines and he gained about an extra four yards hopping on one foot. But the defense seemed to just lay off. I hadn't thought of the OP's theory before, but reading it now... it makes a whole heck of a lot of sense. Think of one specific situation here... week 1. The Hawks are playing pretty well for a rookie QB in his first game and John Skelton is really pretty much sucking. The team has a good handle on the Cards offense and is keeping it a back and forth game. Skelton is kept in check and is getting worse as the game progresses. He is their first stringer, and after picking up a lot of wins last year, it stands to reason that he is their best option. The Hawks knock him out of the game and Kolb comes in and immediately lights a fire under the team and wins it with a long drive and a TD, because Kolb was healthy and eager to prove himself, and brought a different skillset than Skelton (he is better at staying in the pocket than Skelton, thus Kolb's frequent injuries from holding the ball to the bitter end and getting crushed).

In week 1 if the Hawks do exactly what they did to a hurt RG3 and keep him in the game for the remainder by backing off a bit, then what happens? The Hawks win and are a #2 seed and have a bye Sunday. But by taking out the injured #1 guy and going to the healthy #2 guy who definitely has something to prove and like Kolb has shown that he can play well at times (well, he's done it more so than Kolb so far on a percentage basis.... Cousins looks to be the real deal, Kolb was always "potential"), then you're putting your defense at a disadvantage and risking removing a cold hand with a bum wheel and inserting a potential hot hand with no injury concerns who can do precisely what Kolb did and hit receivers (especially on a tiring D) and turn the game. It didn't happen until much too late, and it only happened because Robert slipped on that godawful kitty litter field while trying to retrieve a low snap. It's not so far fetched if you think Pete is always thinking about the situation and comparing this game to week 1 which was quite similar in that our offense wasn't moving that well for a while and we had AZ stopped cold while Skelton was in, much as we did to RG3 in quarters 2, 3, and 10 minutes or so of 4 before he left. Interesting theory indeed.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I can see your point... but i'm not buying it.

Our whole identity is based on being one of the most physical teams in the year, and we get to the biggest game of the season and our coach tells our players to be less physical? No chance.

drdiags

Reaction score
The Seahawks feared RGIII. It happens. That is why they got gashed in the beginning. His drives after the 2nd TD probably prevented them from dialing up the heat, since they were mainly 3 and outs. I think the longest drive he had after he got hurt was 24 yds and most likely mainly runs. Except when they were messing with my boy Trufant. Hang in there Pops. Hope Douglas doesn't rip him up.

garydrake425

Reaction score
I seen BB try and lay Bob out as he try'd to go outta bounds. BB missed but Bob had to do a awkward spin jump thing to get out the way. BB might have even clipped him a little. I don't think Pete was trying to keep him in. I did notice the pressure towards the end we were getting and I'd like to see more of it next week.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I didn't see the game - just highlights - but didn't the Cowboys go after Griffin a lot?

In our game, when Cousins went in, he had limited time and a 10-point deficit. That's a fairly standard situation to bring some heat on a less-mobile QB.

NYCoug

Reaction score
hawktawk":3hv88xd0 said:
Pete's remarks in the post game interview almost sounded like PC was upset that RGIII was allowed to play as long as he did. "Painful" and "fricken" are two words that seemed out of place. Pete would not criticize an opposing coach, but I don't think Coach Carroll would even have stated RGIII if the coaching roles were reversed.

Interesting food for thought.

When Pete was in a similar situation 2 seasons ago, before the Rams game for the division in '10, we saw that he went with the healthy option in Whitehurst over the injured Hasselbeck. That was a pretty big spot and he went with the backup. I wonder what he would do now. I think you'd have to trust Wilson to do what's best for the team, himself, and the future. You know he'd play just as smart and composed out there, so in my eyes he'd let him play. Russell's playing style is not as reckless.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2c6f3rd4 said:
Ridiculous.

I'm sorry BFS but "the kids" have officially changed that word to "ridonculous" according to my 9 year old. He's asked me to spread the word, so I'm doing my part. ;)